3 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 7:46 PM by JJMack

No XMP-Exif in PS CS5 headers. Where did it move to?

aworsham

I have been using the xmp-exif information in the header of psd files CS3v to be able to verify image size. The data is no longer in the header of the file. I would like to know where I can find it so that I can reference that in vb. If that is no an option, how can I write it to the header when the file is saved out on Photoshop cs5 so that it can be verified.

• 1. Re: No XMP-Exif in PS CS5 headers. Where did it move to?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop and other programs can strip meta-data including EXIF data frome images for example save for web and devices has that as an option. You can use that option to make files a little smaler and keep prying eyes from being able to see your meta.  If you edit a image file stripped of metadata and and save a PSD file it will not have EXIF data.  Stitching programs may also save PSD files without Exif data for even if all the image stitched were shot using the same setting their exif data would not be the same the time stamps would at least differ.  PSD file may also be created form a new document that have images placed or pasted into it. Photoshop would not create Exif data for open new document and pasteing an image from the clipboard content would not have exif data. If you placed in images into your new document their Smart Object layer many have EXIF data if you double click on the smart object Photoshop will open the embedded object in Photoshop.  So the question you need to answer is did the PSD file ever have EXIF data. How was the PSD file created in the first place.

Why is your question in a scripting forum not the Photoshop Windows/Mac foums. Also Photoshop can be used to change images size and I do not beleive it would change any EXIF data to reflect that the image's size has been changed. Or is that what your verifying that the current images pixel size is the same as the exif pixel size. But then canvas could have been so there would ba a border around an image the may or may not have been resized.  What is it that you are trying to verify?

• 2. Re: No XMP-Exif in PS CS5 headers. Where did it move to?
            aworsham Level 1

Yes the data was in the file headers in CS3 and CS4. The whole structure of the XMP data has been changed with CS5.

• 3. Re: No XMP-Exif in PS CS5 headers. Where did it move to?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

aworsham wrote:

Yes the data was in the file headers in CS3 and CS4. The whole structure of the XMP data has been changed with CS5.

Is the data there in a different format or not there?  How was the PSD file created?. Please use menu File>File Info... (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+I) is there an exif tab and if so is the data in there. I have no problem opening a raw file save it as a PSD file close the RAW image I opened. Then open the save PSD file and pasrsing the EXIF data with my old script.  I needed to make no changes when I upgraded from PS CS2 to CS3 to CS5... My script works for all those versions of Photoshop.