12 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 7:17 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files

mschubb

Thanks in advance for any advice!   I pulled 10 minutes of video from a DVD into Elements 3.0, edited it on the timeline and exported it to a DVD.  The original content is a dub of a finished TV show burned by a production company.... it's the only copy we can get.  My edit excerpts the part of the show that's about a non-profit I help out.

My final output has "jitters" in shots that have motion.  The faster the motion -- like zooms or pans -- the more noticible the jitter.  You can almost ignore it when playing back on a computer, but on a TV it's really obvious.

The only changes I made to the clips after import were:

Interpret Footage => conform to D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9 (1.2)

(so that footage matched the original 16:9 format.)

Where do I start troubleshooting?  The initial project setttings?  Or is this an export problem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

PS: On the original content, it says on screen before the show rolls that the master is "720P 59.94 16:9" -- but I don't know is if that's just the master or also the DVD

• 1. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, starting with heavily-compressed MPEG-2 material, that is then edited and then output - I missed out you are doing the output, but that might have a bearing on the end results. Can you give the full details of your Export?

On the DVD, I would imagine that the 720p was the source, and that it's been reduced to NTSC DV, which will be MPEG-2.

I do not have PrE 3.0, so this is a guess, but do you have the option to choose a "Harddrive camera" Preset, with New Project? You could have, besides the MPEG-2 compression, Field Reversal issues going on too. The HDD Camera Preset will make sure that the Field Order is the same in the Project, as it is with the DVD, and will be with a DVD, if that is your desired output.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
            Barb__O Level 4

Bill Hunt,

I believe that the Hard Drive camcorder setting only started in version 4 of Premiere Elements.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That could well be, and thanks for giving the details. I did not come to PrE, until version 4.0, so do not have the history.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

But it's more likely it's your project settings. When you start your Premiere Elements project, you should select the project settings for DVD or Hard Disk Camcorder. This will automatically reverse the interlacing in your DVD video.

AVIs create video frames using an interlacing format that draws the odd lines of pixels first. MPEGs and DVDs draw the even lines first. So, when you use DVD footage or MPEGs in a project that is set up for AVIs and then output a video from it, you get stuttery video. Using the DVD or Hard Disk project settings will tel the program to compensate for the difference and your results will not stutter.

What project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

• 5. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
                  mschubb Level 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies. (Sorry I didn't understand the points system; thought I could tag you all as helpful.)    Elements 3.0 doesn't have that DVD or Hard Drive project setting, but it looks like this is where the trouble lies.

Ridiculous thing is, I have Premiere Pro 5.03... but it will not ingest the VOB files.  Each file truncates to 30 seconds, even if the file is already pulled off the DVD and in a folder.   I could not find a solution online to that problem, so I tried Elements which did it easily, except for this jitter.

AVAILABLE PROJECT PRESET SETTINGS:

In PE 3.0, I can change the default project settings by creating a new default preset.  In the VIDEO section, If I start with DV - NTSC Widescreen (versus Adobe HDV or DV-Pal) I can create a new preset but it apeears my only changable video options are safe areas and display format.  The "Fields" drop down is grayed-out, defaulted to "Lower Field First" and can't be changed.  (Nothing else I change seems to make it available to change.)

DISPLAY FORMAT dropdown:

>30 fps drop-frame timecode

>30 fps NON-drop-frame timecode

> frames

Are these settings of any use for this problem?

In the GENERAL section, I can open a dialog called PLAYBACK SETTINGS.   Choices there are broken into "Realtime Playback" and "Export."   In Realtime Playback, I can check or uncheck "Desktop Video."   The default is checked, which let's me select an "External Device" or a setting for aspect Ratio Conversion."   External Device Choices are:

None

DV 29.97i (720x480)

DV 25i (720x576)

DV 23.976p (720x480)

Those same external device choices are available under EXPORT.

Maybe Elements 3.0 just can't solve this problem...  Any thoughts?

• 6. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding the issues with the VOB's in the older Pr, this ARTICLE will give you more background.

PrE added support for VOB's (and the MPEG-2 files that they contain), much before PrPro did. It was not until PrPro CS4.2.0, that the "big-brother" got that capability. Before that release, one had to rip the MPEG-2 from the VOB. PrE must have added the capability at PrE 4.0, after your PrE 3.0. Exactly what came when in PrE was where I was at a loss, but Barb O filled me in on that (thanks).

The nice thing about having the correct Preset available, is outlined by Steve above. Unfortunately, that does not seem to have appeared, for one more version - bummer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files

The alternative to using the DVD project preset is to use the regular DV project settings (as you apparently have) and then manually change the field options for each clip. Unfortunately, this is something you have to do one clip at a time (which is why Adobe eventually added the project preset).

Right-click on each DVD or MPEG clip on your timeline and select Field Options. OIn the Field Options screen, select the option to Reverse Field Dominance.

Once you've done that for all of your clips, your DVD output should no longer flicker or stutter.

• 8. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
                        mschubb Level 1

Thanks again!  Hopefully, this is my last question....

Steve -  I have several choices after I check "Reverse Field Dominance."

> None

> Interlace Consecutive Frames

> Always Deinterlace

> Flicker Removal

Just encoded a disk with "None" and still have the problem....  which one should I try next? 

best,

Mark

• 9. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files

So in version 3 they hadn't added reverse field dominance yet? Oh well.

You can use Always Deinterlace.

• 10. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As it seems that PrE 3.0 lacked some VOB/MPEG-2 support, perhaps see this ARTICLE, and especially the link from Dag in Reply # 9. Ripping the MPEG-2 and adjusting for the Field Dominence before Import, might be the only way to get good footage.

Good luck, and hope that you can get a good output.

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files

But whatever you do, only use ONE of the methods we describe. If you use more than one, you end up reversing the reversed field dominance, which just screws things up again.

So decide which you're way you're going to deal with the DVD/AVI transition issue and then don't use any others in combination with it.

• 12. Re: PE 3.0 -- Video playback jitters -- content pulled from VOB files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Good point. Just looking down the list of possible "tools" can be daunting, then picking the best one is another story. Finally, adjusting the output from the ripping program requires some trial and error. One should NEVER run a file through multiple utilities, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thank you for making that point.

Hunt