10 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 5:31 AM by jwilii

My nle/daw pc, please advise.....

jwilii

This build is mainly for Video Editing (AVCHD/Mini DV, Premiere Pro CS5, After Effects/Vegas Video), and Digital Audio Workstation (Protools/Cubase/ NI Komplete, Soundforge).

Thinking of triple booting Video Editing, DAW, and Linux.

I want to get a raid card, on a strict budget at this point, and must use what I have already purchased. I have about 400.00 dollars and need to grab a raid controller. My main drives are sata III, but I may have to purchase a sata II controller as the new 6GB/s cards are (for me at the moment) cost prohibitive.

Would it be ok to consider purchasing a used Areca 12 port 2GB Sata II raid controller(1231ML(room to expand)), over a newer 6GB/s 256MB 4 port raid controller card?

Also, If I choose to run a 2 disks for OSs (no raid, 1 Hitachi 1TB, 1 Hitachi 500GB), and a Raid 5 (4 Disk(4X1TB)), should I think about an external enclosure for the four disks?

CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1100T

CPU-FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-890FX UD5 Rev 2.1

RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333 16GB (4Gx4)

GPU: EVGA GTX560TI 1GB DDR5

AUD: M-Audio Delta 1010LT

PSU: Diablotek PHD750 PhD Series 750W

HDD: WD CAVIAR BLACK 1TB WD1002FAEX (3)

HDD: WD CAVIAR 500GB WD500AALX (2)

OPT: ASUS DRW-24B1ST

CASE: Cooler Master HAF RC-912-KKN1

FANS Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 (2), Cooler Master 120MM (2)

FAN Cntrlr Sunbeam PL-RS-6 Rheosmart

MON: 24" Soyo MT-NI-DYLM24E6

MON: 22" HP w2207

EXT HDD Fantom Drive 2TB eSATA (Backups)

Also have:

Hitachi 1TB HDS721010CLA332 7200rpm SATA II 32MB Cache (1)

Hitachi 500GB HDS721050CLA362 7 SATA 7200R200rpm 16MB Cache (1)

Reading a number of the posts here I am leaning toward this Disk setup (thanks to "Harm M." and others):

C: - OS, Programs, Pagefile

D: - Media, Projects, Media Cache, Previews, Exports (Raid 5(4X1TB)),

Am I headed in the right direction so far? Please Advise.

• 1. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
          RjL190365 Level 4

Before getting anything at all, I strongly recommend replacing that power supply unit. You got yourself one that cannot deliver anywhere near its advertised wattage without blowing itself up. In fact, that PSU is only a true 300W unit masquerading as a 750W unit. You definitely got ripped off on that Diablotek PSU, especially since it is more expensive to buy than several 400W to 500W units that actually deliver their claimed wattage (or very close to it).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
            Harm Millaard Level 7

And change the AMD for an Intel i7. The fastest overclocked Phenom X6 is still two times slower than a fast Intel system. Look here: PPBM5 Benchmark

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
              RjL190365 Level 4

And in addition to what Harm stated, don't cheap out by settling for an i5-2500(K) instead of an i7: The fastest overclocked i5-2500K is about 80 percent slower than a fast system - and barely faster than a stock-speed i7-2600K.

• 4. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you want both NLE and DAW I would highly recommend looking at a system builder that know what they are doing like ADK.

• 5. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

there is absolutely NO REASON for dual booting the Audio/Video. this is completely pointless

Linux? for what are you a masochist?

1 OS for both audio and video. no need to complicate your life or workflow.

also what makes you think you need more than a 8 drive raid card ? (only point to the raid card now is for raid5)

you would be better off with 2 x raid 0 performance wise than a 4 disk raid 5. as its better to read and write from 2 different drives that do both from 1

unless you are using an 8 drive raid

you also need a seperate drive for your sample libraries (NI) as many libraries do not like residing on a raid under win7.

Scott

ADK

• 6. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                    jwilii Level 1

Please forgive me for the lack of clarity in my initial post.

I am in the process of building this PC. hence, have already purchased all but a raid controller. I need to get started on some video that has, and is falling victim to the old, 'shoot, remove, shoot some more' routine. Unedited video is really piling up.

While I really appreciate having the 'best, of the best' --and each one of your comments is well received--, I will have to make do with what I have. I posted because you all seem to be extremely proficient respectively and felt/feel you could assist folks at whatever level  of PC configuration they are at.

I will accept that this PC  will not be as fast (AMD vs. Intel) as what most have acclimated to (in these forums), but enough to serve its purposes until I can go "Top Shelf" (a term of my late father). Most of what I have read has been quite substantive, both to your points, and to the credit of each of you.

RjL190365, after re-reviewing the NewEgg reviews on my PS, I concurr, and feel that I should not play 'russian-roulette' respective to my PS. I missed that one bigTIME!

Harm, the "PPBM5 Benchmark" was extremely informative!  I respect highly respect your counsel, however, if present monetary concerns in my home were favorable, I would scratch the present build and engage your suggestion to jump the i7 wagon. Please understand.

Bill, Thank you for the ADK site! All great stuff. Will use as standard I am certain....in the future.

Scott, I am neither a degenerate, nor do I feel the need to jump off of tall buildings without a parachute! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the chuckle! I appreciate you giving me an option in the end though. I will use a separate drive for the sample libraries, and such.

Thank you to all!

I will have to keep most of what I have built, with the exception of the PS. Will pick up a highly rated 750W Antec, Corsair, or Thermaltake PS.

Am I to take from the advice, that I should grab an 8 port SATA II (or III) Raid card (Areca perhaps), for the suggested 2 raid 0 sets (2Disks apiece)?

Ex: OS, Raid 0, Raid 0, eSATA external Backup

or,

OS, Raid 0, Raid 5, eSATA external Backup

Other than having to stick with the Phenom X6 1100T (possible OC), is there anything else I could do to make this all just work, as best as possible? Thank you all again.

• 7. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

In your case, with a tight budget, I would start without a dedicated raid controller and use the on-board capabilities. Especially if you use two raid0 arrays, the difference between software raid and hardware raid is very small. Raid controllers are only worth their money when you talk aboud large parity raids. In the future you can always add a raid controller if you so wish.

• 8. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                        jwilii Level 1

Thank you Harm!

Would things be a bit faster with 2TB drives on the raid 0, as opposed to the 1TB drives?

• 9. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                          RjL190365 Level 4

It depends on the individual drive(s) themselves. For example, the 1TB Samsung F3 HD103SJ is faster on average than most of the 2TB hard drives. On the other hand, the 2TB WD Black is slightly faster than its 1TB version.

• 10. Re: My nle/daw pc, please advise.....
                            jwilii Level 1

I thank each one of you for your expressed expertise, and efforts expended respective to my "NLE/DAW Build". I am convinced that your responses will assist others --namely reader/non-posters-- of this fantastic forum, who are at present, or will experience similar predicament.