5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Won't Recognize my HFM31

keith437

I just installed Premire Elements 9 whcih is my first version of the program.  It will not recognize my Cannon HMF31.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Won't Recognize my HFM31
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can  you give us a bit more details? How is your camcorder connected and which Get Media tool did you use to retrieve the video?

The HF M31 is an AVCHD camcorder. Have you created a project set up for this cam's AVCHD specs and then used Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD or Camcorder to locate the camcorder and download the files? What specs did you set your new project to?

Can you browse to the files on the camcorder using Finder or Windows Explorer?

Otherwise, if you can be more specific what it is you're doing and what's not happening -- and maybe some information such as what operating system you're running the program on -- we can offer more specific advice.

• 2. Re: Won't Recognize my HFM31
            keith437 Level 1

I am using a USB Connection to my computer from the camera (No fire wire option).

The current project setting is NTSC-AVCAD-Full HD 1080i 30 (There is nother one exactly like that one but it includes 5.1 sound,s houd I be using that one?)

After creating the project I click "Get Media" and select HDV Camcorder.  A pop up box states "No HDV Camcorder Found.

Thanks,

Keith

• 3. Re: Won't Recognize my HFM31

That's because you're not using an HDV camcorder. You're using an AVCHD camcorder.

You should be using Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Camera and then using the Video Importer to download the video from your camcorder. (Video from a hard drive camcorder does not stream into a computer. It downloads as files.)

Please check your camcorder specs for information on the video's frame size and audio. As you can see, there are at least four project settings for AVCHD video, depending on whether your video is 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 and whether it shoots in 5.1 audio or stereo. It's very important that you make the right selection if you want to have a successful project!

According to these specs, your cam shoots PAL 1920x1080 AVCHD in 5.1 audio. (You'll know if you've set your project up right because, when you place your video on the timeline, you will NOT see a red line above the clips until you add effects to them.)

Have you checked out my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com? They'll help you get started.

• 4. Re: Won't Recognize my HFM31
                keith437 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks. I selected that and it worked great.  One question, under project their are two options for 1080 with 5.1 sound..  One is Full HD and the other is just HD. Which one should I use?

I will check out the site you suggested.

Thanks again,

Keith

• 5. Re: Won't Recognize my HFM31

As I said, you need to check your camcorder specs. Canon didn't publish full specs online.

Full HD is 1920x1080 and HD is 1440x1080.

These are both, by the way, hi-def video and they create the same size video frame. As I explain in my books, one format just creates your video with square pixels of color while the other creates it from non-square pixels.