31 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 12:16 PM by Bill Gehrke

Very sluggish timeline response with avchd & 990x + 24G RAM+ 580gtx?

Anthony Freeman 99

Hi All,

Following months of research and now recently purchasing the components , I have just built the following spec machine to edit AVCHD. 990x + 24G Corsair dominator RAM + 10K velociraptor OS drive + asus rampage 3 extreme + 6 x1T 7200 rpm Seagate barracudas (that were meant to be in raid 5 but I just cant get the software RAID to operate).

I have imported about an hour of avchd footage onto the timeline and when I click in different places  on the timeline the video preview takes close to a second to update. When I scrub the timeline its just not clean and seems to be laboring.

When I did the same test with DV footage captured from my PD170 the system is perfectly responsive.

I set up the drives as C: OS + CS5

6 x 1T sata 7200rpm seagate barracudas, and I have set Video previews, Audio previews, Footage, Project file, etc each to its own clean separate drive.

This is a brand new clean system with only windows 7 and purchased version of CS5.5 installed.

A) Please can someone help me work through this AVCHD response issue?

B) Would it help the timeline response to get the software RAID 5 up and running on the 6 x 1T 7200 rpm drives? if so please help with guidence on this becuase whenever I have tried to set up the array in the BIOS, when I boot into windows 7 it wants to initialise the disk.

Raid Volume has failed.PNGvolume initialization in progress 2.PNG

After a few hours one of the disks come up as failed. ( I have tried replacing with new drives, but the process repeats itself)

My goal is that I really need to be able to edit AVCHD footage with near instant timeline response. 

Thanks very much

Kind regards

Anthony Freeman

www.freemanproductions.co.za