7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 1:04 PM by Ned Murphy

Button Help

Jmac3020

I am in the process of making a animated button. My problem is that I need the button to run a scene on the click. The only way I can get the scene to play is by holding the click, this does not work for me and I assume there is some actionscript behind the solution. If anyone has any soultions that would be great.

• 1. Re: Button Help
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There may be a solution, but I am not able to understand what the problem/goal is with the description you've provided.  If the problem is that you have an animation in the Down frame of a button symbol, then what you will need to do is to use a movieclip instead.  You cannot sustain the Down state of a button symbol without sustaining the down interaction (you could with AS3, but it gets to be a juggling game that is easier to solve using a movieclip)

• 2. Re: Button Help
            Jmac3020 Level 1

I have it set up as a movie clip on the down state, but I want to run a scene when it is clicked. Does that make it any more clear?

thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Button Help

No, that doesn't clear things up.  Why can't you have it run the scene when it gets clicked?  What code are you using that is not working?  I don't get the connection between "holding the click" and clicking the button... I figured "holding the click" is actually keeping the mouse pressed down on the button..

• 4. Re: Button Help
                Jmac3020 Level 1

I'm not using any code and you are right holding the click is actually pressing the mouse down. What I'm asking is what you said "Why can't you have it run the scene when it gets clicked?"

• 5. Re: Button Help

What scene are you talking about?  What version of Actionscript is yor file using?

• 6. Re: Button Help
                    Jmac3020 Level 1

I built a scene in the down state and it is in Action Script 3

• 7. Re: Button Help

It looks like we're back to my first reply.  You need to create your button as a movieclip symbol, not a button symbol.  You cannot make a button stay in any active frame without interacting continuously with it, but you can do that with a movieclip.