5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 11:04 AM by Captain Slocum

Jing MPEG4 and Premiere Elements problem.

Captain Slocum Level 1

Has anyone any experience of using TechSmiths Jing with PE?

Jing produces MPEG4 files of screen capture that play fine on my computer (and everyone elses).

I want to import them into PE to enhance them (something which TechSmith are fine with, in fact they suggest importing them into movie editing programs, "like iMovie").

But when I do, although it looks OK, when I try to play them the video is running at twice the rate of the audio (which is cut off halfway before anyone suggests stretching the video).

I had this response from TechSmith:

"We use H.264 for video encoding, and AAC for audio encoding.

This sounds  like a problem with Premier Elements. The Jing capture is working properly, and  playback in other programs is fine.

I would suggest contacting Adobe for  additional assistance, as the MP4's we generate with Jing are meant for Adobe  Flash Player."

I have tried, literally, every single project setting, NSTC and PAL, that PE provides (and yes, at the speed PE creates new projects, it did take me hours), and they are all exactly the same.

Anyone any ideas?

• 1. Re: Jing MPEG4 and Premiere Elements problem.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This sounds  like a problem with Premier Elements. The Jing capture is working properly, and  playback in other programs is fine.

I sounds like more of a problem with the exact TechSmith CODEC used by Jing. Playback is very different, than editing. Also, some NLE programs can handle some CODEC's, better than others can. It could well be that PrE is having issues with TechSmith's implementation of H.264. Many companies will tweak the H.264, and some of that tweaking can cause issues for some NLE programs. I assume that you have TechSmith's H.264 installed on the system. For more info on CODEC's, in general, see this ARTICLE.

For the speed issue, can you change that in Interpret Footage? Also, what FPS rate is PrE telling you it's seeing? What FPS rate does Jing record at?

"We use H.264 for video encoding, and AAC for audio encoding."

There could also be an issue here. Several Adobe programs have issues with AAC Audio, though I did not see mention of any issues with your files' Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jing MPEG4 and Premiere Elements problem.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it's for another TechSmith program, Camtasia, Jeff Bellune has many good comments and a tutorial, that might be of help. Those can be found in this ARTICLE, though I do not know how the tips and instructions might work in Jing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Jing MPEG4 and Premiere Elements problem.
              Captain Slocum Level 1

To answer one of your questions Bill, G-Spot is telling me that the MPEG4 is H264/MPEG-4 AVC, 1280x996, runs at 7.353 frames per second and 196kbs and the audio is 22050 Hz at 114Kbs AAC LC.

I have tried altering the framerate in Interpret Footage (which tells me that the movie is 10fps by the way) but I still only get half the audio. it is just slowed down or speeded up. And I cannot see a way to alter the audio settings for a project. Is there a way? It looks like it is the audio interpretation that is the problem, but what do I know!

• 4. Re: Jing MPEG4 and Premiere Elements problem.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, with that Frame-Rate and the Audio stream's specs., I would convert to a more standard file, outside of PrE. That Frame Rate will very likely never give good, smooth and corret looking playback, conversion or not.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Jing MPEG4 and Premiere Elements problem.
                  Captain Slocum Level 1

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a go and let you know the results. Doesn't matter about the frame rate as it is just screen capture - mouse pointers, windows opening etc.