2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 7:13 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Having Trouble Exporting .mov files

Dominique Homza

Hi, I've been trying to export a lossless quality .mov file of a presentation I shot a couple weeks ago. It's about 3.5 hours long and is being an absolute pain. It takes over 8 hours for it to export the quicktime animation file, and then it ends up being around 250gb which is way way wayy to big! The files I put into the timeline only add up to 21 gb, why is it doing this? Even when I used an h.264 codec, the file is still around 100gb and it took 12 hours to encode!! Can somebody please help me with this? I need to get this footage to the company I shot for. Thanks!

Export settings

Quicktime Animation

Quality 100, 1280x720, 29.97 fps, progressive

• 1. Re: Having Trouble Exporting .mov files
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> and then it ends up being around 250gb which is way way wayy to big! The files I put into the timeline only add up to 21 gb, why is it doing this?

Losslessly compressed files are huge. That is an unavoidable fact. 250GB is an unsurprsing size for a 3-hour movie that is losslessly compressed. The fact that your input files were 21GB has nothing to do with it. Those files were heavily compressed.

What is your client asking from you? It seems unlikely that they're asking for losslessly compressed file for delivery. Are they asking for something for playback? What are their delivery specifications?

• 2. Re: Having Trouble Exporting .mov files
            Dominique Homza Level 1

They just need the files in HD format. There were two videographers that they needed to put files on an external hard drive they sent to us. I'm not doing the editing, they have someone in house for that. What settings would you recommend for quicktime? That's all they specified, that'd it be in .mov