13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 8:58 AM by Chunick

Director 11.5 issue

abcjason
      Downloaded the trial version of director 11.5, but am unable to select the checkboxes to create either MAC or Windows projecters.
      The people at Adobe assured be that the trial version was fully functional.
      ANy ideas why I can't create projectors?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Director 11.5 issue
          wesleycorgi2
          I think they are being slightly misleading. After using the trial for a few days, I just purchased the 11.5 upgrade and I can now create all the projector types. However, I believe I was able to do everything else, but only able to publish shockwave.
          • 2. Director 11.5 issue
            wesleycorgi2 Level 1
            I think this was true in the MX2004 version as well (not being able to publish all the projectors in the trial version).
            • 3. Re: Director 11.5 issue
              Level 7
              > Downloaded the trial version of director 11.5
              > ANy ideas why I can't create projectors?

You haven't been able to create projectors from trials for a few
              versions now. That hasn't changed with 11.5
              • 4. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                RickCurran
                I think this is pretty lame not allowing publishing of projectors. It would be very easy to limit this by watermarking everything that's published.

Without being able to create projectors I just can't be sure that it's worth upgrading to 11.5, I need to test that the Xtras I want to use are going to function correctly.

Given Director's lack of popularity I think there is a real imperative to offer a decent trial for those like myself coming back to see what it's like.

I've got one or two applications I would consider updating but without being able to publish a projector I'm left with taking a $300 gamble. I don't think I'm willing to do so at this point in time.
                • 5. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                  Level 7
                  > I think this is pretty lame not allowing publishing of projectors. It would be
                  > very easy to limit this by watermarking everything that's published.

This is the way it used to work, at least with D7

> Without being able to create projectors I just can't be sure that it's worth
                  > upgrading to 11.5, I need to test that the Xtras I want to use are going to
                  > function correctly.

You can probably grab the Projec32.skl file, place it where you want
                  your projector, rename it to {projectorname}.exe and add an ini file
                  with the section:
                  [movies]
                  Movie01=the_name_of_your_director_movie

and test that - with an external xtras folder (with libraries) in place
                  also.
                  • 6. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                    Level 7
                    Hi,

Sean has given a good answer already. I'll just add a little more.

Director 10 (MX 2004) did allow trial versions to create a projector. Before the
                    projector would start, you'd get a splash screen saying 'Not for commercial use'
                    or something along those lines. In DCRs, you'd get a watermark 'Director Trial'
                    over the bottom left corner of the stage.

Director 11 disabled the functionality of projector creation through the trial
                    version. You have the watermark for DCRs as before.

D11.5 is the same as D11.

I don't think it is smart to disable projector creation and have communicated
                    this to Adobe. However, as Sean mentioned, you could create or download, a stub
                    projector that will allow you to test the projector with your D11.5 files.

regards
                    Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                    http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                    email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 7. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                      RickCurran Level 1
                      Thanks Sean / Dean,
                      Yep, I'd thought that previously demo projectors could be published with the trial versions. It would be really good for Adobe to make it a fully functioning trial version, it's a backwards step not to allow this. Especially as all it takes is to find a stub projector to make the files work anyway, the restriction isn't really working if it's aimed to prevent unlicensed use.

It's frustrating as I really need to see if performance with my projects is good enough on Leopard and Vista systems to see whether it's worth upgrading to 11.5, the trial projector would at least allow me to do that.

Cheers,

Rick
                      • 8. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                        Hi all.

Can D11.5 projectors be codesigned without the projector crashing as in MX2004?

Running in trial mode, so I can't test this myself.

Thanks,
                        Lingo Larry

P.S. Congrats to Director dev team on the 11.5 release.
                        • 9. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                          Level 1
                          Thanks to Sean for the build-your-own D11.5 stub technique above. I used that, then code signed the projector, and tested it on Vista and XP. The answer to my question is, yes, it appears the crashes of MX2004 projectors after code signing has been fixed. Looks very likely now I'll do the upgrade.

Thx
                          Lingo Larry
                          • 10. Director 11.5 issue
                            Chunick Level 3
                            The code signing issues have not been fixed. How do I know this? Because I developed the Resource and Icon Editor utility for Director: http://collab.directorforum.com/Resource_and_Icon_Editor

I had a few hurdles to overcome, one of them being the ability to add a custom Vista icon (properly PNG compressed for the 256x256 icon size)... what does this mean? In figuring out a solution I realized two things:
                            1) When you publish your project code is compiled and the media assets compressed and all that information is appended to the end of the projec32.skl file.
                            2) The projec32.skl file is mainly just a resource file, but it also contains a reference or offset value that is written to the resources and used when the compiled projector is run to jump somewhere in the beginning of the appended data (all of this is proprietary so this is my best guess based off my observations).

This method that's been used with Director is not typical and signing software either makes changes to the resource, thus messing up this 'offset value' or, like resource editors, it rips off the data at the end of the resource and discards it as part of it's writing process to the registry. That's why everyone sees that error message.

I'm guessing that you digitally signed the projec32.skl file. Sean's method is a well known one. The projec32.skl file is the core of a compiled project... it's an .exe, in fact. It will run on it's own, but not do much without an .ini file to tell it what movie to load... all that info gets compiled into your single file projector when published.
                            • 11. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                              Level 1
                              Thanks for the correction. My test projector was a minimal movie with no custom icons or secondary movies. The projector was not created within Director 11.5's publish routine, so if I follow what you are saying, what I code signed was an incomplete projector. It was able to load repeatedly on a Vista Home PC without any crashes. (So maybe I left out the bugs. Wish I could do that more often.)

Is there any solution in sight for those of us who would like to code sign our work?

Thanks,
                              LL
                              • 12. Re: Director 11.5 issue

I´ve also was interested to test Director 11.5  and what happen? It overwrite my sharp version with a trial! This is a crime, Adobe has stolen my licens or I hope that there are some solution on this?

I also have a big problem with a shockwavefile (large one 6mb) when I try to import this I get an errormessage "A fatal error has occured Director will quit now"  Anyone having any suggestions on this? A smaller version of the file (4mb) worked fine in Director 11.00

• 13. Re: Director 11.5 issue
                                  Chunick Level 3

tbodine05 wrote:

Thanks for the correction. My test projector was a minimal movie with no custom icons or secondary movies. The projector was not created within Director 11.5's publish routine, so if I follow what you are saying, what I code signed was an incomplete projector. It was able to load repeatedly on a Vista Home PC without any crashes. (So maybe I left out the bugs. Wish I could do that more often.)

Is there any solution in sight for those of us who would like to code sign our work?

Thanks,
                                  LL

What you signed was the .skl file which was changed to a .exe because that's what it is... it's the core file needed to create your projector when you publish your project. So, by signing that you're not actually signing your unique projector that's created during the publishing process, but instead just the projec32.skl file that you renamed to <your_project_name>.exe and created an .ini to launch your actual project file.

I'm not sure if by signing the renamed .skl file it breaks the signing process from a theoretical security point-of-view or if there are actual, real implications since if I signed the same file, but just renamed it as you have done, then what really is the difference between the two since they contain the exact same bits?