5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 3:45 PM by mckayk_777-aD6Dox

Batch fix missing fonts

komal1016 Level 1

We have 2000 InDesign documents that are all showing missing fonts. The fonts are there, but different people opened the documents so they are all linked to different font files. I need to PDF all of them, and have a script to do that but the fonts don't appear correctly because it doesn't think I have them.

Is there a script I can use to find the missing fonts and replace them with the correct fonts? I don't need a report of the missing fonts...I know which ones are missing, I just need to fix them in all the documents.

• 1. Re: Batch fix missing fonts
          John Hawkinson Level 5
          We have 2000 InDesign documents that are all showing missing fonts. The fonts are there, but different people opened the documents so they are all linked to different font files. I need to PDF all of them, and have a script to do that but the fonts don't appear correctly because it doesn't think I have them.

This sounds like a misdiagnosis. Perhaps you have installed a slightly different font from the one in the document? That is quite common.

Try Type > Find Font and select the fonts, choose More Info and check the font version and compare it to the version installed on your OS.

• 2. Re: Batch fix missing fonts
            komal1016 Level 1

Nope...not a misdiagnosis. All the fonts are the same across the department...we all installed them from the same TTF files. We checked all the fonts in the document...even tweaked the font properties to match the name/settings of the font in the document, and it still won't find them all. The names are exactly the same so no idea what's going on here.

• 3. Re: Batch fix missing fonts
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Are the version numbers the same as well? What's an example?

• 4. Re: Batch fix missing fonts
                komal1016 Level 1

No the version numbers are different. The one I have is has "version ..." in the file, but the one in the document has something long and cryptic in it.

• 5. Re: Batch fix missing fonts
                  mckayk_777-aD6Dox

This is not what you asked for but it might be a work around.

FontExplorer X Pro has an auto activation, and for under $100 it makes life really easy.

All you would have to do is get a copy of each font from each machine and place them into FontExplorer X and tell it to auto activate each font needed on opening each file. You could even then if you where working in CS5 package the files up so next time you open them indesign will read the fonts automatically for you.