5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 12:35 PM by ~graffiti

Filling out forms

arribavenezuela

A friend overseas has exactly the same operating system etc. as I do, but he is unable to fill out the spaces on any PDF expense forms from our organization (he can fill out spaces on forms that don't come from our organization). I've taken him through all the steps that I took to be able to fill the forms out but he is still unable to access the spaces. Any suggestions?

He wrote: "I wonder if it's a compatibility problem between the specific version of Adobe Acrobat that was used to generate these particular documents and my particular system.  I'm running OS 10.6.7 on a MacBook Pro and using Adobe Reader 10.0.3.    =("

• 1. Re: Filling out forms
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If he is running OS X (of any flavor) he could be using Mac Preview instead of Adobe Reader (the default PDF reader on a Mac).

He needs to be sure he is using Adobe Reader first off. See if that takes care of it.

• 2. Re: Filling out forms
            arribavenezuela Level 1

I sent on the information and got back a reply. He is using Adobe Reader:: "I have also tried these files with Adobe Reader 9.4 in Windows XP and while the "Properties" says that it has "Filling of Form Fields" is "allowed," I cannot fill them in with XP either (running with Fusion on my MacBook Pro)."

Any other possibliities?

• 3. Re: Filling out forms

arribavenezuela wrote:

the "Properties" says that it has "Filling of Form Fields" is "allowed,"

You can ignore that for the most part. All that says is that "if" the document contained fillable form fields, you have permission to fill them out. It sounds like the document does not contain those fillable fields. They have to be added by the creator of the form.

• 4. Re: Filling out forms
                arribavenezuela Level 1

I use the same forms and I have no problem filling in the fields. I also use the same version of Adobe Reader and the same operating system. It's a mystery as to why I can fill out the forms and he can't!

• 5. Re: Filling out forms

Well they should work for him as well then. On the machine that lets you fill out the fields, if you have the hand tool chosen and mouse over a form field, what happens? Also, check to be sure the form is being opened in Reader instead of Acrobat (for the machine that works). When people have both installed, that is the most common mistake. They look a lot alike when opened.

Also, if the form has fillable fields then there should be a bar at the top of the form that states as much. Do you see that bar on any machines?

Please open the file and go to File>Properties>Description and let us know what the PDF producer is under "Advanced"