9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 12:21 PM by L2AU3

AE menu items defect

L2AU3

My AE Help menu including Scripting Help, Expressions Reference, Animation Presets, Keyboard Shortcuts have no functionality. It installed this way on Vista/PC from Adobe disk.  (The Help menus in the rest of the suite (PS, AI, FL, PP) are okay if I remember correctly. The help menu problem is in After Effects CS4.) I am working in AE more and I would like the help features.Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

• 1. Re: AE menu items defect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Probably it got never installed correctly, you have a lnagugae conflict or moved the files. Check whether this folder exists and if you have ful laccess to it: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\AfterEffects\9.0, assuming you want the English help files. If you run AE in anotehr language, naturally it will look for a different language folder such as de_DE for German or fr_FR for French. In any case, you can look up the help on the web any time or manually open the files in a browser...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE menu items defect
            L2AU3 Level 1

Per your instructions I found that AE is not in the en_US folder. I am interested in correcting this because the menu will save much time over the online option. I have been struggling using "help" without the help menu shortcuts. Where can I locate the needed file and how do I install it to AE?

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:28:45 -0600

To: corpora_striata@hotmail.com

Subject: AE menu items defect

Probably it got never installed correctly, you have a lnagugae conflict or moved the files. Check whether this folder exists and if you have ful laccess to it: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\AfterEffects\9.0, assuming you want the English help files. If you run AE in anotehr language, naturally it will look for a different language folder such as de_DE for German or fr_FR for French. In any case, you can look up the help on the web any time or manually open the files in a browser...

Mylenium

>

• 3. Re: AE menu items defect
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If they ended up in anotehr language folder, you can simply copy them over to the correct one. Maybe you are simply a victim of a problem in the Internaional English installer, where files end up in the en_GB sub-folder...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE menu items defect
                L2AU3 Level 1

What is the name of the files I am looking for that has the English Help? I do not have en_GB subfolder so it isn't there and I didn't see anything that would represent the help file in any of the other subfolders. I will look through the disk to find the files but I need to be sure of the name.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:57:30 -0600

If they ended up in anotehr language folder, you can simply copy them over to the correct one. Maybe you are simply a victim of a problem in the Internaional English installer, where files end up in the en_GB sub-folder...

Mylenium

>

• 5. Re: AE menu items defect
                  L2AU3 Level 1

Mylenium,

I'm still on this problem. I snipped my windows so you can see the problem via the attachments to this email. Can you can advise me how to move the After Effects en_US Language file to the Adobe Help? I'm looking at the contents on the disc and I don't know how to address it.

Laurrie

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:28:45 -0600

Mylenium

>

• 6. Re: AE menu items defect
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

By the way, you don't need to use the Help menu to get to the Help document. It's available on the Web in both HTML format and PDF.

• 7. Re: AE menu items defect
                      L2AU3 Level 1

I would like the Help menu as a shortcut alternative. I have CS4 so the CS5 link implies more in its answers that what my software is capable of.  I would like to get this Help Menu issue resolved. I often have many windows open and I have a favorites bar full of links so it is very cumbersome to go outside of AE for the Help Menu. I want the Help Menu shortcuts and the F1 key. That is what I paid for! Any suggestions on how pull the file off the disk and manually install it?  I have reinstalled AE and it didn't resolve the problem.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:10:47 -0600

By the way, you don't need to use the Help menu to get to the Help document. It's http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for-creative-suite-5-pdf -and-html.html.

>

• 8. Re: AE menu items defect
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The people who can help you with failures with the Help software are not here on the After Effects forum. They're on this forum for the Help software itself:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp?view=discussions

• 9. Re: AE menu items defect
                          L2AU3 Level 1

The link that you gave me is for the online Community Help application protocol. I see nothing there that would refer to After Effects software. My Help Menu issue concerns missing or misplaced files in the After Effects CS4 Help Menu.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:01:43 -0600

The people who can help you with failures with the Help software are not here on the After Effects forum. They're on this forum for the Help software itself:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp?view=discussions

>