11 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 8:21 AM by John T Smith

RAM Upgrade

likemovies Level 1

Hi, as I come to learn more about the intensive requirements of video editing, I am considering upgrading my PC from 2GB to 4GB. Think I'll see an appreciable difference? I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex machine. Thoughts appreciated.

• 1. Re: RAM Upgrade
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More ram will help, as will a 2nd or 3rd hard drive

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
          1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write files
          Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
          You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
          One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RAM Upgrade
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

4 gigs of RAM is better than 2 in that it gives the program more breathing room -- but you're not likely to see much faster performance, if that's what you're looking for.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: RAM Upgrade
              Ted Smith Level 3

XP is fine

It depends on what model Dell Optiplex you have and how old it is. It if came with only 2gb then it probably is a Core Duo

There is a vast difference of types in the Optiplex range. Best is the i7.

Yes 4gb makes a big difference to PE9 because the program takes about 2 gb when running leaving nothing for the system so it has to continually use temporary disk space making it horrible, slow and jerky to preview edited video.

Once you have 4gb the biggest improvement is to use 3 hard disks as suggested. You can buy 500db internal disks for about $40 each and you just screw them in position and plug them in in 5 minutes.

No good getting the disks unless you add memory first.

I have an old Core duo computer with 4gb and 3 disks and PE9 edits HD quite well and SD without a hitch. The only drawback it takes a very long time to 'render' a long project - I usually leave it and go to bed!

• 4. Re: RAM Upgrade
                Ted Smith Level 3

Also the video may not be very fast, particularly if it is on the motherboard and 'steals' some of the system RAM. This usually means it takes more time to redraw the timeline every time you change to another position or zoom in on a clip.

Irrespective of how fast your motherboard is, it can be worthwhile getting a moderately fast video 'gaming' card (around $100) that has it's own on-board processor and RAM leaving the motherboard for PE.

Being very demanding, PE is known to crash with certain combinations of hardward that  are not sufficient or set up and optimised properly so if this happens  regularly you need to consider these factors.

• 5. Re: RAM Upgrade
                  likemovies Level 1

Thank you for these reponses!

Is there a reference or link on the setup and advantages of multiple hard drives? I don't quite understand it, or how to set it up. I'd love to understand this.

• 6. Re: RAM Upgrade

Re-read what I said about my hard drives in my 1st reply

The idea is to SPREAD THE WORKLOAD across several drives

• 7. Re: RAM Upgrade
                      likemovies Level 1

Thanks John,

Is spreading the workload more efficient for the PC, or is the benefit more disaster prevention? Also, in your response, just to clarify:

HD 1: OS and ALL program files (not just PrE)

HD 2: What is a swap file?

HD 3: What specifically do you mean read and write files? Only pertaining to video or all data e.g. "My Documents".

Sorry for this lack of basic understanding, but I'm getting there. Appreciate the help. skim

• 8. Re: RAM Upgrade

John's is a very efficient way to work, but it may be a little more than you'll need for most consumer video editing.

I recommend:

1) a C drive for your programs.

2) a second or external hard drive (formatted NTFS) for your project and media files. (Make sure to create a new folder every time you start a new project so that all of your project's files stay together.) As long as your two hard drives are properly configured and you have Premiere Elements' scratch disk files (under Edit/Preferences) set to Same as Project, you should get optimal performance from your PC.

That is assuming that you have adequate computer power (a dual-core Intel processor for standard video or an i7 or quad core processor for hi-def and AVCHD). If you're running, for instance, a Pentium or slower, no configuration of RAM or drives will give you enough power to work with this program.

• 9. Re: RAM Upgrade
                          likemovies Level 1

Thanks Steve. Are there any references you can point me to in your book (I have the combo PS/PrE) so I can learn more?

• 10. Re: RAM Upgrade

In the combined version 9 book, you should check out the appendix on page 347.

And thanks for supporting the book, likemovies!

• 11. Re: RAM Upgrade

likemovies wrote:

Thanks John,

Is spreading the workload more efficient for the PC, or is the benefit more disaster prevention? Also, in your response, just to clarify:

HD 1: OS and ALL program files (not just PrE)

HD 2: What is a swap file?

HD 3: What specifically do you mean read and write files? Only pertaining to video or all data e.g. "My Documents".

Sorry for this lack of basic understanding, but I'm getting there. Appreciate the help. skim

Spread the workload so the ONE set of read/write heads on a hard drive is not trying to do more than 1 thing at a time... as I described in my 1st reply

Yes, Operating System and ALL programs

Google Windows swap file or windows page file... this is a "virtual memory" file created by Windows, and your computer will be faster overall to have this on the 2nd drive, as I do

Video files only... some people even have 4 drives with original "read" files and end result "write" files on different drives

For Windows help (as in setting your swap file location) search at

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US