8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 8:06 AM by the_wine_snob

PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec

gmillikan

You can see in the first screenshot that the mt2s files shows up in Premiere Elements as only an audio clip.  You can see in the second screenshot the video and audio codes (VC-1 and A52) which are supposed to be supported in PE9 per link below.  What am I doing wrong?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/862/cpsid_86248.html

ScreenShot031.png

ScreenShot030.png

Thanks,

http://www.t1shopper.com/

• 1. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Where did the files come from? What camera, brand and model was used?

There is also a fairly recent thread on someone else with the VC-1 CODEC. There might be some useful info in there too.

Also, in the links on Supported File Formats, I did not see the VC-1 CODEC. Did I just miss that?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, this Wiki-pedia Article covers some of the VC-1 specs.

For some general discussion on CODEC's, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, which project settings did you select when you set up your project? You must select the appropriate AVCHD codec in order for your video to work. (You'll know you've selected the right project preset because, when you place your video clips on the timeline, there will be no red lines above yoru clips.)

Additionally ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program's instructions.

• 4. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec
                gmillikan Level 1

Adobe says that mt2s is a PE9 supported container.  Mt2s is just a container (see this link) which holds the data which is encoded by the VC-1 codec.   In other words, the encoded data is wrapped in the mt2s container. Since VC-1 is a supported codec of the mt2s container I'd expect Adobe would support it?

Remeber the issue here isn't that PE9 can't open the file.  It can open the file.  It's just that it's only getting the audio.  It's stripping off the video.  What's left in PE9 after import is just an audio file.

Why is PE9 unable to get the video?

Thanks,

Geoff

PS. The file plays just fine in VidoLAN player and TMPGEnc 4.1 has no problem importing it.  Windows Media Player only plays the audio which is odd because VC-1 codecis a Windows codec.  The file is off of a Bluray movie.

• 5. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec

Geoff, you still haven't confirmed if you've properly set up your project for this video format. Can you at least confirm that so that we'll know that element of the program was properly installed?

Also, what model of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer? Usually, when you use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to bring in video from an AVCHD camcorder, the video is M2T or MTs format. It could be that, if you're using a hybrid solution or another program to get the file from your camcorder to your computer (such as using Finder or Windows Explorer to move the file to your computer) this suffix isn't getting changed and the program is not recognizing the file.

Can you please give us some details from your workflow so we can figure out why this supported format is coming in in a format the program isn't supporting?

• 6. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec
                    gmillikan Level 1

Steve: Sorry, I was posting the same time as you and so missed your post!

Can you at least confirm you've properly set up your project for this video format.

I didn't!  So I chagned it to the below (see screenshot) and tried it again but still getting the same result, no video, only audio.

ScreenShot033.png

How did you get it into your computer?

This file is off of a Bluray disk that was already encoded as a Bluray movie, so of course those files are in the D:\BDMV\STREAM directory.

Usually, when you use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to bring in video from an AVCHD camcorder, the video is M2T or MTs format.

Agreed, but that's not the case here.

...ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime

Yes, I do.

ScreenShot034.png

please give us some details from your workflow...

Sure!

1. Open PE9
                    2. Open project with above settings
                    3. Click on the Organize -> Get Media tab.
                    4. Open the 00001.mt2s file on the Bluray disk
                    5. PE9 confirms the file
                    6. I preview the file and it's only audio.

Thanks!

PS.  Here's what PE9 says the properties of the file are.  Note it saysit's an "MPEG Movie."

ScreenShot032.png

• 7. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec

I'm sure your problem is related to the fact that you're editing video ripped from a BluRay disc rather than video from a camcorder.

I'm just not sure what the solution is. I've never heard of a workflow like this -- but I'm sure it's at the core of your problem.

The D drive -- is that your disc player? You do know you need to get the video off your disc and onto your hard drive, right?

If you have moved this video to your hard drive, what program did you use to "rip" it?

• 8. Re: PE9 > Drops video during import of mt2s with VC-1 codec
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, because a CODEC is used inside a wrapper, does not mean that any NLE program can use THAT CODEC. For more info, see this ARTICLE.

As an example, one would put Xvid inside an AVI wrapper. PrE can work with AVI, as they are supported in very general terms, but the Xvid CODEC negates that. The wrapper is virtually meaningless, and it's what's inside that counts. PrE can handle many common AVI's, but only because they use a CODEC, that it can work with, like DV/DVC. Same for MPEG, MPV, Mt2, etc. Wrap some different CODEC into an AVI and all bets are off.

Sorry about that, but it's just the way that it is.

Hunt