28 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2011 3:54 PM by Hudechrome

Cannot open in camera raw

kevin4545 Level 1

I have 4 psd files I just made.

In bridge, right click has no open in camera raw option. Also no open in camera raw from menu.

Last resort: from photoshop open, change dropdown to camera raw -- but then error message comes up:

"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file"

thanks!

• 1. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you save the PSDs with full compatibility mode?  ACR and Lightroom cannot look inside the PSD to things with the layers or paths or selections, they can only edit the composite preview layer that is created when you save with full-compatibility on.  ACR and LR don't have the full-Photoshop engine in themselves, just the bitmap reader that can see RAWs and JPGs and TIFs and the composite preview layer of PSDs and multi-layer TIFs.  If there were no layers or paths or selections or other Photoshop-specific things in the PSDs, then you probably should have saved them as single-layer TIFs that ACR and LR can work with fully.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
            kevin4545 Level 1

thanks S.

these particular shots were just jpges from the camera. Maybe I did have an adjustment layer.

When did the save as to psd, I don't see any "compatibily" box anywhere, can you show me where that is?

I just see embed color profile.

That said you are correct. layers are out for opening in camera raw.

• 3. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Check here, in Photoshop:

• Edit - Preferences - File Handling.
              • Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibilty:  Always

This causes a flattened preview to be saved with the file, which can then be opened through Camera Raw.

* A possible alternative to Always is Ask, which causes a pop-up during saving, but I find that a pain.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                Hudechrome Level 2

Whoa! I am under the impression that ACR cannot open psd. That seems to me to be the answer. ACR handles RAW, Tiff and jpeg, period.

Right or wrong? If wrong, then I also have the OP's problem, but didn't know it is a problem. Compatibility is Always.

• 5. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                  Level 4

Larry,

You can indeed open a PSD file in Camera Raw.  This has been discussed a few times here already.

You need to go through the File menu in Photoshop, File > Open, and when the Open dialog box opens, you go to the lower left-hand corner button that brings up a dropdown menu where you can choose the File Format.  Choose "Camera Raw".

Do not select "Photoshop Raw"!  That has absolutely nothing to do with Camera Raw.

• 7. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                    Hudechrome Level 2

It may work on a Mac, but not PC. Notice that in line extensions for Camera RAW does not include psd. And if you select that file type, Only RAW and dng (for that folder...not tiff or jpeg there) show up in the icons. Curiously, tiff is listed in the list for CR, but not jpeg.

Photoshop image.jpg

• 9. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Yeah, it works on a PC, Lawrence.  I just tried it with both Photoshop CS5 and CS4 to be sure.

Make sure you've saved the PSD with maximize compatibility first.

File - Open As, Camera Raw.  Then choose the .PSD file and voila, it opens in Camera Raw.

Why don't you have Windows set so you can see file extensions?

-Noel

• 10. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                        Hudechrome Level 2

I see the difference. Tai said Open, Noel, Open As. Different paths because Open As does present the psd in RAW, Open does not.

It's peculiar that this happens but until today, I had no notion of this. What's nice is that I frequently want to use the ACR tools after leaving ACR so I convert it or make a copy of the file and save as a tif.This way I do not. A possible problem is that any adjustments in ACR to a psd with layers may not look the same back in PS with the layers in place. I'll have to try it and see. Many of my files have the B&W conversion layer.

I can see the extensions, Noel, but most of my names are long and become abbreviated, so rolling over the icon ID's the extension.

Also, if it's a psd file,it has a big psd flag at the top left of the individual icon.

So, Open As to get psd to open in ACR, Open only opens the files in the expected places. Note that .psd never appears in any list dealing with ACR.

And while I am at it, what is Photoshop RAW anyway? A .RAW format?

No end to learning this tool! I like it!!

• 11. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                          Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

I see the difference. Tai said Open, Noel, Open As…

It's the Open menu item in the File menu in the Mac, Larry.  The Mac does not have an "Open As" command in the File menu, other than Open As a Smart Object in Photoshop.

• 12. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

If you open a PSD file through Camera Raw, whether or not it has layers, it will be opened flat - i.e., one Background, no layers.

Frankly I feel being able to open a file in this "half baked" manner is kind of useless in the general sense, but if you don't need the layers and you want the kinds of adjustments Camera Raw can provide, it can be done.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                              Hudechrome Level 2

WARNING! Don't try this at home!

Or rather, don't try it on a file for which you wish to maintain the layers. Make a Dupe, so then you may as well make a tiff and be done with the folderol!

I suspect this is an anomaly and likely be closed in future editions. It ought to be.

• 14. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

Who knows, maybe PSD was going to be the great compatible intermediate format until DNG eclipsed it.

Note that if you open a PSD file through Camera Raw, you can't just accidentally hit Save.  It will prompt you, as though it was a raw file being opened.  But if you mindlessly say "OK" then yes, you will find your original PSD overwritten by a flat file.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                  Level 4

…And while I am at it, what is Photoshop RAW anyway? A .RAW format?

Larry,

It's Photoshop Raw, not RAW, and it has absolutely nothing to do with camera raw nor with sensor data.  It's an older format that predates raw camera files.

Photoshop Raw is not for digital captures, it's literally a raw format meaning you have to spec out the byte order, etc.  Not even remotely related to raw files from a digital camera.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 16. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                    Level 4

Tai Lao wrote:

…The Mac does not have an "Open As" command in the File menu, other than Open As a Smart Object in Photoshop.

File_menu_in_Ps_Mac.jpg

• 17. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                      Level 4

This old post by Jeff Schewe is relevant to Photoshop Raw:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1209464#1209464

…You can convert NEF to DNG files in Camera Raw and save those out. They will be raw from the standpoint they haven't been processed yet. But they  won't be "Photoshop RAW" files because that's an old method of encoding only the raw pixel data and has zero (nothing) to do with digital photography…
                                      • 18. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                        kevin4545 Level 1

Thanks everyone.

Noel, cool, I've been debating and reading on that never/ always option for years and for some reason ( I now cannot even remember precisely why) I set it to never.

I must have read to do that -- perhaps that preview takes up space and slows things down? that's my guess.

But what about keeping it on never, and just flattening the psd when I want to open in camera raw? (if I remember hopefully to do that!)

You are saying had I had the preference set to always, then PS would have worked off the prevew and it would have opened in camera raw?

Your opionon on the never/ always issue?

And, of course, if it's working off a preview, you wonder when it open in camera raw, how your adjustment will effect the real file (not the preview)

• 19. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                          Hudechrome Level 2

Tai Lao wrote:

…And while I am at it, what is Photoshop RAW anyway? A .RAW format?

Larry,

It's Photoshop Raw, not RAW, and it has absolutely nothing to do with camera raw nor with sensor data.  It's an older format that predates raw camera files.

Photoshop Raw is not for digital captures, it's literally a raw format meaning you have to spec out the byte order, etc.  Not even remotely related to raw files from a digital camera.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

From Jeffs post, which you copied over:

"Photoshop RAW"

From the dropdown;

Photoshop Raw (,RAW)

So, I shout once in a while! Shoot me!

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, and your first post pointing to the Open menu . Lots of legacy extesions still around.

• 20. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                            Noel Carboni Level 7

I have Photoshop set up to Always Maximize Compatibility, myself.

This enables the use of some 3rd party viewers (e.g., IrfanView), and helps better ensure any PSD will be editable by more different software/versions.  That said, most "Never" mode saves can actually be opened by an older version of Photoshop, as long as features not available in the older version have not been used.

I think the data compression may be better when set to Never, because even a flat Background-only file will make a smaller PSD file when set to Never.  Some say it's faster, too.

However big disks are cheap, computers are faster than ever, and I hate closing off options that might mean I "can't get there from here" some day in a situation I just haven't anticipated. 

But that's just my preference.

A single layer Background-only file can be opened with Camera Raw even if saved with "Never Maximize Compatibility".  A multi-layer file cannot.  So yes, if you flatten the file you can keep the "Never" setting.

-Noel

P.S., the "flattened composite" created by saving a compatible PSD is not really a preview - I used the wrong word before.  It's what you'd get with Layer - Flatten, and has all the quality thereof.

• 21. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                              Noel Carboni Level 7

kevin4545 wrote:

You are saying had I had the preference set to always, then PS would have worked off the prevew and it would have opened in camera raw?

Yes, by the way.

-Noel

• 22. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                kevin4545 Level 1

thanks Noel,

well turns out, I did add just one adjustment layer, so that must have been the issue -- not the always/ never maximize corect?

or you are saying that using always, It would do a flatten and create a preview, and then you are ok, and that preview opens in camera raw and effects the full file that could have 5 layers?

• 23. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                  kevin4545 Level 1

PS,

and what are we talking about size wise in using always. What are other trade offs using going to always, thanks again!

• 24. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                    Hudechrome Level 2

Kevin, try what I suggest. Make a dupe of your layered psd file. Using the described technique for your OS, open it in ACR. Don't change a thing. Open from ACR to Photoshop. Click on the layers palette to examine the file you will find no layers. Now, if you save it from PS, your dupe will now be flattened.

Is this what concerns you?

• 25. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                      Noel Carboni Level 7

If you save a PSD with "maximize compatibility" you will always be able to open the PSD with Camera Raw.  However, no matter whether it had layers or not when you saved it, what's opened that way will be a simple, flat, Background-only image.  Possibly not what you want.

If you save a PSD withOUT "maximize compatibility", you will only be able to open it with Camera raw if it was saved as a simple, flat, Background-only image.

Your best bet is to experiment.  I did so to learn all this.  You can too.

-Noel

• 26. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                        kevin4545 Level 1

thansk Noel, did a test, interesting, I preference to always. And it did have the option to open with camera raw from inside PS via the dropdown (and it had one layer).

But in bridge, on a right click, open from camera raw was not offerered, while a .tif I had in the same folder did have the open in camera raw offered on right click. That may be a Bridge issue though.

Finally on the topic, you don't see any bad trade offs from having always?

• 27. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                          Noel Carboni Level 7

None I have sensed, though I have a great workstation so I might not notice that saves are a little slower or files a bit larger.

I've been using this setting since way, way back.

-Noel

• 28. Re: Cannot open in camera raw
                                                            Hudechrome Level 2

Deleted.