3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 8:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 4.0 Will not load

OmahaGrl

I am making a video from granddaughters graduation. Everything was fine last night.  This morning I came in to finish it and my program will not load.

It tries to load and I get to the screen with a purple circle giving the name of the product etc .. then it closes .. and there is nothing.

I need to finish this video.  Please advise.

Thanks

P.S.

Windows XP

Intel Core2Extreme quad-core QX6700 (2.66GHz, 1066MHz,2x4MB

4 MB Ram

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 4.0 Will not load
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of thoughts.

Though XP is an older OS, there are still updates, and hot-fixes, being issued for it. If one has the update set to the default, then these take place behind the scenes, and the user is unaware that the program has been updated. Some of these can render a video, or audio driver obsolete. I would go to the mfgrs' Web sites for both your video card, and your audio card, download and install the very latest drivers. Do not trust Windows, or any utility, to tell you if you have the latest driver. Go to the source.

While updating, I would also go to Apple and update your QuickTime Player.

In the Splash Screen, that circle, if you look just below the center, there is a quickly moving line of text, telling you what PrE is loading, prior to launch. What is the last line, before the Splash Screen disappears? It might go by very quickly, and a "trick" is to set up a video camera, focused at that circle. Start the camera, when the Splash Screen first appears. When the program crashes, just Rewind the tape, near the end, and play it back, Pausing on the very last frame, to read that line of text. Could be that is the element, that is causing the issue.

Also, have you added any new hardware, or software, and especially any audio programs with VST's, or any VST's?

This ARTICLE gives some tips on how to fix, or at least investigate Premiere crashes, or hangs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 4.0 Will not load
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's also a very strange configuration -- XP on a quad core comptuer. Was this a custom built machine? Unfortunately, custom builds can be improperly configured and that too can cause problems when you are trying to edit video.

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive? Do you have more than one hard drive? If so, have you ensured that your second drive is set up as NTFS and not FAT32?

When was the last time you ran a good, deep cleaner on your machine, clearing off any spyware or temp files? Here's my recommended maintenance. I do this every week and my five year old computer runs better than the day I got it!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

If nothing else, run Advanced SystemCare on it and NEVER run your computer with less than 20-30 gigs of free space on your C drive.

Your antivirus program can also interfere, particularly if you are using a program like Norton or McAfee. Avast! Free Editing and Windows Security Essentials are both excellent antivirus programs that don't cost a penny and work much more efficiently than their more pricey counterparts.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 4.0 Will not load
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That's also a very strange configuration -- XP on a quad core comptuer. Was this a custom built machine? Unfortunately, custom builds can be improperly configured and that too can cause problems when you are trying to edit video.

Steve,

I have a workstation with a dual-Quad Xeon CPU setup, and a laptop with Quad-core CPU. Both only have 4GB RAM, and are running XP-Pro SP3, with no issues. I have PrE 4.0 smoothly runnng on the laptop. Yes, both were "custom" rigs, but when built, Vista was the OS, and I did not want to go there. Luckily, when both will be replaced, Vista will be but a bad footnote in history! I had to sign off on the build of the laptop with Sager, as their big rigs of the day were all running Vista. They puzzled, but agreed on XP-Pro, and I never looked back.

Though I am looking forward to the 64-bit OS with Win7 and the new machines, I will miss my XP-Pro, as it's been a great OS on three computers, and has never let me down. Since I've got CS5.5 in the box, just screaming to be installed, I guess that I must say goodbye to my old friend, XP-Pro.

Now, I think you are on to something with the XP-Pro configuration, or the configuration of the machine, as a simple install and run was all it took for my PrE 4.0. I did follow my tips in this ARTICLE on general Adobe installations, so maybe something in there will help the OP?

Good luck,

Hunt