6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 8:39 AM by ProMaxed

CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac

ProMaxed

I just upgraded from CS5 Prod. Prem. to CS5.5 Prod. Prem. All the older versions of the same applications are still in the Applications folder. Can get rid of the old versions without affecting working projects, or the newly installed 5.5/5.1 versions? How do I properly uninstall them?

Thanks in advance,

John

• 1. Re: CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The proper order is to uninstall the previous version, run Clean Script a couple of times and then install the new version. I haven't tried this with CS5 and CS5.5 so maybe the installer got a lot smarter, but the problem was always the registry entries that got messed up when removing a previous version AFTER installing the newer version. Then you had to reinstall the latest version.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac
            ProMaxed Level 1

Hmmm... So, it would have been nice for the readme and / or installation instructions told me that, especially with an upgrade version. Also, I had planned on keeping sound booth, at least for a while, even though audition is much better. My primary concern was hd space. It seems now that my options are to 1. uninstall all (5 and 5.5) and reinstalling 5.5. or 2. leave everything right where it is and hope that having the two different versions don't present a problem. I think I'll see what Clean Script "says". If I start to run it.

Thanks Harm, I'll wait to see if anybody else weighs in too.

• 3. Re: CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> ...leave everything right where it is and hope that having the two different versions don't present a problem.

There is no problem with having both CS5 and CS5.5 versions installed at the same time. It's what most people do. Keeping the old version around is useful if you need to exchange projects with someone who hasn't upgraded yet, etc.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac
                ProMaxed Level 1

Thanks Todd, too late... LOL

Here's what I did (in case it comes up again), it all went smooth as silk, I freed up several gig of hd space... but I haven't tested the new apps yet to make sure all the gears are turning. If I don't post further, everything is fine.

Per Harm's post, I got the Clean Script app (just type in Clean Script in Adobe search pane). Per the directions, I went into the Applications>Utilities>Adobe Installers folder. Within that folder was the installer entitled "Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium". As I had already installed 5.5, that installer was also there, along with some CS4 apps that I'd previously purchased. I clicked on the CS5 installer which launched (to my surprise) the Adobe Application Manager. After about 5 seconds, all the CS5 apps were listed in the Application Mgr. window with check box options to deselect any CS5 app I wanted to keep. As I wanted to retain Soundbooth, I unchecked it. Let the Application Mgr. do it's thing for about 4 min. Presto magico, all CS5 apps (except Soundbooth) gone.

Ran clean script which only removes "install records". Whatever that means... I assume it just removes any bits and pieces left over that the regular uninstall process leaves behind.

That's it... Now we'll see if everything works.

Gonna give the points to Harm, You're gettin paid Todd, right? But thank you too, for your help!

ciao,

John

N.B. will post back if I do have any problems...

• 5. Re: CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Gonna give the points to Harm, You're gettin paid Todd, right?

I don't yet have my pay tied to my number of forum points. [*Whew!*]

• 6. Re: CS 5.5 Prod. Prem. Upgrade From CS 5 on Mac
                    ProMaxed Level 1

Okay, everything went very smooth, everything up and running, external monitors feeding, life is good.

2 small bumps in the process:

1. I had wanted to keep SoundBooth. Running Clean Script (to remove previous remnants of CS5, without removing the applications themselves) removes the licensing information. So if you want to keep any previous CS5 apps around for a while, you will have to re-install them / it.

Note that Clean Script will also remove the Installer / Uninstaller application for the CS5 suite.

2. I had to download and re-install the latest drivers / software for my Blackmagic Design Intensity Card. Video would not output to the external monitor and none of the required BM presets transferred over to the new apps. That only took 5 min. though.

Life is good.

Ciao,

John