5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 7:29 PM by the_wine_snob

AC-3 support across CS5 suite

Sam Khoury

Hi

this isn't a PPro question (sorry) but seeing that many expert users frequent this forum more than the Bridge forum, i thought i would post here...

I have a few video files with AC-3 encoded audio

Audio
      ID                               : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
      Format                           : AC-3
      Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
      Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
      Muxing mode                      : DVD-Video
      Duration                         : 1mn 24s
      Bit rate mode                    : Constant
      Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps
      Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
      Channel positions                : Front: L R
      Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
      Bit depth                        : 16 bits
      Compression mode                 : Lossy
      Delay relative to video          : -514ms
      Stream size                      : 2.58 MiB (6%)

the files load and play fine in Premiere (CS5), Soundbooth etc... but not in Bridge (4.0.4.2) , the video plays but audio isn't there...

is AC-3 support supposed to be uniform across the entire CS5 Production Premium suite ? are there DLL i need to copy to the Bridge directory ?similar to the old issue in CS4 ?

thanks in advance

Sam

• 1. Re: AC-3 support across CS5 suite
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Bridge doesn't license all of the codecs that the video and audio applications do, so not all file types supported by Premiere Pro are supported by Bridge.

• 2. Re: AC-3 support across CS5 suite
            Sam Khoury Level 1

Todd

thanks for the follow-up... what i find odd is that the same files preview fine on my old setup running CS4. could Adobe have dropped AC-3 licensing from Bridge CS5 ?

Sam

• 3. Re: AC-3 support across CS5 suite
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Previous versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro installed both DLLs  and ActiveX controls for codecs licensed from third parties. After  Effects CS5 (and later) and Premiere Pro CS5 (and later) only install the DLLs, because we don't  need the ActiveX controls, and they were just causing problems. Unknown  to us, Bridge CS4 was relying on those ActiveX controls being installed.  So, Bridge CS5 and later---not having these codecs---can't play some kinds of  files.

In a manner of speaking, Bridge CS4 being able to play these files was an accident.

If you want to have AC-3 preview in Bridge, you should make a feature request.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AC-3 support across CS5 suite
                Sam Khoury Level 1

thanks for the answer.. not the one i was hoping for ...[a patch is available or modify this setting] but at least a very authoritive one. i will add my voice to the wishlist for AC-3 and fill the form on the link you provided

Sami

• 5. Re: AC-3 support across CS5 suite
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sami,

Absolutely do file a Feature Request, per Todd's link. Often, things will be done for some programs, and there can be "trickle down effects" for others, like Bridge. Adobe tries to cover every base, but that becomes very difficult. What works in PrPro, AE or others, might "break" something in a program, like Bridge. Please let Adobe know.

Good luck,

Hunt