11 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 11:33 PM by Pedro_es

Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?

nzthudb

Using a Z68 motherboard can I plug my monitor into my discrete graphics card and utilise the benefits of MPE and CUDA, then exit PPro and make full use of Quicksync to transcode?

Has anyone tested / benchmarked a Z68 configuration to see what effect leaving the integrated graphics enabled has on the performance of PPro?

• 1. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
          RjL190365 Level 4

Technically, it's possible. Practically, however, performance is seriously compromised: All of the current chipsets with integrated graphics capabilities such as the H67 and Z68 chipsets run their PCIe x16 slots in x1 mode by default (the integrated Intel graphics always eats up 16 PCIe lanes when enabled) when the integrated graphics remains enabled with a discrete graphics card installed. This is due to the lack of sufficient PCIe lanes on the LGA 1155 CPUs. As a resut, when QuickSync is enabled, MPE GPU performance suffers severely - to the point that performance is actually significantly faster when CS5.x is permanently locked into software-only mode than with MPE GPU mode enabled.

In other words, if you want QuickSync at all (with the current CPUs), you might as well permanently disable the GPU accelerated mode in MPE and force software-only MPE full-time. QuickSync and full MPE performance (at least without having to switch manually from one to the other upon reboot) really needs a CPU with 32 or more PCIe lanes to function properly (the current LGA 1155 CPUs have only 20 PCIe lanes).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 2. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
            Pedro_es

Nowadays, using Quick Sync with the CUDA optimized Premiere MPE gives bad performance, however using it with Quick Sync software optimized can have some benefits...

In theory you can change from one GPU to another easily depending of you needs. Sandy Bridge GPU has Quick Sync and relative low power consumption, Nvidia discrete cards have cuda and a lot of computing power...

As you have said it is not possible to use both at the same time, but having the posiibility to change from one to another still has some benefits.

The only possible problem I see is if Virtu decrease the system stability or the discrete GPU performance (while Sandy Bridge GPU is disabled). As i have seen in some benchmarks (not with Premiere Pro) it seem the the performance of the discrete GPU is not affected. Somebody has any idea about it?

• 3. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
              J.Elliott8652 Level 1

Imagine you had your monitor plugged into your GPU. Would anything strange happen, as long as you shut down PPro and transcoded later?

I don't quite follow the objections raised here. No one is trying to work in PPro while transcoding in the background. I do understand the threat of having the GPU socket knocked down to x1 speed, but is this an everpresent problem, or only one that will occur if one tried to transcode with Quick Sync while using the GPU simultaneously?

No one would ever have such a workflow even if the bus weren't flooded, because of the load on the CPU and drives.

Maybe I'm dense, but there seems something amiss here. In the BIOS, one would have the GPU set as the primary video adapter, of course.

Virtu is supposed to virtualize Quick Sync and pass the output through the GPU. The IGP video channel never comes into play, if my reading of the hardware reviews is correct. Therefore, one does not have an issue with the IGP video pathway being enabled while using Virtu, hence no gobbling up of 16 PCI-e lanes.

Something is either wrong here or terribly confusing. I think it comes to this - if your CUDA GPU is installed and set to the primary adapter in the BIOS, how could the IGP "kick in" and soak up all the PCI-e lanes?

We would all have our monitors plugged into our GPU's and the BIOS set accordingly. Virtu is supposed to step in at some point and re-route the CPU-generated Quick Sync feature to the GPU. When would the bare-bones IGP video output, needing 16 lanes of PCI-e, ever come into play?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                nzthudb Level 1

J.Elliott8652 wrote:

Imagine you had your monitor plugged into your GPU. Would anything strange happen, as long as you shut down PPro and transcoded later?

I don't quite follow the objections raised here. No one is trying to work in PPro while transcoding in the background. I do understand the threat of having the GPU socket knocked down to x1 speed, but is this an everpresent problem, or only one that will occur if one tried to transcode with Quick Sync while using the GPU simultaneously?

No one would ever have such a workflow even if the bus weren't flooded, because of the load on the CPU and drives.

Maybe I'm dense, but there seems something amiss here. In the BIOS, one would have the GPU set as the primary video adapter, of course.

Virtu is supposed to virtualize Quick Sync and pass the output through the GPU. The IGP video channel never comes into play, if my reading of the hardware reviews is correct. Therefore, one does not have an issue with the IGP video pathway being enabled while using Virtu, hence no gobbling up of 16 PCI-e lanes.

Something is either wrong here or terribly confusing. I think it comes to this - if your CUDA GPU is installed and set to the primary adapter in the BIOS, how could the IGP "kick in" and soak up all the PCI-e lanes?

We would all have our monitors plugged into our GPU's and the BIOS set accordingly. Virtu is supposed to step in at some point and re-route the CPU-generated Quick Sync feature to the GPU. When would the bare-bones IGP video output, needing 16 lanes of PCI-e, ever come into play?

This sums up my confusion as well.  Has anyone got a z68 system and can tell us how it performs when configured as described?

• 5. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I will be testing this in the next couple of days. I will let you know the results.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                    paramita7 Level 1

I'm also exploring this question for my laptop (Lenovo W520) that has both quicksync and a nvidia videocard with optimus and should be able to switch based on software (AME versus Premiere). Still need to know how this plugin (SDK) is supposed to be enabled.

• 8. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

The results on a Lenovo laptop you posted in another thread that you started are promising. Though by no means the fastest laptop, your laptop's results clearly showed that the software-only performance with the integrated Intel on-CPU graphics is significantly faster with QuickSync enabled than with it disabled while the H.264 encoding performance with just the integrated Intel graphics and QuickSync enabled is two times faster than with the laptop's onboard Nvidia GPU enabled.

On the other hand, I am still awaiting the results from Eric on a properly-tuned Z68 desktop with both the integrated Intel graphics and an Nvidia CUDA GPU.

• 9. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                        Pedro_es Level 1

Eric, have you tested the Z68? have you found any reason to not choosing it?

Thanks in advance.

• 10. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Sorry it is taking so long to get that done. I am trying to get all of this testing done while keeping up with my normal work. I should be building it today and hopefully should be ready for testing  tomorrow if today is not crazy on the phones.

Revised - Engineering sample board is DOA. So this is on hold till we order one.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Z68 PPro and Quicksync coexistance - Is this possible?
                            Pedro_es Level 1

Thanks! Anyway I think I'll order mine this week, because in all the benchmarks I have found (3d games and soft, encoding, OC...) it seems to be equal or a bit better than the P67 and also it is Quick Sync capable.