5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 5:09 PM by adninjastrator

Slideshow with images, video and embedded webpages?

FlashNoobie71

Hi Flash Gurus,

I'm a software engineer with no experience of Flash. I've been asked to write a standalone slideshow app which supports images (jpg, etc), video (divx, avi) and webpages (embedded html, rss).

I've done some digging and it looks like flash with flash air could be used to produce a standalone app which would run on both windows and Linux.

Before I start this long (and difficult) process, are my assumptions correct?

Also can anybody suggest a good starting point?

• 1. Re: Slideshow with images, video and embedded webpages?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're correct but unless you need some air specific features (like access to the operating system/local database), you probably don't want to use air.  air apps require installation which isn't too bad if you're trusted AND users have the adobe air runtime installed.  otherwise, it may stop users from using your app.

a flash projector file may be more suitable if installing a program (or programs) is (are) non-starters.

there are lots of flash tutorials easy to find using google.  that would be a good place to start unless you're familiar with oop and just need the api (check the flash help file for available classes, methods, properties and events).

• 2. Re: Slideshow with images, video and embedded webpages?
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Won't there be an issue as far as embedded web pages go?

• 3. Re: Slideshow with images, video and embedded webpages?
              adninjastrator Level 4

If you are displaying images, video, and embedded web pages why not just use html web pages? assemble a mini Web site in other words.

No need for any special application to run them... pretty much every computer has some type of Web browser already built in... which would take care of the display part.

As for the embedded Web pages... are these coming from the Internet? or is this a real stand alone where the Web pages are static and stored in the same folders as your other content?

Once you assemble the slide show, you can F11 the browser (go full screen) so there are no address or tool bars showing and it will look like a neat, complete package deal!

I've done exactly that and also included invisible buttons so user can navigate to particular parts of the slideshow or video. Used in a lobby kiosk at a large hotel in town. With a wireless mouse the Front desk can select various parts of the slideshow if a guest is interested, or just let it run through from start to finish.

Very easy to update or add new material.... it's just a self contained Web site... not connected to the Internet.. although it could be if needed.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 4. Re: Slideshow with images, video and embedded webpages?
                FlashNoobie71 Level 1

As for the embedded Web pages... are these coming from the Internet? or is this a real stand alone where the Web pages are static and stored in the same folders as your other content?

The application is suppose to mirror the homepage on our own website.

• 5. Re: Slideshow with images, video and embedded webpages?
                  adninjastrator Level 4

Is your Website all HTML pages or does it contain any PHP or other "server side" scripting that provide for viewer interaction?

Even if it does, you could provide that same "Web server" capability using something like Wamp:

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

commonly used for testing server side pages and application on a local machine.

So if entire site is HTML, GREAT! no extra concideration needed. can be done on any local machine.

If some PHP or other server side stuff, you could install a "server" of sorts on the local machine which would display any type of Web page that you can imagine. Then those Web pages could provide the platform to display the slideshow images, videos, and of course... web pages.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator