2 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 10:29 AM by Todd_Kopriva

How to extend an arm in CS5?

intellectualproductions

I am making a music video for a course and one of the shots is supposed to have a guys arm stretching across the room (Mr Fantastic Style), but I am not sure how to go about it. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to extend an arm in CS5?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Depends on how he stretches, I guess?! Anything from the Puppet tool to other distortion effects to re-creating it in a 3D program. Without seeing any reference, this is slightly pointless, anyways. Too many ways too skin a cat. Provide some reference screenshot and we may be able to provide better guidance.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to extend an arm in CS5?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One of the important steps will be separating the subject (the person) from the background, so that you can distort just the person. This means that you'll need to shoot him against a green screen or do some rotoscoping---preferably the former. (See this page for basic compositing information.)

Once you've got the subject isolated, you can use one of the Distort effects, such as the Puppet effect, to stretch the arm.

As Mylenium says, it's hard to know what to suggest beyond that without some more details about what you are going for. For example, the image will degreade quite badly of you're stretching a small number of pixels in the original arm across a very large distance. If you're stretching very much, a simple application of a Distort effect won't be enough.