3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2011 2:44 PM by Harm Millaard

Clarification on Scene Detect?

ebinrock

I can't find any clarification on what all connections enable Scene Detect to work.  Is it only via Firewire (IEEE 1394) with the HDV/DV formats, or will it work through SDI/HD-SDI?  In my particular case, I'd like to connect my Sony DSR-1500A DVCAM deck via its add-on SDI board to the HD-SDI input on a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Studio card.  (We don't have that SDI board for the Sony decks yet; right now we're using analog component connections because the Blackmagic card, when installed, disables the use of the computer's built-in Firewire for capture/output.  Obviously there is no Scene Detect with analog connections.)  Computer platform is Windows 7 64-bit Edition.  Blackmagic Design had no definitive answer for me, and said for me to contact Adobe.

• 1. Re: Clarification on Scene Detect?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If the deck outputs the date/timestamp over SDI, it may be possible to use scenedetection if BM supports that, but chances are that since it is already on tape and compression has already taken place, there is no benefit at all from using SDI. You are maybe better off with regular capturing, since the signal has been compressed and nothing will get that back to better quality. SDI is great for live recording, but once recorded on tape, you are out of luck.

• 2. Re: Clarification on Scene Detect?
            ebinrock Level 1

Harm,

Thank you.  My reasons for wanting to go with SDI are not really related to a quality increase (or perceived quality increase); it's more from a practical connection standpoint.  Since Firewire/IEEE-1394 is not supported by the BM card, and the analog component connection takes away video monitoring capability on the Sony DSR-1500A deck -- there are exactly 3 BNC connections for output, configured in the menu for either component, Y/C, or composite, but not simultaneously -- the only remaining option is SDI, which is widely regarded as the professional way to connect digital components anyway.

Dale

Dale Cornibe

Electronic Media/Video Producer

Travis County Media Services/TCTV-17

314 W. 11th St., Suite 140

Austin, TX 78701

Office: (512) 854-4491

Mobile: (512) 674-5985

Fax: (512) 854-4560

Email: dale.cornibe@co.travis.tx.us

Web: www.traviscountytv.org

>>> Harm Millaard <forums@adobe.com> 5/18/2011 4:18 PM >>>

If the deck outputs the date/timestamp over SDI, it may be possible to use scenedetection if BM supports that, but chances are that since it is already on tape and compression has already taken place, there is no benefit at all from using SDI. You are maybe better off with regular capturing, since the signal has been compressed and nothing will get that back to better quality. SDI is great for live recording, but once recorded on tape, you are out of luck.

• 3. Re: Clarification on Scene Detect?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If agree on the SDI connection, far more reliable and sturdy than a flimsy HDMI or firewire connection and with connection length's up to 300 meters ( without repeaters) it definitely is the more pro connection. But whether the date/timestamp signal, which determines whether scene detection is possible,  is sent over the SDI connection and whether BM recognizes it as such, I simply do not know. I guess you have two sources of information, Sony and BM. Either of them should be able to tell you. In this case you are bypassing Adobe by using SDI ingest with Sony and BM, so that is where I would ask first.

Sorry I can't be of more help.