3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 9:22 PM by Keith_Clark

trying to get a good analogue capture

Keith_Clark Level 2

i dont have the luxury of having a DV with pass-through, so to capture from 8mm, VHS, and VHS-C, i use RCA analogue capture hardware. i used to use this, but had problems with the thing maintaining a good capture for extended periods of time (say, a full 4 hour 8mm tape. can't remember what the issue was, but after like an hour or so, it messed up, and like an idiot i unloaded it, thinking i had no more use for it) then i got this, but i have noticed that the quality is ALOT worse for some dumb reason. the picture is good, its actually better... but anytime there was movement of the camera man (say, heavy footsteps, or things like that) the footage jars, and the picture goes out of frame (say, about 4 frames per second during high stress times) the usb one did not do this, any reason why it does this? if i capture live off a tape-cam without a tape in it, (just capture while the camera is on) it doesnt do it. but say i put a tape in a camera, hit record, and run really fast, then capture that afterward off the tape, its bouncing and jarring all over the place. anyone know why this capture card is bahiving this way and any way to possibly resolve this? i wish i could use PrePr or On Location to capture, but it only allows for FireWire capture it looks like :-/ but after buying both of these things, i probably could have just spent the money on an old used passthrough dv cam, but whatever. that will be for another time i suppose.

• 1. Re: trying to get a good analogue capture
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE talks about some ways to do A-D Capture.

Fairly recently, someone mentioned that they had picked up a busted miniDV tape camera on eBay for ~US$40. The tape transport was busted, but the pass-through worked fine. Maybe an idea there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: trying to get a good analogue capture
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Old forum discussion, message now gone, but here's the summary

Matt with Grass Valley Canopus in their tech support department stated that the model 110 will suffice for most hobbyist. If a person has a lot of tapes that were played often the tape stretches and the magnetic coding diminishes. If your goal is to encode tapes in good shape buy the 110, if you will be encoding old tapes of poor quality buy the model 300
            Both the 110 and 300 are two way devices so you may output back to tape... if you don't need that, look at the model 55
            http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc55 One Way Only to Computer
            http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110 for good tapes, or
            http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300 better with OLD tapes
            Or
            ADS Pyro http://www.adstechnologies.com
            • 3. Re: trying to get a good analogue capture
              Keith_Clark Level 2

thanks for the info.... just not sure why if i record live to capture with no tape and for testing, just shake the cam around like its a crazy cat... it looks fine... but if i do the same thing on tape and capture off the tape, its just going crazy. tape is good. and the image looks fine on TV. but for some reason, it doesnt wanna be digitized. skips frames, frames off screen, lines all over, until the camera is stationary in hand again. somewhat irritating. i tried dubbing to VHS and then over the capture card... the bahaviour still exists on the dub. i wouldve guess the tape recorder heads are bad or something, but it is the same on several cams. shopping on ebay for a cheap DV Passthrough. found a few in the 30-50 range. may suffice. if teh camera is reviewed as having "bad lowlight" and "bad noise" that wont affect passthrough will it? thats just with the viewfinder, right?