4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 8:11 AM by dougp@thomascomputer.com

Unable to play .avi files Elements Premiere 9

dougp@thomascomputer.com

I am a new user.  HP portable workstation running XP Pro, Nivida graphics

, using a older Flip camera.

When import from the Flip, .avi files are created.  When I try to edit or view the files, the sound plays but no video.

I can see and play audio and video using the Microsoft viewer, but I can not in Elementss 9.

Additional information

Using a newer Flip camera that exports MP4 files, this notebook plays both video and audio.

suggestions Please.

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Unable to play .avi files Elements Premiere 9
          Nash_John Level 3

Can we know exactly what is the codec of the avi file you are using.

To know what a codec is and how to know what is the codec of your video, you can refer to this excellent article by Bill Hunt http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Unable to play .avi files Elements Premiere 9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Only the Flip Ultra and Mino are supported in Premiere Elements 9 and only when you select the appropriate project settings when you set up your project.

Which model of Flip is your video coming from? Which project setting did you select when you set up your project?

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Finally, as John says, there are thousands of varieties of AVIs and very few are actually editable formats. If you use G Spot, you can find out which codec your AVI uses and we can better help you find if your video is or is not supported by this program.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 3. Re: Unable to play .avi files Elements Premiere 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the question that John asked, concerning what is in that AVI wrapper (explained in the article, that John kindly linked to), exactly how are you ingesting the files into PrE?

As you point out, Flip went through some changes in its lifetime. The wrapper structure of the files, plus the CODEC inside, differed model to model.

Good luck, and thank you for the information.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to play .avi files Elements Premiere 9
                dougp@thomascomputer.com Level 1

Thank you for the response.  The older Flip will be back into my office later today and I will respond to your questions.

Regards,

Doug

THOMAS COMPUTER CORPORATION

Doug Polkosky

Visit our web site & online catalog

http://www.thomascomputer.com

203 Park Lake St

Orlando, FL 32803

P: 407-855-2020

F: 407-426-2805

The information contained in this email has been provided only to the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any retransmission, dissemination, or action based upon this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete this email immediately and inform the sender of the error. No email is sent unsolicited. This email is either in response to an email sent from your address or as part of a broadcast that you signed up for. If you would like to be removed from future broadcast mailings, please respond to this email with 'remove' in the subject line. Please allow up to 5 business days for removal.