5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 2:42 PM by bellmedia

How to choose an arbitrary fps - frames per second

sebastian___

I selected the Custom editing mode and still I can only choose some presets. I can't write 20 FPS for example. But I can choose 15 FPS.

In older versions of Premiere you could choose any fps.

Is there a way to use 20 fps in premiere ?

And to not make a new topic, is the empty spaces on the left of the tracks used for something ? I mean sometimes some kind of buttons or indicators appear there ? Because otherwise why is that space empty for no reason ? Seems like a waste

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/images/es_08.png

• 1. Re: How to choose an arbitrary fps - frames per second
          shooternz Level 6

That space is used as part of a track targetting workflow that I never use or ever fathomed out how to use properly.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to choose an arbitrary fps - frames per second
            sebastian___ Level 1

Thank you for answer. Mistery solved

But is there a way to choose any fps ? Like in older Premiere

• 3. Re: How to choose an arbitrary fps - frames per second
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The "empty" spaces serve a purpose once you load a clip into the Source Monitor. They allow you to route the incoming video and audio to one or more destination/target video and audio tracks.

There is no direct way to create a sequence with the frame rate you want. I don't quite know why Premiere is limited in this regard, to the few frame rates that are there, but it is capable of creating a sequence with non-standard frame rates.

If you have a clip with a 20fps frame rate, and with all the other parameters you need, e.g. frame size, simply drag the clip to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel. This will create a sequence that matches your clip, including the frame rate.

If you don't have a clip at 20fps, import another clip that has all the parameters you need, e.g. frame size, the right-click it and select Modify > Interpret Footage. Set the frame rate to whatever you need--in this case, 20fps--and hit OK. Now, follow the steps above to create a new sequence. Unfortunately, there is no way to save this as a sequence preset, so you might just want to create a project with a single sequence at this frame rate, which you can then import into your working project whenever you need it.

Here's proof this can be done:

20fps.png

Note that the time display will always be "Frames" since this is not a standard frame rate.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to choose an arbitrary fps - frames per second
                sebastian___ Level 1

Thank you for answer.
                It is an awkward workaround but at least we have a workaround as opposed to numerous other cases where not even a workaround is available.

I just noticed in After Effects in RAM preview and in Composition Settings you have the same drop down menu with presets frames per second. Except there if you click with the mouse the number, you could change it to any number (hmm not quite - maximum is 99).

I think in the past in the older Premiere Pro CS the same was with the resolution. You couldn't change it after you made the project, and now I was surprised to see that in CS 5 you can finally edit and change the resolution anytime.

• 5. Re: How to choose an arbitrary fps - frames per second
                  bellmedia

I am a very new user, and strugled with this one.

I found a way around it which may well be very naff.

Run the 20fps footage through handbrake and in the video pane select constant frame rate and put your desired rate in lets say 25 in this example. (closer to 20 the better) then do the usual variable bit rate at 5000 thing.

save the video.

take the original 20fps vid and strip the audio off in premier.

put the new 25fps clip in

unlink the audio and delete it

add your original audio from the 20fps clip

stretch the video to match the audio clip by right clicking the clip, selecting the duration option and putting the length of the audio clip you added in.

I still had to fiddle a bit to get it exactly synced (and to be fair i am editing a screen shot tutorial so i haven't had to sync lip movements etc) but it still worked well enough for my purposes.

The clip i was working on was 30mins long, so with short clips the syncing would be much easier I think.

Treat this suggestion with suspicion, as I am really only working from a very basic knowledge of NLE.

Cheers