2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 8:23 AM by Karl_Sigiscar_1971

Is upgrade to flash catalyst CS5.5 worth it?

Andy Wason Level 1

I'm using panini and burrito right now. If i spend the $80 to go to FC CS5.5 is it worth it?

Will it still round trip with Burrito? (FB upgrade is about $400 I think)

Other option is to upgrade my Master Collection but that's still gonna cost $600 I think. Not sure which version of FB that gives me.

I guess I'm wondering , will FC CS5.5 give me anything significant that I don't already have in Panini?

• 1. Re: Is upgrade to flash catalyst CS5.5 worth it?
          robhuddles Level 2

The release version of Flash Catalyst CS5.5 is phenomenally better than Panini. There are tools that are not in the beta, and most important the round-tripping stuff really works, instead of the only-sort-of working that they had in the beta.

There's also the issue that neither Panini nor Burrito are going to keep working forever. I don't know precisely what the cut-off date is, but I would suspect it will be fairly soon.

Master Collection includes Flash Builder Premium. Adobe recognized that they made a mistake with CS5 in only including Standard and they fixed it this time out.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is upgrade to flash catalyst CS5.5 worth it?
            Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

For me, the two main reasons to upgrade are:

- The ability to create resizable applications

- The possibility to import a FXPL with custom skinnable components created in Flash Builder, and to skin these components in Flash Catalyst

But there are other improvements concerning transitions, the timeline and so on...