13 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2011 11:49 PM by GoodEggGuy

Low system resources when rendering

GoodEggGuy

I'm running Premiere Elements 9.0 on my PC (a laptop running Win 7 64-bit, with a i7 X920 CPU, 8gb of RAM and a GeForce GTX 285M graphics card. I'm also running a huge virtual page, 64gb of my SSD, though I was running it on 'auto-allocate' previously and that gave the same issue.

I am using FotoMorph to create a video of images morphing from one thing to another. It's a little over 2 minutes long at 30 frames per second. FotoMorph can export the final output as Windows .AVI files or .swf files. I've tried both extensively, using heigh/med/low quality settings and it makes mo difference. I've saving those files out at 640x480 resolution, so nothing taxing there. I've also tried 720x480 but it seems to make no odds either way.

When I import the .AVI or .swf file into Premiere Elements I add a narration MP3 and a soundtrack MP3 that each run nearly the full length of the video, and that's all I'm doing. Then I render it out to create my final output. I've tried the Share > Computer > Adobe Flash Video option using the FLV - Web Large, NTSC Source (Flahs 8 and Higher) preset (creates 640x480 .flv files). I've also tried the Share > Computer > AVI option using the DV NTSC Standard presets (creates 720x480 Microsoft .AVI files).

Irrespective of the options I choose, I get the same message at about 40%-50% of the way through rendering: Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution.

irrespective of the options I chose, when I play back the clip, I get audio through to the end but the video stops and becomes a red screen at exactly the same point each time, and remains a red screen till the end.

I have also tried splitting the FotoMorph export into multiple chunks, stitching the individual .AVI or .swf files together in Premiere Elements, rather than having a single two-minute file. It made no difference.

I'm stuggling to understand why I'd run out of system memory on my system when I'm simply adding sound to a two minute video. The rendering of two minutes of video shouldn't be beyond my machine - I'm sure many lower specced machines do it every day, in fact. And the warning happens at the same stage irrespective of whether I'm going for high quality, medium quality, low quality. I've tried 368x272 .FLV output from Premiere Elements, and that made no difference, so it doesn't seem to be about the quantity of data being processed.

Can someone please help me find out what's going on and overcome my problem?

-M-

Martin

All Round Good Egg

• 1. Re: Low system resources when rendering
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Martin,

Can you list the full specs. of your system's I/O, i.e. all of your HDD's, their size, speed, defragmented free space, controller type and how you have them allocated?

Though the other specs. of your system look good, from RAM to Page File, the only mention that I see of I/O is that SSD.

This is a general ARTICLE on tuning up PrE, and you have probably already done everything in the first part of it, but there are links to several other articles, such as tuning up the system and the OS, that might be useful. Then, there are links to some tools that can be used to check things like how well your RAM is performing.

Resources and memory can be quite complex, and it's not just about installed RAM and the Page File. In that article are some additional thoughts, and many are contained in the Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine link.

Good luck, and hope that something is helpful,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Low system resources when rendering
            GoodEggGuy Level 1

I'm running a Kingston snvp325S2512BG, 512GB SSD. I've never had it be a bottleneck.

The strange part is that I use Photoshop daily, working with some big files (1Gb+), and I've never even known a slowdown, let alone a system warning.

I'll check out the other link and the cross-links from it, Hunt... thanks for that. <fingers crossed>

-M-

Martin

All Round Good Egg

• 3. Re: Low system resources when rendering
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you only have a single HDD, and everything is on it. Is that correct?

Do you have the physical capabilities to add another HDD? A large SATA, for the Projects, the Media and the Scratch Disks, would be good, and speed things up, but might not directly address this resources/memory issue. I do not want you to think that it will definitely fix things, but overall will make video editing a better, more fluid experience. The minimum I/O recommended is a 2x HDD system, with a 3x being even better. Much beyond that, things do still speed up, but the bang for the buck is much less.

As for the running of PS, it is intensive, but pales in comparisson to editing video, with is almost as intense an operation, as one can perform on their computer. Only CAD and heavy 3D trump it, but are usually run on specialized workstations, optimized for just those tasks.

Good luck, and I hope that something in those articles, linked above, will give you a "fix." Please report your progress. Remember, resource and memory issues can be tough to track down, and can be complex and tied to other things, like active, real-time anti-virus scanning in progress, that locks files, and steals CPU cycles. Please be patient, and expect to find that many of the tips do nothing for you. Still, they are good, overall tips.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                GoodEggGuy Level 1

Yes, I run everything off one SSD. The machine cannot house another drive internally, but I can always work off a USB2 hard drive for the project files and/or scratchh disk. Intuitively that seems like a step backwards from the SSD, but I have a 1Tb WD Passport SE drive I could plug in if you think it'd help.

Other than that, I'm ploughing through the other stuff now... we'll see!

• 5. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are contemplating externals (a good way to go, BTW), please read this ARTICLE first.

Though my laptop has a 3x 200GB I/O, and my workstation is now up to 10x, I still use externals (FW-800's) and they work very well. With my new systems, I will be working primarily with eSATA externals, but will still need the FW-800 connections, as I am so heavily invested in those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Video editing via USB drive does not really work... the data transfer rate is too slow... you need eSata or Firewire 800

eSata Dock http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                    1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                    2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                    3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write files
                    Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                    You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                    Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                    You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                    A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                    One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 7. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                      GoodEggGuy Level 1

Unfortunately, there's also a financial consideration - rushing out and buying an eSATA drive just for this purposes isn't feasible right now, so I have to live with the hardware at my disposal. I understand the issue, but it also shouldn't be causing the problem I'm having. I'll see if any of the other things I'm trying will help....

• 8. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                        GoodEggGuy Level 1

Well, I've now spent hours working through every option possible, and I still get the exact same result. I have to say, though, if my PC can't handle more than a minute of low-res video, 99% of users can give up on Premiere Elements for doing any video enditing. No, I suspect there's something else going on. Perhaps it's a feature of the export files from FotoMorph?

• 9. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

With adequately spec'ed. and tuned PC's and Mac's, most users do not have issues, so long as their Assets are not problematic.

With your tuning, and your system, I would definitely look to FotoMorph. Might be as simple as a setting there. I do not know that program, so cannot help. One suggestion, however, would be to also post to the Community Forum at Muvipix.com. I seem to recall that one user, at least, uses FotoMorph, and maybe they can shed some light for you. Also, many users there are on PrE too, so should prove helpful. You might want to add a link to this thread, so they can see what has already been recommended, and what you have tried, to save you having to read the exact same stuff all over agin. Lot of good, friendly and very helpful folk over there. You will see some "familiar faces," but many in that community do not hang out here.

Good luck, and please report your progress,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                            GoodEggGuy Level 1

Looks like I have a solution - it was a codec thing, and Digital Media Converter is my friend. Thanks for the tip there, Hunt (via another forum post). Much appreciated!

• 11. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

I've used an older version of DigitalMedia Converter, 2.7, and it has worked very well for me. Glad that it worked in your case.

Some CODEC's are extremely intensive to work with, even when one has it properly installed, and the NLE program can work with it.

Good going, and thank you for reporting success!

Thanks,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                                Ted Smith Level 3

Did you change the codec setting in PE9 or in your Fotomorph program?

If the latter, could you brifly explain for us at this forum how you fixed it and what setting steps did you change to use a different codec?

• 13. Re: Low system resources when rendering
                                  GoodEggGuy Level 1

I couldn't figure out how to change the codec within either App (my codec-fu is weak, I'm afraid - I'm new to this), so I ended up with an extra step in the process. I created my animation in FotoMorph, exporting as Windows AVI, then converted to DV-AVI Type II in Digital Media Converter. Then I used those files in Premiere Elements 9. Bingo, no problem with resources. If I could figure how to change the codec within FotoMorph to directly export DV-AVI Type II files rather than Windows AVI, I'd be delighted!