2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 1:14 PM by the_wine_snob

.3gp import audio is delayed

dubyada

Importing .3gp video file from an HTC Inspire phone.  In the timeline preview and in the "get media" preview window, the sound is synced with video for a few seconds but becomes more and more delayed from the video.  Just 15 seconds into the video the sound is significantly off and gets worse as the video plays.

I presume that the audio sample rate is the problem then.  The .3gp file according to windows is recorded at 63kbps bit rate, 44  kHz mono.  I noticed that all of the projects provided by Adobe Premiere  Elements for Windows 9.0.1 are 48 kHz.  There are no projects settings to choose from that do not have 48kHz.

When I create a new project, say with the preset "Standard 48kHz" project, in Project Settings, the sample rate drop down box is grayed out and set to 48 kHz.

In the video importer for "flip/AVCHD/Cameras and phones" there are no capture settings or anywhere to change the audio sample rate.

What's the solution here?

• 1. Re: .3gp import audio is delayed
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, despite Adobe's claim to the contrary, the program almost never works well with cell phone video.

You don't say what settings you used when you started your Premiere Elements project, but that could make some difference. Start a new project and use the settings for Flip video (standard definition). This is about as close as you can get to settings for this type of video.

It also could help to ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com.

But this type of video, for the most part, just doesn't edit well with the program. Sorry.

You can also check in with Adobe Tech Support to see if they have a solution.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: .3gp import audio is delayed
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The 44.1KHz Sample-Rate should not be an issue, as PrE must Conform the Audio stream to 32-bit, floating point for editing, and can handle 44.1KHz easily. What I did not see was the Bit-Depth, and 16-bit is the standard, but some devices choose 12-bit, or even 8-bit. This ARTICLE will give more background on Conforming, the generation of PEK (Waveform Display) files, and also Indexing for various flavors of MPEG.

For OOS issues, this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Now, and as Steve says, telephone footage can be highly problematical.

Good luck,

Hunt