17 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 8:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team

shooternz Level 6

Just completed post on a 48 Hour film competition and I have to acknowledge...

Adobe CS5.5 was instrumental in getting us to the finish line ( 48 Hours start to finish) ... on time and with a great result.

( Acknowledging awesome writers , crew, audio guys and others as well)... but..

CS5.5 Suite ...Native editing, real time edits(CUDA/MPE)  and fast rendering  made a huge  difference.

Our delivery requirement was file based H264 (to a spec)

The entire Adobe Suite was flawless and rock solid.

• 1. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
          Level 4

can you tell more about the shoot ?  what camera ? format ? how recorded ( to card, tape ? or using hd sdi out ? ) ... how did you apply luts to your footage ?  any special hardware ?

• 2. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for that. That's why we do what we do.

• 3. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
              shooternz Level 6

Rod

We shot a "Horror 'film (our alloted genre) on the Panasonic Af102 ( AVCHD 1080ph) using Nikkor lenses.

Recorded to SD cards.

I decided to be the editor (instead of the D.P) - I wanted some narrative experience and my AC shot it. ( He did a great job too)

I only used Premiere Color Correction filters ( eg Fast Color Corrector)  because of realtime attribute ( brilliant) and because I wanted a real film CC look. Not the "fake looks" of MB presets.   The CC filters in Premiere are excellent and much over looked by editors.  ( although it gets some "ups" from 'The Color Correction Handbook' - a great read BTW) I was particularly keen to only use the filters I did and they did not let me down.  Speed is of the essence in a 48 Hour film competition.

Special Hardware 'award' goes to CUDA Cards and the Adobe technologies that uses them so well.

Craig

• 4. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                UlfLaursen Level 2

Very nice, Craig

Would love to se a short clip on-line if possible

/Ulf

• 5. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                  shooternz Level 6

Ulf.  Sorry...Rules prevent it until the competition is finalised

• 6. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                    Level 4

Shooternz,

Thanks for all the details !  Helps me to understand whats possible with cs5.5.  I hope you WIN first prize !  Is this one of those competitions where you get like $20,000 worth of equipment from Panasonic if you win 1st prize ??  At any rate...GOOD LUCK !

--------------

We shot a "Horror 'film (our alloted genre)

----------------

Gotta be the winner....considering all the scary snakes and misc scary stuff you've been exposed to here for the past year.

• 7. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                      RDA972 Level 3

"considering all the scary snakes and misc scary stuff you've been exposed to here for the past year"

And who is to blame for all that scary stuff?

• 8. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                        Level 4

-----------

And who is to blame for all that scary stuff?

-----------

BILL HUNT !  ASK ANYONE ---- 

• 9. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                          {KMS} Level 2

I totally agree.  I think the CC filters in PPRO are underrated.  I try to stick with the GPU accelerated effects to keep my timeline fast...it's amazing what you can do with the stock filters once you play with them a bit.

KMS

• 10. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                            RDA972 Level 3
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

robodog2 wrote:

BILL HUNT !  ASK ANYONE ----

These are serious charges, what is your evidence?

• 11. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                              Level 4

moving to lounge ( where there's some BEER THIRTY stuff )

but , meantime...for the life of me I can't find that scary snake he sent me in the mail ( that I threw against the wall almost breaking my TV set and stuff... ) and made me jump straight up about 8 feet off the couch !...breaking the Olympic standing long jump "record".

I know I posted a shot of that thing here ( it is a very real looking snake ! ) ...but can't find it !

anyway...HE STARTED THE SCARY SNAKE STUFF ( and all subsequent scary stuff IMO ! ) ...KILL BILL !

( no ....just kidding...that was some stupid movie with Uma Thurman , which proves " actors will do ANYTHING " )

Rod

• 12. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                                shooternz Level 6

I totally agree.  I think the CC filters in PPRO are underrated.  I try to stick with the GPU accelerated effects to keep my timeline fast...it's amazing what you can do with the stock filters once you play with them a bit.

KMS

I would love to be able to discuss my ideas as regards Adobe Color Correction directly with Adobe Development or someone that knew how to write a plugin for Premiere.

The tools and bits are already there to make an excellent CC "Filter"   inside a simple interface.

Anyone know how to use the Premiere SDK?

Serious Magicians...where are you?

Craig

• 13. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

BILL HUNT !  ASK ANYONE ---

Man, teach me to head to San Francisco for a few days, and turn my back on all of you!

Now, I was just down the road from the big Adobe building, right near China Basin, but could not get near it, as there were baseball games, that snarled up traffic all over that part of the city. Also, it was the weekend, so I'd only have expected to see Todd working... (actually, I highly doubt that his office is in that building).

Craig,

Thanks for the feedback and best of luck with the competition. When allowed, many would love to see the trailer.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                                    RDA972 Level 3

"When allowed, many would love to see the trailer."

Count me in.

• 15. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Looks like 3 votes! I know that you'll be busy, being fitted for that new Armani tux, and writing your speech for the awards, but do not forget about us, the little people, lurking in the forum, waiting for that trailer...

Hunt

• 16. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                                        shooternz Level 6

Maybe...maybe... but its still a long way to the red carpet

Here is a link to the reviews from last night screening ( The Heats).

http://reviews.v48hours.co.nz/reviews/2011/auckland/01/bad-rock

Did I mention ...we got audience favourite in our heat?

• 17. Re: Thanx Adobe... part of the dream team
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, if you had product placement for Stihl Chainsaws, then all should be good.

Here's hoping for the best.

Going back a lifetime, or two, we were nominated for an Academy Award for Best Industrial Short, and I went out to get fitted for a new tux. Unfortunately, we were eliminated in the first cut, so never even made it to the list, that the big names even mention in the awards presentation. Hey, that new tux lasted me for several more years, as I "out grew" my previous one... Wish that I could still fit into it now, but that is life. At my age, a 32" waist is not even something that I can remember with any clarity - unfortunately!

Hope that you have a better video (than did I, though it was film back then) and more luck, than I did, so very, very long ago. That might have been my highest moment, though also my lowest point, when we were immediately eliminated. Still, I have some fond memories to share with children gathered at my feet (though not MY children) over a glass of Port, as I wax poetic. Maybe if I'd convert my Umax tape and re-edit? Nah, it just was not THAT good.

Remember, trailer time for the assembled masses. I'll dig out the Cloudy Bay SB's, in your honor (or is that honour?).

All the best,

Hunt