12 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 9:34 AM by Harm Millaard

Which Nvidia Video card will work perfect with my system and Premiere Pro CS5

greendaydiaz Level 1

This is the current PC system that I have:

Dell Studio XPS 9100

i7-960 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 3.20GHz)

18GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

2TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM (I have 1 more internal hard drive and 3 external hardrives)

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit

I just purchased Premiere Pro CS5 and I am patiently waiting for my CD to arrive and I noticed that only NVIDIA cards are supported by premiere pro, that is if I want to take advantage of the new Mercury Playback engine (MPE). I work on HD footage for wedding videos and I also do short videos for online streaming. I use Magic Bullet a lot and other effects, nested sequences and multiple layers. I want to take advantage and have the graphic card take the load off the processor. So the logical thing to do is wait and see how my ATI Radeon HD5870 performs with Premiere CS5.

What is the best NVIDIA cards out there for the money? My budget is somewhere in the range of $500 and less.

I was told that the Quadro 4000 ($749 at B&H) would go really nice with my system. But, what about the Quadro 2000 which is half the price? I know many people will get stuck in the video card fever and will start upgrading their video cards because of CS5 MPE and will spend a ton of money on a fraction of an upgrade. I don't want to be that person. I am sure a lot of people are thinking about this as they enter the new CS5 era.

Here's a pretty good video.