5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 7:08 AM by the_wine_snob

New to Forum, Example video Edited in Premiere Elements

Kris_Kasprzak

All,

I'm new to this forum, hopefully i can give as much as i recieve.

I took some video and made a short YouTube clip of a local band playing a very cool original song. Shot with a Canon 7D and a variety of 2.8 or faster lenses, edited in Premiere Elements. The audio track came from a CD, all footage was shot live.

1. Editing HD footage was painfully slow, so not a good alignment between audio and video in some areas. Is "real-time" editing possible or am I asking too much?

2. 6 hours of editing and not one crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtXsyOdMSA

Kris

• 1. Re: New to Forum, Example video Edited in Premiere Elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Real time editing is certainly available if you've got your project set up properly. Which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

If you've selected the ideal settings, you should not see  a red line above your clips when you add them to your timeline (until you add effects to them). Is that the case?

Much also depends on your computer specs and operating system. For that footage, you'd do best with a quad core or i7 processor running Windows 7 32-bit. How does that compare to your system?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Forum, Example video Edited in Premiere Elements
            Kris_Kasprzak Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback!

I've got a dual core AMD 4 GB ram, Win7 64 bit. My graphics card is low end, but have tried and FX580--not much better. I'll be trying other graphics cards, and once again the FX580. I'm happy to supply better machine stats, and project settings,

The sample video here was made from 10 or so separate 1920 x 1080 30 fps MOV files less that 1 GB each. The MOV came right out of my Canon 7D. Note I never see a red line above clips unless I've applied some effects.

Things that run very slowly

1. panning the time line (drag the slider at the bottom of the timeline), can take several seconds for the timeline to move--very slow. I typically have the attributes for each track minimized (to not display anything) in an attempt to boost display speed.

2. when editing a movie and just hitting the "play" button on the preview window--nasty slow. the first few frames sync with the audio but after say 5 sec of playing. the video tends to stop but or get very jerky.

3. double click a movie clip (which launches a separate window), play the movie in that window, again very slow choppy graphics.

I've got to believe it's user error. Adobe Premiere (previous versions) have always been fine--performance is so bad, other's would be screaming.

Again, thanks for chiming in.

• 3. Re: New to Forum, Example video Edited in Premiere Elements
              Kris_Kasprzak Level 1

Chatting more with others....

the MOV from my Canon 7D is not optimal for editing.

I've got ways of transcoding to other formats, question is, what's the best editing format for Adobe Elements 9?

I think this will fix my performance issue.

• 4. Re: New to Forum, Example video Edited in Premiere Elements
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVCHD video editing is very intensive. In my books, I recommend at least a quad core Intel or i7 processor to work with it. I'm afraid a dual-core processor just isn't going to have the power to handle it. A new graphics card won't make any difference, unfortunately. The power is needed at the processor level.

About the only real remedy for our slow performance, aside from getting a new computer, is to convert all of your AVCHD footage to HDV footage before you bring it into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum. It's still going to take a long time to render your work -- but at least editing won't be quite the slog.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

• 5. Re: New to Forum, Example video Edited in Premiere Elements
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Canon produces MOV wrappers with the H.264 CODEC inside. Just like AVCHD, that material is heavily compressed, and requires extreme CPU horsepower to edit smoothly. As Steve mentions, a Quad-core CPU, and a fast one, is about the minimum. Many (myself included) recommend a fast i7 in the 9xx family, to edit it easily. The installed RAM and the I/O Sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, play a roll too, but with H.264, of any flavor, the CPU is the weak link in the editing chain. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the necessary computer elements, and especially for H.264 material. Harm Millaard, the author, was focusing on PrPro CS5/CS5.5, so the comments on a CUDA-enabled video card will not apply to PrE, as it does not yet contain the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine), and does not use the CUDA capability in certain nVidia cards. Still, everything else applies to PrE, and to PrPro.

Also, when syncing to Audio, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck, and thank you for sharing. Welcome to the forum!

Hunt