3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 9:35 AM by Jim_Simon

Transcoding, and GPU Acceleration issue/questions.

evervoidd

Hello -

I'm new to these forums, this being my first post. I have a few questions revolving around Transcoding, and GPU Acceleration in Premiere Pro CS5. I'm new to videography. Basically just starting out - a noob if you will.

Transcoding:

I just recently bought the Cannon 60d and have done some small test shots. I've been noticing that my system is lagging behind whenever I start working with color correction or anything else that is intesive. That's the main reason I'm looking at transcoding. From scouring the forums and google I've noticed that everyone keeps bringing up Prores, however I don't have a mac. Is there any codec comparable, and inexpensive (or free preferably) that anyone can reccomend?

GPU Acceleration:

I was looking through adobe's list of supported video cards here: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html . I currently have the nvidia gtx 460 SE (Fermi) with 1 gb DDR5 ram. I realize that this isn't on the list but it is comparable to some of the cards listed - specifically GTX 285. Is my card simply not good enough?

My Computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC'd at 3.0Ghz

RAM: 12gb

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, like I mentioned I'm very new and just getting into this world of videography. Any expertise is welcome.

Thank you!