8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 1:52 PM by XNtricity

Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration

XNtricity

I made a post yesterday describing the symptoms I was experiencing, but have since figured out the root cause - hence the new question:

Why is Premiere Pro CS5 detecting incorrect footage length?

Specifics:

-30.5GB file

-Lagarith compression

-1280x720 (upscaled from 640x360)

-Actual duration of 30 minutes, 19 seconds

*54582 total frames @30FPS

Once this file is imported into Premiere Pro CS5, it's duration is listed as about 1minute and 41 seconds (just over 3000 total frames). This also happens when the footage is imported into After Effects CS5.

MediaInfo lists the correct duration (both in timecode and total frames), MPC-HC playes the whole file without issue, VDub/AVIMux/etc. all seem to play nice with the file - but PPro/AE do not see the entire length of the footage. Why is this?

If more information is needed, feel free to ask, and I will provide it.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
          Jim_Simon Level 8

If you drag the clip to a sequence, is it all there?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
            the_wine_snob Level 9

How did you do the up-scaling, program used, settings, etc.? Obviously, the CODEC used was Lagarith.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
              XNtricity Level 1

Jim,

No, the timeline will show what the souce monitor does: only 1:42 of a ~30 minute clip is being read by PPro.

Bill,

Let me give a bit of history;

1. I have 3 files that started out as direct-feed 640x360 recordings from a 3D application through a *nix app called GLC.

2. Said GLCs had their raw video and audio streams extracted (Y4M and multichannel WAVEX, respectively).

3. WAVs were stripped down to stereo, and video was compressed using Lagarith via an AVS script through VirtualDub.

(Everything above here shouldn't have an effect, I don't think)

4. Resulting videos were passed through an app called "Video  Enhancer", in order to rescale the footage to 1280x720 using a  high-quality resizing algorithm. Settings used for the application were "smooth motion estimation" and "quarter-pixel estimation". Video files were transcoded from  Lagarith to Lagarith - audio remained untouched uncompressed PCM.

Finally 5. The source 640x360 Lagarith files work perfectly in Premiere Pro, however two of the three rescaled videos do not;

>The first original file is 27:32, at 4.44GB. Rescaled, it comes out to 27.3GB - all of it imports correctly into Premiere Pro.
              >The second original file is 30:19 at 4.60GB. Rescaled, it comes out to 30.5GB - only the first 1:42 imports correctly into Premiere Pro (approximately ~3000 frames  @30FPS), the rest of the file apparently doesn't exist according to  Premiere Pro.
              >The third original file is 17:49, at 2.88GB. Rescaled, it comes out to 18.4GB - again, only the first minute or so is read correctly, the rest of the footage doesn't show up in Premiere Pro.

*As a note, the resultant files are bigger than they need to be, as I did an unnecessary colour space conversion from YV12 to RGB. I did the rescaling again, this time preserving the YV12 colour space for the second file (30:19), resulting in a ~15GB file which still gives me the same problem.

Any ideas? Need more info? I've tried almost everything I can think of this get this to import correctly in Premiere Pro CS5!

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
                the_wine_snob Level 9

>The second original file is 30:19 at 4.60GB. Rescaled, it comes out to 30.5GB - only the first 1:42 imports correctly into Premiere Pro (approximately ~3000 frames  @30FPS), the rest of the file apparently doesn't exist according to  Premiere Pro.

I would guess that something in that file's header is confusing PrPro.

In another similar thread, I mentioned using PrElements to Import files, that PrPro could not get the Durration correct. Though these were DV-AVI files, and should have been fine, this was the one problem. I'd Import to PrE, then immediately Export to the same exact settings, creating an otherwise identical file, but that one had what PrPro needed to see the Duration correctly. The files were identical, according to the attributes, and also to DupeFile Finder, but one was correct in Duration, where the other was not. Like you, this would happen with say 1 file out of 5, converted in DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. I could go for weeks with no issues, and then just hit that one file, that told PrPro of the wrong Duration.

I wonder if a utility, such as Digital Video Repair could fix the header info? Might be worth a shot.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Use Gspot to examine the file.  Post the resulting screenshot.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
                    XNtricity Level 1

Bill,

I have tried writing out the file using separate apps such as AVIMuxGUI, VirtualDub/Mod, and DivFix++, however all have reported the file as correct and are unable to fix anything. Digital Video Repair is also unable to "fix" what appears to be a good AVI file.

Jim,

I have a GSpot screenshot, which I will post below, however I personally believe GSpot is outdated, and MediaInfo would be both more suitable and provide more information. (Note that GSpot is erroneously reporting unneeded bytes at the end of the file - a known issue with GSpot).

gspot1.jpg

Therefore, I will also post the text output of MediaInfo as well.

General
                    CompleteName                     : M:\Mass Movies\day2_2_LAGARITH_BROKEN.avi
                    Format                           : AVI
                    Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
                    Format_Profile                   : OpenDML
                    FileSize/String                  : 30.6 GiB
                    Duration/String                  : 30mn 19s
                    OverallBitRate/String            : 144 Mbps

Video
                    ID/String                        : 0
                    Format                           : Lagarith
                    CodecID                          : LAGS
                    Duration/String                  : 30mn 19s
                    BitRate/String                   : 143 Mbps
                    Width/String                     : 1 280 pixels
                    Height/String                    : 720 pixels
                    DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
                    FrameRate/String                 : 30.000 fps
                    ColorSpace                       : Grey
                    Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 5.172
                    StreamSize/String                : 30.3 GiB (99%)

Audio
                    ID/String                        : 1
                    Format                           : PCM
                    Format_Settings_Endianness       : Little
                    Format_Settings_Sign             : Signed
                    CodecID                          : 1
                    CodecID/Hint                     : Microsoft
                    Duration/String                  : 29mn 17s
                    BitRate_Mode/String              : Constant
                    BitRate/String                   : 1 411.2 Kbps
                    Channel(s)/String                : 2 channels
                    SamplingRate/String              : 44.1 KHz
                    BitDepth/String                  : 16 bits
                    StreamSize/String                : 296 MiB (1%)
                    Interleave_Duration/String       : 35 ms (1.04 video frame)
                    Interleave_Preload/String        : 1033 ms

Like I have said before, all other programs seem to have no issue with the file, Except for Adobe video editing tools (PPro, AE).

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Weird, man.  I'm not noticing anything wrong with the file, with one exception.  There is no defined 30p HD standard.  At 720p, the defined frame rates are 60 and 24.  Having a 30p frame rate shouldn't cause this error, as others can and do use non-standard 30p media with success, but it's the only thing I can find that's "off" with the file.  Outside of that really long shot, I'm baffled.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not detecting correct footage duration
                        XNtricity Level 1

Though I agree that 30p isn't a "standard" for HD footage, it also isn't a hard limitation either. The footage I have isn't supposed to conform to anything in order to play on anything - it's just a video file running at 30FPS, that happens to have a resolution of 1280x720. Premiere shouldn't care about such specifics when importing unless they're ridiculous (like 1000FPS at 5000x5000 or something, in which case you'd most likely run into memory limitations before anything else).

Though I agree that the "Video Enhancer" application I am using is most likely the potential cause of this problem, Adobe's Premiere Pro and After Effects are the only two (of nearly 20 other) applications I have used to either try to "fix" or test importing this footage that have a problem. This leads me to believe that Adobe's engine used for parsing and importing footage has a serious error that needs to be corrected.

I would like to take advantage of Video Enhancer's ability to use adjacent frames to construct current frames when rescaling, and then use Adobe's Premiere Pro to do the necessary editing. This appears to be the only combination that doesn't work in practice, however.