4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 2:11 PM by JEShort01

Hard Drive Deals Online -- Are these worth considering?

Adamousman Level 1

Hi All,

I'm running with a Sabertooth X58, GTX 470, OS HD is a 300 GB Raptor, and I have 2 X 1TB Samsung F3's in a RAID 0.

Newegg is running a promo on recertified hard drives right now and the prices are really good.  I'm considering getting 2 X 74gb Raptor Drives as they are only $40 a piece and running them in a separate RAID 0.

I know that would only give me a ~150gb RAID, but it seems like that would be useful for assigning as a render or pagefile drive etc.

They also have an 80gb Western Digital 7200 rpm drive for $15.  I'm looking to stay on the cheap, and this seems like a both viable solution and a cost effective one...

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Hard Drive Deals Online -- Are these worth considering?
          JEShort01 Level 4

If you want to go Newegg recertified, I think the Hitachi 7k1000 750GB drives would be must faster and more reliable for your RAID 0. Besides, they are much larger and less expensive as well!

I have some 74GB raptors with the same model number as the one you are proposing; they are slow and I don't think that they play too nicely for on-board RAID 0 setups -- that's been my experience anyway.

Jim

• 2. Re: Hard Drive Deals Online -- Are these worth considering?
            Adamousman Level 1

Thank you for your input.

Can anyone else speak to the difference between these two?

Are Raptors in a RAID 0 that are this small in size going to be effective?  Are Raptors in general gonna make a huge difference?

• 3. Re: Hard Drive Deals Online -- Are these worth considering?
              RjL190365 Level 4

Adam,

Neither of those two smaller-capacity hard drives are worth the trouble these days. Both of them are of much older designs that are substantially slower than current-generation 1TB hard drives. While most 1TB hard drives average in the vicinity of 100 to 110 MB/s (in sequential transfers), the 74GB original Raptor could average only 60 MB/s. And the 80GB Caviar could barely reach 50 MB/s average.

Maximum, the typical 1TB 7200RPM hard drive reaches 130 to 140 MB/s while the 74GB Raptors just touch 70 MB/s and the 80GB drive barely exceeds 60 MB/s. You get what you pay for, in this case although the recertified Raptors are way too expensive for a small-capacity drive that's actually only about half as fast in sequential reads and writes as a modern 500GB hard drive that costs just a few dollars more. Even two 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 are no faster than a single 500GB or larger hard drive overall. And two 80GB Caviars that old are actually slower in RAID 0 than most if not all of the single (non-RAID) current-generation large-capacity hard drives.

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Deals Online -- Are these worth considering?
                JEShort01 Level 4

Adam,

I located some old benchmarking tests in your behalf. Sustained reads on my 74GB raptors peak just over 70MB/s on my Raptor 74GB drives. My 1TB 7k1000 Hitachi's do just over 130MB/s, or almost twice as fast. The 750GB size that Newegg has right now as refurbs may be a bit slower, but they should certainly be pretty fast - and insanely fast considering they cost less than $40/each!

Jim