18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 5:12 AM by nhuebner

Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes

Cat4Dog3

At least once a week DreamWeaver 5.5 crashes on me, causing me to lose work.

I don't see any way to report this serious bug, so I am posting it here with the hope that someone from Adobe will see it.

Fault bucket 2418849133, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: None

Cab Id: 1214690668

Problem signature:

P1: Dreamweaver.exe

P2: 11.5.0.5315

P3: 4d89570e

P4: Dreamweaver.exe

P5: 11.5.0.5315

P6: 4d89570e

P7: c0000005

P8: 0023bf98

P9:

P10:

Faulting application Dreamweaver.exe, version 11.5.0.5315, time stamp 0x4d89570e, faulting module Dreamweaver.exe, version 11.5.0.5315, time stamp 0x4d89570e, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0023bf98, process id 0x2694, application start time 0x01cc15ac718f6565.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which operating system?

Best to report crashes via the official Adobe Form

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
            David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

John Waller wrote:

Which operating system?

Since the crash report says Dreamweaver.exe, it must be Windows. But you're right, the best approach is to report it through the official bug report form.

FWIW, I've been running Dreamweaver CS5.5 for many months (while writing a book about it). In my experience, it's very stable. So, crashing once a week is unusual (and unacceptable).

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since the crash report says Dreamweaver.exe, it must be Windows.

Yes.

I guess I was asking if Win XP, Vista, 7 etc.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                ALsp Level 4

DW CS5.5 is prone to crash. It is also prone to lock up. It is also

prone to have its CSS panel go crazy and force a restart to fix. It is,

by no means, a stable piece of work - yet. I'm sure if Adobe listens to

its customers an update will be made shortly.

A note to the obviously flawed beta testers of the program-

It would be nice to coordinate the popup CSS editor with the panel. It

would also be nice to support display inline-block in Design View, along

with complex CSS that has failed for the past 5 versions.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                  Ben M Adobe Community Professional

ALsp wrote:

It would be nice to coordinate the popup CSS editor with the panel. It

would also be nice to support display inline-block in Design View, along

with complex CSS that has failed for the past 5 versions.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

Where have you been noticing crashes Al?  I haven't come across anything in my limited use of 5.5 Mac.  To be honest I noticed more issues in CS5 then I do in 5.5.  Or maybe after I sent in a ton of bug reports Adobe focused on the Mac side a little more.

Also as a side note to this topic I did post on your forums a question related to this topic but not directly related to DW and I didn't want to drag this off-topic.

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes

ALsp wrote:

I'm sure it will, but that depends on the submission to Adobe of reports with details of reproducible steps of the conditions that cause the program to crash or lock up.

As I have always understood it, the role of a beta tester is to use the product in as close to production circumstances as possible and to report back on problems, as well as to make suggestions for improvements. Whether to act on those reports and suggestions remains, however, solely the decision of the product manufacturer.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                      Cat4Dog3 Level 1

8 GB Ram

500 GB Free disk space

No other problems with any other programs.

I tend to leave it open 24/7, I am going to see if shutting it down at night makes a difference.

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                        Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Cat4Dog3 wrote:

8 GB Ram

500 GB Free disk space

No other problems with any other programs.

I tend to leave it open 24/7, I am going to see if shutting it down at night makes a difference.

What other details?  Are you running any extensions? If so, have you tried disabling them?  Does it happen with a particular file or during a particular operation (like an FTP transfer)?  Have you tried re-creating the preferences ( http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83912.html ) ?

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                          Cat4Dog3 Level 1

No extensions are enabled.

Saving a file I have recently editied is when it usually happens, which causes the changes to be lost.

No I have not tried removing my preferences and to be honest shouldn't have to. If corrupt settings can be a problem Adobe should have a way to remove/reset them without having to resort to renaming folders and using regedit.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes

Cat4Dog3 wrote:

I think that's where your problem lies. As I said earlier, I have found Dreamweaver CS5.5 to be very stable. However, on the few occasions that it became unresponsive, the program had been running for a very long time. Closing it down and restarting it solved the problem.

With regard to deleting preferences, there is no need to touch regedit. When problems arise with Dreamweaver, it's normally due to a corrupt cache file, and deleting that file alone is sufficient to solve the problem. Details on where to find the cache file are in this FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2260933. Sometimes, deleting that file on its own doesn't work, and in such cases, it's recommended to delete your personal configuration folder to reset Dreamweaver back to its default settings. However, that's normally only necessary if you have been installing extensions or editiing the configuration files directly. Since you haven't installed any extensions, it shouldn't be necessary.

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                              Cat4Dog3 Level 1

I deleted the cache file and will keep my fingers crossed.

I noticed that there is a CrashLogs folder with two  binary files in it.

I have been using 5.5 for about 2 weeks now and have two files, exactly 1 week apart within 10 minutes of each other, located in there.

If anyone from Adobe would like to look at them I'll be happy to forward them.

I am going to consider this closed for now.

Thanks for the assistance.

::Cat4Dog3

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                Stephen Cox Level 1

Add me to this list. Running CS5.5 on Mac (10.6.7 64bit).

I knew I should've waited to upgrade. A crash now and then is ok.. but now it's happening every few hours. And from threads in other forumes I'm not alone. Adobe, you need to patch this SOON.

Anyway I'm going back to 5.

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                  AllDayDev Adobe Employee

Hi all,

Sorry to hear of the problem some of you are facing.

The original poster mentioned that clearing the Dreamweaver cache file seemed to help.

See this FAQ (as mentioned above by David) for instructions to re-create the cache file: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2260933

If that doesn't help, John's suggestion is definitely a good step. Submissions to the bug report form go right to our engineering team for review.

If you have not submitted the details of how/when the crash occurs, and any other applicable details, please use that form to do so.

If you have, thank you!

If you are hoping to get some help in solving it more immediately, please post here the same details you sent via the form (i.e. the specific steps taken to reproduce the issue) and any files or other information necessary to help us reproduce the issue.

If we can reproduce the issue, as David said, it makes it much easier to find the cause and get it fixed. If we can't reproduce, then likely it would just be a matter of identifying what on your computer or server is causing the issue. Either way, we will be able to work together to resolve the issue.

Kind regards,

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                    Srinivasa H.K

hi i am srinivas.

I have installed the DW CS 5.5 today. after installed when i start the DW. my system got restarted everytime.

I have got the following bluescreen erro when i launch the DW.

C000021A { Fatal error } 0xc0000005 (0x75e9ad15 0x00c7f160)

i am not able to use the DW.

My system information:

Win xp sp2

AMD Phenom x4 945, 2GB DDR3 Ram

can anybody please help me to solve the problem.

Regards

srinivas

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                      ukdesign1

Work together to resolve the issue?

You don't do that though do you! It's bull.

I have CS5, it's crashed on me 8 time int he last hour, simply editing css in live view. I use Dreamweaver daily, I have deadlines and having to work bank holiday weekend to catch up with your stupid buggy software.

1. I have filed so many bug reports with full descriptions I'm sick of it, you ignore all of them

2. I contacted support and you didn't care a dam, "this is a code problem" and closed the case. You mean it's a problem you can't be bothered to sort.

3. I cleared cache, etc etc etc all the usual stuff and it STILL crashes.

All I'm doing is editing wordpress themes in live view, just like Dreamweaver is supposed to do! This problem has been going on now for well over a year and it's about time you stopped ignoring it and addrssed it. All you are interested in is developing an even buggier cs6 which you can sell for another £1000.

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                        ThomasNorden

I am starting to get ticked off with 5.5 as well (on a mac). I have one site created in DW4 that I simply can't open and edit in 5.5. And now, I have a brand new php document, I try to insert a less than 2KB png and DW5.5 crashes constantly... If I am going to continue to use DW Adobe had better come up with a heavy discount for upgrading.

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                          nhuebner

Dreamweaver CS5, Windows Vista.

Dreamweaver Crashes: 2 to 4 times per day.

Dreamweaver Persistent Crashes:   When closing program.

All of the forum posts and articles I've  read say it has to do with your graphics card.    So for everyone here who has any kind of dreamweaver crash, be sure to go buy a new computer k.     Graphics card has nothing to do with my problem.   My video cards 100% up to date, monitor drivers up to date.  It's just plain and simple, no one @ adobe is working on these problems.

Best to just deal with it unless you find a way to not need Adobe products anymore.

Good luck

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver CS5.5 crashes
                                            nhuebner Level 1

ADOBE:

Our company "will not" be upgrading any of their Adobe software until you guys get off your *** and make this stuff run on Windows.  Perhaps you should give the software back to Macromedia.

Thank you