13 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 9:11 AM by hiphopsuperman

Offline/ Online workflow question

lou4uandme Level 1

Hi ,

From what I read, when working wih a low res clip ( 720 x 480) in a 1920 project (full res), you have to (right click) SCALE TO FRAME to make your proxy image fit the window. Ok I get that but doesn't that mean that every time I drag a clip on the timeline, I have to keep doing that?

That seems like a pain to always have to SCALE TO FIT for every new clip I drag to the timeline.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

It's a bit unclear from your description what you are trying to do.
          I'm not sure where the offline/online workflow applies.

If you have SD (720x480) media, you should be working
          with a sequence setting that matches your SD footage.

If you are trying to include SD (720x480) media into a sequence
          comprised of mainly HD (1920x1080) footage, you will get the
          best quality result by using Magic Bullet Instant HD to up-res
          your SD footage to HD.

Is there a better way?

You can select multiple clips, right-click, and "Scale to Frame Size" for all.

• 2. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I think what the OP is trying to do is edit using SD proxies of his HD footage and then relink all his files to the HD originals... Usually done when you're computer isn't powerful enough to handle the edit with HD footage. The biggest downside to this is that the most processor-intensive stuff (color correcting) can't really be done till you get the HD originals into your project. But I suppose it might save some time. I personally never found it worth the hassle, even on a slower system.

And no, if you're using the scale to frame size command, there's no way to do all of them at once, unless they're on the timeline already--just shift+click on the clips to select multiples (or use the A tool to select a whole bunch back-to-back) and then right click and hit "scale to frame size."

To convert the frame sizes to 1920x1080 in the bin, you could try selecting your files there, right clicking, and go to Modify>Interpret Footage. From there you can change the frame rate, size, pixel aspect ratio, etc. That should give you basically the same result.

• 3. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

Why use 4x3 proxies in a 16x9 timeline?

• 4. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Just cause it's SD doesn't mean it's 4x3... it can be 16x9, too... It would just display with a letterbox on a 4x3 SD TV is all.

• 5. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Is there a better way?

The best way is to get a computer capable of handling the native material.  Don't use proxies.

• 6. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                    lou4uandme Level 1

Well, I haven't had the time to build another Pc but my system is:

Quad core 6600 2.6 GHZ

6 Gig ram

470 Nvidia

No Raid system

-----------------------

In the past, I've edit XHA1 footage with no problem

When I dropped the native 5D footage, it plays fine however scrubbing is bad. It's better with res set to 1/4 but still not as good as the XHA1 footage.

So that's why I thought "Offline"  Also, I noticed that the ram useage goes way up when attempting to scrub and within 30 minutes, I max out the ram.

It goes from opening the project with 2 gig used to 5.4 gigs used after 30 minutes. I never had this issue with XHA1 footage.

Does anyone know if I install  16 gigs of ram, will "Scrubbing" improve or is that CPU ?

• 7. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                      shooternz Level 6

Preferences have a Scale media to Fit option for the projecyt which I assume is Global.

• 8. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Quad core 6600 2.6 GHZ

That really is quite underpowered for your material.  I'd seriously consider an upgrade to an i7 950 or i7 2500K at a minimum.  Either should bring much better performance.

• 9. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                          hiphopsuperman Level 2

I don't think Lou is asking whether or not his computer is powerful enough to edit full HD. He i asking about the proper way to use proxies.

To answer your question Lou, here is how I use proxies to edit video from my 550d on my 4 year old HP laptop. Certainly slower than your rig.

I find that when using "scale to fit" on the SD videos on my HD timeline, scrubbing is not as smooth as I would like. Thats why I edit with 2 seperate sequences. A first for my SD footage and a second for my HD footage.

I do almost all editing in my SD sequence (inclusing cuts, transitions, and some quick color correcting), copy/paste to the HD sequence, then replace SD footage with the HD stuff. I then do final CC before exporting.

Hope that helps.

• 10. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            I don't think Lou is asking whether or not his computer is powerful enough to edit full HD. He i asking about the proper way to use proxies.

I get that.  I'm suggesting he's asking the wrong question, going down the less desirable path to solving the issue.  The better option is to upgrade the hardware and then the problem simply goes away.

• 11. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                              hiphopsuperman Level 2

If the solution I offered him makes the problem go away, I managed to do so without having him spend a dime. The better option is not always throwing money at the problem.

• 12. Re: Offline/ Online workflow question
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

That's the beauty of an open forum.  Posters get multiple viewpoints and answers to their question.

Ain't it great?