7 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 7:17 PM by Ned Murphy

Replicating Handwriting: how?

Mettaphorica

Hi all

I am new to Flash, and am creating my first banner. I have handwriting jpgs that I want to use as part of my animation. How can I get these into Flash?I played with the  "Trace" tool, (though I don't really know how to use it) but the replica was terrible. All help appreciated.

thanks

cheers

Donna

• 1. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to bring the jpegs into Flash, just import them using the File -> Import option in the toolbar.  If the images are a series and are named numerically (img1.jpg, img2.jpg,img3.jpg, etc) it will normally recognize this and ask if you want to import the set.

• 2. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?
            Mettaphorica Level 1

Hi

Thanks for that. Am having a problem with it, though. Flash is saying it's unable to import because of a problem reading them. That's all it says.  I've tried a couple of them, and they all have the same message. Should I convert the files to another format and try again? (theyre also only small, about 110kb, so it's not like they're over sized). Any other solutions?

thanks again

cheers

Donna

• 3. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?

If you want to have the effect of handwriting, then a couple of ways to do it involve either

-  frame by frame animation, where each frame you add a portion of the text (easiest to do working backwards, removing a bit in each frame, then reverse the frames).  This pretty much requires that you have to be able to write the text on the stage in Flash with your mouse.

- tweening masks/covers to gradually expose the writing.  This approach will work with either an image or a mouse-written graphic.  But it can get a bit tricky at times, requiring several layers to manage some of the turns, like letters that require crossing over themselves (e's, t's, etc)

• 4. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?
                Mettaphorica Level 1

Hi Ned

Perhaps I should specify. I don't actually need the text to be "writing" itself..I'm moving it in and out from the side as a whole paragraph (or sentence).  The important thing is that the text is true to the original handwriting, (each piece of handwriting is different) hence my question about the tracing tool.  So I have jpegs of a few paragraphs for each person. (and it won't open them, darn it). I will keep your advice in mind for when I do want to do a writing effect.

Incidentally, can  I import an animation I created in a new project into my existing one? (I was experimenting and didn't want to risk ruining all the work I have done so far). I suppose I should have just created some experimental layers, but I didn't....I created a whole new animation. Is there any way I can now move it into my existing one?

thanks again, your answers are really helpful

cheers

Donna

• 5. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?

The only way to replicate handwriting beyond using the images that already do that is to use the mouse and draw it out.  If you are dealing with paragraphs of text, I'd have given up on that approach before I even tried.  Your jpegs are probably not saved in a true jpeg format or are otherwise corrupted.  Try saving them as some other image format or take a screenshot and crop/save that as a jpeg.

To get an animation in from another file you can either copy the symbol in the library, if you created it as a symbol, and paste that into your other library.  Or you can copy the frames of its timeline into a movieclip/timeline in the other file - to copy/paste frames you can select the frame and right click the selection to bring up a menu to copy/paste.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?
                    Mettaphorica Level 1

Fantastic answers, thank you!

cheers

Donna

• 7. Re: Replicating Handwriting: how?

You're welcome Donna