13 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 8:41 PM by vydakinfo

Premier Elements Video Degradation

vydakinfo

The Background.

For the past three years, I've been dabbling in video projects and have learned to become pretty good at it (if I do say so myself).  I own three Sony Handycams now (Model number DCR-DVD650) which record onto memory cards, not mini dvds.  I've gotten so good at the videos that they are now earning an impressive, part time salary for me.

Here's the basic problem:  I take the video using the HD setting (I want quality video, not quantity).  When I important the video from the camera to my computer, they are .mpgs.  I select the videos that I want and merely discard the 'wastes of time.'

When I attempt to add the 'raw video' (that's what I call them) to my Adobe Premier Elements project, a window pops up that says 'Unsupported Audio Rate in File.'  So, I use the Sony PMB Video program (which came with the Camera) to convert the videos to .WMVs.  Then, Adobe will happily accept them.

By the time I am done with the project, I render the video project to a .WMV and then post it on Youtube, Facebook, etc. 

The Challenge

When I begin the project (at the point of the videos within the camera), I could not be happier with my work.  By the time the videos make it through two conversions, a rendering and a YouTube filter, they lose 50% of their quality.  So eventhough the video project is completed to my satisfaction, I often receive comments like, 'David, GREAT video!  But when I maximize the video on YouTube/Facebook, it gets really grainy.'  Other people comment - 'You make GREAT videos.  Too bad you don't have a good enough camera.'

The Question.

How do I get the 'raw' video from the camera to the Premier Elements project without losing quality?  I really want to take the crisp, vivid from inside the camera and insert it into the Premier Elements project as it is.  What can I do to make this happen?  Is there another software system I can purchase?  Perhaps a trick from the backend of the video?

The Disclaimer.

Although I have vast experience taking video and my editing skills are worthy of bragging about, I probably do not have 1% of the techincal jargon embedded in my brain.  Simple solutions, please. 

• 1. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, keep WMV out of the mix, unless you need to Export/Share to that, when all editing is done. It is heavily-compressed, and is meant ONLY as a delivery-only format for streaming video.

Next, what are the possible Audio settings in your camera?

Ideally, you want a Sample Rate of 48KHz and a Bit-Depth of 16-bits.

That should get you editing the original footage, and not some conversion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
            vydakinfo Level 1

Thanks so much for the advice. I will attempt to obtain the audio setting information from my camera (I have no clue how to ascertain that, but I'll give it a go).

Thanks for the advice about the WMV.  The default conversion software with the camera (called 'PMB') provides WMV as the only manner of converting videos, so I was hope to use something else to convert them myself.

When the final video project is ready to be rendered, is there a setting or selection that you would recommend (clearly not WMVs)?

Many of the videos that I've begun creating will be used on business websites, Youtube and Facebook when they are completed.

Thanks again.

Vydak

• 3. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I will attempt to obtain the audio setting information from my camera (I have no clue how to ascertain that, but I'll give it a go).

Most of these types of settings are accessed via a menu, and usually will either display on the LCD viewer, or around the edges of the viewfinder, though they many only appear for a few moments, and then clear.

The manual should also give you a chart of the available settings for almost everything. It might be in the section on the menu, or in an appendex at the back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                vydakinfo Level 1

Thanks again.  To be honest, I don't use the audio from the raw videos at all.  I have a separate audio recording device and I sync them up when constructing the project so if I can get past this problem it will mean the world to me.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This is just a guess, but some cameras offer the ability to record narration, after the fact, and will often choose a lower Sample Rate, say 24KHz or 32KHz and also 12-bit Bit-Depth. Again, even though you do not use the Audio in the file, set to 48KHz @ 16-bit. This will save having to de-mux (separate out the Video & Audio into separate files) the files. Again, saving you a step.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                    Barb__O Level 4

Hunt,

I don't know if this will help -- here is some info I found about the Sony DCR-DVD650 camcorder

Record
                    When using 16GB Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media (sold
                    separately): Standard Defi nition: HQ = up to 235 min.,
                    SP = up to 340 min., LP = up to 715 min.

Audio Recording Format Dolby® Digital 2ch stereo
                    Microphone Built-in Zoom Microphone

Video Actual 16:9 410k pixels
                    Video Actual 4:3 340k pixels
                    Video Resolution 720 x 480
                    Video Signal System NTSC color, EIA standards
                    Video Format(s) Supported SD (MPEG-2)

• 7. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb O,

Thanks for that. With the MPEG format, I had assumed that the Auido would be DD AC3, rather than PCM/WAV. Was not sure if the camera shot in DD 5.1 SS mode too, but it appears that it does not.

I'm still guessing that it's the Sample-Rate and/or the Bit-Depth, of that DD AC3 Audio, that is the issue.

As a side-note, both PrE and PrPro do not really like muxed MPEG files, and can have issues with the Audio in those files, but this is after Import. Getting that error at Import indicates something is not right with the Audio stream.

Worst-case would be to de-mux the file, and only Import the Video stream.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                        Barb__O Level 4

I am curious

-- what version of Premiere Elements ?

-- what is the type of project that you have set as your premiere elements Project Setting ?

• 9. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                          vydakinfo Level 1

Thanks to the both of you for your assistance.  I won't like and pretend to understand everything that you are mentioning.  I certainly have no ego to bruise in this department.  I am the founder of a very large organization that began helping businesses in an attempt to get customers.

Version of Pre Elements

Two years ago, I purchased Pre Elements 1.0 off of Ebay for $25.00 and began learning the basics.  Now, two years later, I have version 4.0 and recently purchased 7.0.  I haven't downloaded 7.0 yet.  There's so much to learn!

So now, local businesses are willing to pay me to continue making more videos for their businesses.  Now, my value is beginning to outweigh my knowledge.  Time to really learn this stuff (video making).

Barb O., by 'what type of project', what do you mean by that? I've reviewed the preferences section and I can't ascertain how the project is 'identified.'

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the videos (right out of the camera) are beautiful - crisp and clear. If I can learn how to take the 'raw' video and merely convert it so I can use it on Pre Elements, I can render the final product as a Mpeg and go from there.

Like I said earlier in this thread, everyone loves my videos but merely wishes that the end result was much 'crisper.'

Is there maybe another video making software system that is more 'forgiving' in terms of accepting raw video from the cameras?

And I want to say again.....thank you for your comments, assistance and advice.

David

• 10. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                            Barb__O Level 4
                            Barb O., by 'what type of project', what do you mean by that? I've reviewed the preferences section and I can't ascertain how the project is 'identified.'

David, when you start a new project, it must have a Project Setting. For your camera with Premiere Elements 4, I think that project setting would be Hard Drive, Flash Memory Camcorder and then a sub chice of Widescreen (IF you chose widescreen or subcoice of Standard if you chose 4:3 when filming). You can not change this setting during the project.   

Based on what I saw at the Sony site, your camera takes standard definiton mpg (MEPG-2 format) with stereo audio.  I can not explain why your audio would be rejected, but I do suggest that you try with the Project Setting as I described above.

• 11. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

In this ARTICLE are links to some great resources. One that will be very useful is Steve Grisetti's Basic Training, as it will get you up to speed quickly in PrE. He also has a book on PSE/PrE, and several just for PrE. I highly recommend them all.

Good luck, and thanks to Barb O for handling much of this thread. Please see her reply above for directions on setting up the New Project with the proper Preset.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                                Ted Smith Level 3

Do you find that the Youtube pic is any worse than the WMV you send them?

When I use the method below, they look the same

I always use AVI and AVCHD fornats for editing.PE9 will mix them in the one project.

You should be able to get AVI out of PMB from SD Sony cameras.

Better still if you have HD cameras use AVCHD (produces M2TS files)

Convert the AVI or M2TS final product to FLV, using one of the converters available than will convert it to FLV.

Send this FLV to Youtube. This is the format they send everything out on so there is the least conversion and it's quicker.

See other posts in this forum about sending to Youtube and interlace problems with FLV.

• 13. Re: Premier Elements Video Degradation
                                  vydakinfo Level 1

Thank you all for the assistance.  I'll tell you what I've done so far which has made about a 20% difference to begin with.  I immediately

extract the 'Raw' videos from the camera and immediately convert them to AVIs.  Then, I use the AVI's in Pre Elements 7.0 while building the videos.  Then, I render the final video as a Mpeg.  Even watching the tiles/transitions are a big difference to start with.  Now, I will begin incorporating all of your advice as well.

Thanks again.

David