23 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2011 5:59 AM by Bill Gehrke

Laptops, screen resolution and CS5

JHBMedia Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop to run CS5. I gave up a few days ago when I discovered that all laptops under £1000 have a screen resolution of 1366x768. Even those that claim to be full HD, reading the small print, seem to be full HD only when playing a movie.

I was planning to buy this one:

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=N53SN-SZ085V

until I read that the full HD is only used to display movies...

Right now I am completely confused since I used to run Adobe in my laptop before the CS versions started to demand higher screen resolution. Does this mean that I cannot find a laptop under £1000 to run CS5?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
          RjL190365 Level 4

It does mean that the sub-$1000 laptops fall short of the 900-pixel minimum vertical monitor resolution that's required to run CS5.x at all without the use of an external monitor. The graphics chips inside of them are capable of higher resolutions - but you will need an external, stationary monitor in order to access those higher resolutions. This completely eliminates one of the two main advantages of a laptop: The ability to use the computer on the go.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
            Alan Craven Level 4

Try this:

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/p576aya/sony-vaio-f13m8eb-16.4-core-i7-740qm-1.73g hz-4gb-500gb-windows-7-home-premium-notebook-pc

It is available from LaptopsDirect for around £800.

The resolution is OK, so is the graphics, for Premiere CS5, but the HDD is weak, and there is no bay for a second HDD.  It also has a firewire port. I am editing HDV on one of these, using an external eSATA disk for media files.

At some point I shall probably replace the HDD with a Seagate Momentus XT.

• 3. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What format material are you planning on editing?

• 4. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                JHBMedia Level 1

From SD to HD 1080p (though have to use P2 1080i workflows for the latter). I already have a desktop PC but I need a laptop for editing while travelling so it wouldn't be the only editing machine. I think Alan's laptop is a good solution (http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/p576aya/sony-vaio-f13m8eb-16.4  -core-i7-740qm-1.73ghz-4gb-500gb-windows-7-home-premium-notebook-pc) since I will be using an external eSATA for the media files. I was just surprised to see that laptops these days are so limited regarding screen resolution.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Reasonable choice there. 4GB of RAM (though you might want to expand that to 8GB if you're going to do much HD editing) and a Clarksfield quad-core (not an Arrandale dual-core) CPU. With a sufficiently fast eSATA drive, it should perform reasonably well when you run the PPBM5 test that Harm and Bill put out.

• 6. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                    Cyberws Level 1

I am planning on purchasing one of these laptops (when it becomes available next week).

This models screen resolution is 1920x1080 hence it IS Full HD.

Software which comes with this laptop (whether or NOT is has a full HD screen itself) allows for upscaling to an external HD monitor which I suspect has caused your confusion.

I personally think this laptop offers incredible value for money. The only critism I have read in reviews is about flex in the middle of its keyboard.

To fix this (if it is a problem) I have already ordered this Clicklet replacement keyboard

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370503928350&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have also purchased a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive. Compared to the Sony this laptop has twice the RAM (with the capacity to double it further to 16GB), a faster and larger HDD and a more powerful GPU with twice the RAM (2GB).

I will be purchasing mine from KSN online. (http://www.ksn-online.co.uk).

Wherever you purchase an ASUS laptop from be EXTREMELY careful to get specification in detailed confirmed before you buy, I believe that ASUS have shipped laptop with the same model number AND barcode that still have differing specification which causes a great deal of confusion even to ASUS own staff.

Regards,

Phil

• 7. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                      JHBMedia Level 1

If you are talking about the Asus, I read somewhere (sorry I can't remember where) that it uses a software to boost the resolution when playing Blu-Ray movies. Have you tested it with CS5? I prefer not to take the risk and purchase the Sony one.

• 8. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                        Cyberws Level 1

I think you are getting confused with the Video Magic software as described on the Asus product page here.

http://uk.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N53SN/

This software can boost lower res media (for example a 720p video clip) up to 1080p for playback.

This is COMPLETELY unrelated to the native screen resolution of the laptop screen. As long as you buy the Full HD version of the ASUS laptop with the 1920x1080 screen then Windows running on the laptop will be at 1920x1080 pixels and hence above the 900 pixel height required for running some Adobe software.

If you can wait until Fri/Sat of this week coming I will be able to 100% confirm compatibility as I have already ordered and paid for a N53SN which should be being air-freighted from ASUS in Taiwan on Monday to arrive at KSN who I am buying it from sometime on Friday (27th). I will be collecting it as soon as it arrives.

With the possible exception of a few machines sold via Dixon Store Groups websites early this week I am not aware of ANY Full HD N53SN laptops being available at ALL in the UK until this shipment arrives this week.

Regards,

Phil.

• 9. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                          JHBMedia Level 1

I found the website where I read that issue of the resolution:

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/137016/asus-n53sn-notebook-pc-intel-core-i7-2630qm-200gh z-8192mb-750gb-156-inch-hd-blu-ray-wlan-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-nvidia-geforce-gt-55 0m-2gb#section_specification

That's right, it says it boosts media content to 1080p, then in the specifications it claims to be 1366 x 768 Pixels. But if there are two versions of this laptop (HD and 1366 x 768) then you are right. I will wait until you test it. Will you post the test result as soon as you get it? I need the laptop before 10th June.

• 10. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, the upscaling of media content to 1080p has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with program compatibility. The fact remains that 1366x768 is not high enough to run Premiere Pro CS5.x at all (I tried this on a desktop equipped with such a low-rez 1366x768 monitor, and CS5 just would not even launch at all - but instead gave an error message stating that the monitor resolution is too low). Even if CS5.x's required minimum resolution is based on total pixel content, 1366x768 still has fewer total pixels than 1280x900. And upscaling does not work at all when outputting to the laptop's built-in monitor; you must use an external monitor connected via HDMI in order for the upscaler to function at all. Upscaling only applies to video content; editing software and its interface do not get upscaled at all. And as I tried to mention, connecting an external (and stationary) monitor completely eliminates the portability of a laptop.

And even if that laptop you're considering could run CS5.x, it is strongly recommended to keep the laptop stationary and tethered to an AC wall outlet. This is because editing and encoding puts a much greater drain on the battery than normal. In the worst-case scenario, a "five-hour" battery will get completely depleted in less than one hour from a full charge. The five-hour claim is when the laptop is powered on but just idling.

• 11. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                              Cyberws Level 1

Boy has this caused some confusion.

As I stated earlier the upscaling software is purely for playing media and has NOTHING to do with whether or not laptop will be compatible with CS5.

As also stated earlier ASUS cause a LOT of confusion by selling different specifications of laptops with the same part number.

As an example both the ovvy listed laptop and the one listed at Asusoutlet below have a model number of N53SN-SZ085V.

http://www.asusoutlet.com/PRD_ProductDetail.aspx?CID=8&PID=1287&ProdID=1287

Yet the Asusoutlet laptop HAS a Full HD 1920x1080 screen.

As displayed in the specification section of the laptop product description at ASUS posted above this laptop is available with two different screen options a 1366x768 screen (which would not be suitable) and a FULL HD 1920x1080 screen which is.

Additionally I have read (and will test as soon as I get laptop) that although not on the Adobe's recommended list it is possible to get the 2GB GeForce GT550M GPU to use Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration for accelerating playback, effect and rendering.

As for battery issues although I have read in reviews that the battery life on this laptop is good (due to the NV Optimus technology) no laptop is going to expect to do any serious Adobe work unless permanently or regularly attached to the mains.

Finally I note that you use external eSATA drives. Although the ASUS does not have an eSATA port this is easily remedied using a USB 3.0 to eSATA adaptor (£15 inc shipping on Ebay)

Regards,

Phil.

• 12. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                Cyberws Level 1

Hi Folks,

Have collected my new Asus N53SN-SZ085V today (from KSN www.ksn-online.co.uk) and just installed Adobe Premier Pro 5.5 to check compatibility.

I can confirm machine works great, Full HD 1920x1080 screen is excellent and Adobe Premier Pro 5.5 installs fine.

In addition following some simple instructions (simple settings changes and editing a text file) Adobe Premier Pro is also working with the Mercury Playback engine running in GPU Accelerated mode.

May post some more details here in about a week when I have used package for some real world HD editing but certainly from a does it install and is the screen resolution compatible I can confirm that all works well.

Regards,

Phil.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                  JHBMedia Level 1

Thanks Phil,

Doubts are cleared now! just a question regarding the graphics card (and the annoyance of finding the same model in different shops with different settings)

You purchased this one:

http://www.ksn-online.co.uk/computers-notebooks-asus-n53sn-sz085v-156-intel-2630qm-8gb-750 gb-windows-home-premium-p-10187.html

What is the difference with this other one?:

http://www.samsunglaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=N53SN-SZ085V

I see the graphics card is different. The latter one has a GT550M that claims to be 2GB.

In other sites I've seen that the maximum RAM is 16GB, but in others it claims to be 8GB max.

Finally, why the size of the laptop is like a 17" one while the screen is 15.6"?

I will definitely go for yours... but with this prices I need to check every single detail.

Regards,

J

• 14. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5

Congratulations,  How about running PPBM5 and submit the results.

• 15. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5

JHBMedia wrote:

1.  I see the graphics card is different. The latter one has a GT550M that claims to be 2GB.

2. In other sites I've seen that the maximum RAM is 16GB, but in others it claims to be 8GB max.

3. Finally, why the size of the laptop is like a 17" one while the screen is 15.6"?

I will definitely go for yours... but with this prices I need to check every single detail.

Regards,

J

1.  If you look at the Asus web site you will see that the basic model number of N53SN  is a GT 550M and the the one other site may be in error

2.  If you look at the specs you will see that there are 4 slots for the memory it you where to replace the 4 each 2 GB SODIMM's with 4 GB SODIMM's it would be 16 GB.

3. Progress

• 16. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                        JHBMedia Level 1

Sorry Bill, but that doesn't really reply any of my questions

• 17. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5

Sorry that you do not understand but that is the best I can do.  Can you be more specific on what you would like to hear?  For instance do you not believe that Asus can install a 15.6 inch screen that has 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution?

• 18. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                            Cyberws Level 1

Quick answer to questions.

Spec on KSN site is wrong as wrong information supplied by ASUS. GPU is GT550M with 2GB.

Max ram confusion is that for dual CPU machines Ram is 8GB, 16GB for quad cores.

17in size is I suspect due to size of mboard in base of unit and hence lid has approximately 1in bezel around screen. Large mboard is most likely to accommodate the 4 mem slots. Pretty certain that machine has 2x4GB and hence 2 free slot making upgrading easy.

Recommend buying from KSN as very good customer service.

Regards.

Phil.

• 19. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                              Alan Craven Level 4

Bill, Some of the confusion arises because you have not noted that both Phil and JHB are UK based, and you are quoting for USA spec systems.  These are often radically different, and often far more expensive than a similar system on your side of the pond!

• 20. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5

Thanks for waking me up!

Here is quote from the KSN site on the memory.  "Memory Supplied: 4 x 2GB DDR3 1333" so do not be surprised when you do open it up.

• 21. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                                  Cyberws Level 1

I have not physically checked RAM yet but both printed specification label on laptop box (ie. The individual one with Serial number etc) states "RAM: DDR3 1333 4G*2)" AND CPUID states that there are Hyundai Electronics P/N: HMT351S6BFR8C-H9, 4096 Mbytes in slots #2 and #4.

• 22. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5
                                                    JHBMedia Level 1

Thanks Phil for the help and confirm that the Asus runs CS5. It seems that it is possible to find under £1000 laptops with high resolution (at least we found two). I will miss having a 17inch screen in that laptop but performance is what counts here and a 17inch with those specifications would have boosted the price. I don't mind too much right now how those 8GB are distributed, when the time comes to upgrade I won't mind replacing them all or just buy 2x4GB.

Shall I close this thread or you are planning to send more details? Maybe if you could explain how to use Mercury Playback with the GT550M would be great. You seem to be an expert in computing.

Regards,

J

• 23. Re: Laptops, screen resolution and CS5

Congratulations, most of the time that manufacturers slip in the cheapest approach to memory it is the smaller modules.  How about sending us your PPBM5 results?