11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 2:34 PM by joejlm1

Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing

Travelplan24

Dear all,

can anybody help me on my printing problem with Adobe Reader 10.0 ?

While printing a pdf I cannot do anything else, it is not possible to touch the mouse

because when I do this, the font is changing while printing to something like grecian.

Can somebody help me on this ?

Reader 9 did not cause this problem.

Thanx and best Regards, Travelplan24

• 1. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
          dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Good day,

Could you answer a few questions?  I'd like to see if I can help!

• With the file open, could you check open the Document Properties (CTRL + D [Win] or Command + D [Mac]) and share the PDF Producer and PDF Version of the file?
          • What is the make and model of your printer?
          • Is your printer connected locally to your computer or networked?
          • Have you received other documents that use this font?  Did they print correctly?

Regards,

David

Acrobat Community Manager

Adobe Systems

• 2. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
            Travelplan24 Level 1

Hello.

- The properties are: Oracle Reports, Oracle pdf driver, pdf version 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x)

- The printer is CANON pixma ip4500. The printer is connected in a network of just 2 PC's.

The printer has his own ip-adress in the network.

- All docs are changing the font as soon as the document will be closed while printing for example.

The Problem is on both PC's in the network.

Best Regards and thank you.

Saskia

• 3. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
              dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Good day Saskia,

It's likely that the font that's being replaced is not installed on your computer.  The PDF files you're trying to print were not made using Adobe software, so I can't guarantee the integrity of the files.  I would suggest you try to install the font that's being replaced on your local computer.  If that's not possible, you could try asking whoever is creating the PDF files to try fully embedding the font on PDF creation.  Lastly, try using the 'Print as Image' option.  This will slow the printing down quite a bit, but may allow the document to print as you see it on screen.

Regards,

David

Adobe Systems

• 4. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                Travelplan24 Level 1

Hi Dave,

what do you mean with "the font that's being replaced" ?

The thing is, that the print is OK, as long as I do nothing on the PC while the print of a pdf is running.

Why do you think that is has maybe anything to do with a wrong font ?

Do you think about this in regards to the printing details I send yesterday ?

Best Regards

Saskia

• 5. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                  dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Saskia,

You stated in your original post that the "font is changing while printing to something like grecian" when printing.  That is what I meant by 'the font is being replaced.'

But now I'm confused.  If you open the file and print the file, and take no other action on the computer, the results from the printer are the same as what you're seeing on screen.  But if you send the job to the printer and switch to another application to multi-task or whatnot, the resulting print is bad?

Thanks,

David

Adobe Systems

• 6. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                    Travelplan24 Level 1

Exactly !

This is the right situation you write:

If you open the file and print the file, and take no other action on  the computer, the results from the printer are the same as what you're  seeing on screen.  But if you send the job to the printer and switch to  another application to multi-task or whatnot, the resulting print is  bad?

With "something like grecian" I meant this hyroglyphes the printer brings.

But the above is the real problem.

Regards

Saskia

• 7. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                      dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Saskia,

That is truly bizarre.

Are you experiencing this problem with every PDF you print or just the ones that are created via the Oracle PDF Driver?

You mentioned that the printer is connected to two computers.  Do both of them have this problem?

Do you have any other printers?  If so, could you try printing to one of them and share the results of this workflow.

Thanks,

David

Adobe Systems

• 8. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                        TampaTom

I'm having this same problem. Im using 10.0.1, with window XP and a HP laserjet 3500 printer.  If I print the document, while the doc is open, without doing anything else on the computer, it prints fine.

The problem is if I try to print the document without opening it, or I close the document, or try to do something else on my computer. It is "only" the text, Ive added, to an existing template that prints funny.  The text that was already on the template always prints fine. It prints in kind of a code. For instance, instead of "This software is licensed to [TOM" .... it prints "Ui j t  tpguxbsf j t mj df otfe up \UPN"

so my F prints as a G and my U as a V the T as a U and so on.

But if I keep the document open and do nothing else it prints just fine.

Please help, I print a lot of files while Im working and cant sit around waiting for pages of documents to print.

Thanks,

Tom

• 9. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                          CateManhattan

I have the same problem, but I had not yet noted that it occured if I did some other task before the printing completed. I believe that is when it happens, the problem is intermittant. I have lost a lot of ink and paper!!!

I am using Windows XP, my printer is HP 6500 wireless, but on a USB currently. My version of Reader is 10.0.1 (updated about a week or so ago??)

I reinstalled the HP printer driver twice, one day ago = latest reinstall. I talked to HP about this problem many times -- they say they have not heard of others with the same problem.

Yesterday, an entire pdf document converted to the Gibberish font. Yes, it looks a bit like Greek, but it is not a Greek font -- the character sets do not map.  E.g., the word 'Problem' was converted into 'Qspcrfm' with cmpressed/jumbled spacing.

I hope someone knows how to fix this. I cannot sit and wait for a pdf to print before I do other work.

Thanks for any suggestions, guidance!

• 10. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                            CateManhattan Level 1

I have the same problem, but I didn't realize it could be set off by my working on another task. It is also triggered when the pdf has scientific notation, or a very extreme change in font and font size. E.g., text in boxes, algorithms, etc. seem to trigger the problem.

I have reinstalled my print driver (several times, latest on Sunday), and reinstalled Adobe Reader (now 10.0.1) but the problem remains.

Printer:

HP Officejet 6500 (E709n Series) wireless, now on USB.

Document properties: Most recent font conversion - yesterday:

Producer: Distiller 4.0.2 for Mac

PDF version: 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x)

Fonts: Helvetica-Neue, Type 1, Encoding: ANSI and Roman

The font is not converting into Greek. E.g. "Problem-Solving Process" became "Qspcrfm . Tpnwjoh!Qspdftt"' with the kerning overlapping characters.

The font 'conversion' has happened many, many times on a wide variety of pdf files in the past 6 months. Never had the problem before. I had downloaded new Reader, and purchased the new printer -- I do not know which change created the problem.

I will cease doing anything when I print as a temporary workaround, but that is not a good solution.

I sure hope you can figure out what the bug is. Thanks in advance.

• 11. Re: Reader 10.0 Printing Problem - Font changing while printing
                              joejlm1

The problem is not a translation to Greek but the fact that each letter printed is one ASCII code higher than the letter which was intended to be printed ( at least in my case) .   So in other words A becomes B,  B becomes C, 1 become 2, 9 becomes a special character ( I don't know which one ).  I have to assume that there is some index which determines which font is used and that the index has been incremented also.  I have seen this happen in the middle of some documents on other computer/printers, but for me it always happens starting with a new page.

I have two local printers.  One, an HP LaserJet 2100, has this problem.  The 2nd, a Samsung SCX-4725 does not appear to have this problem.  Right now I couldn't tell you the difference in options as to how documents are spooled to the printers.  One thing I can say is that even when the HP messes up, graphics (such as bar codes do not get messed up).

This problem does seem to be new to later version(s) of Adobe.  MS Word/Excel still work fine.

Thnx