4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 7:58 AM by boof25

How do I search for em-dashes?

boof25

Hi

I'm using Reader X with Windows 7 and the editorial project I'm working on has many em-dashes in the text.  I would like to search for just the em-dashes, how do I go about doing that?  I'm guessing there is some sort of code I need to type into the search box, and if so, does anyone know what it is?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I search for em-dashes?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You may not be able to. When I enter an em dash in the search box by entering Alt+0151 (on the numeric keypad), it finds em dashes, en dashes, and hyphens.

• 2. Re: How do I search for em-dashes?
            boof25 Level 1

Interesting. Even if I get all the other variations of the dash, as long as it includes the em-dash, that would work for me.  However, what am I doing wrong in the search box...I can't duplicate what you suggested in your response.  Do I open up the search box, and then press the ALT key and then type in 0151 (I'm a very new Adobe Reader user). I tried that and can't get it to work.

Thanks for responding!

• 3. Re: How do I search for em-dashes?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try just entering a regular hyphen.

But to do what I suggested, keep the Alt key held down while typing "0151" on the numeric keypad (not the numbers on the top row of the keyboard). This is for WIndows, not the Mac.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I search for em-dashes?
                boof25 Level 1

Thanks!  I had to try a few things on my laptop here because the ALT key wouldn't allow me to do anything.   What I did was type in the hypen in the search box, then press ctrl and M (I have the numeric keypad imbedded into my alphabet keypad).  It searches on all variations of the hyphen, including the em-dash and that's good enough for my purposes!  Thanks for the tip!  You're very helpful.