5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 7:32 AM by Steve Grisetti

Why only audio and no video with Premier Elements 8?

zzaazzaazzaazz

Windows 7,  8GB Ram, 700 remaining HD space,1Gb NVidea card

I capture video from a Sony TRV25 mini DV to Premier Elements 8 using a firewire connection and saving the captured video as avi files. When I bring the files in to Sceneline and press Play I only get the audio, the video part appears to be frozen at the first frame. When I stop the playback the frame changes to the one at the stop point. I have uninstalled and re-installed Premier Elements but the result is the same. When I go into Timeline and use the mouse to move the red marker line along the time scale the video plays fine but freezes again when I play it using the forward arrow on the viewing screen rather than the mouse. Does anyone know the solution to this problem?

Al

encore@rogers.com

• 1. Re: Why only audio and no video with Premier Elements 8?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com? As the program indicates, this is required for any video editing.

Also, did you capture your video with Premiere Elements or with some other program?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you set it up for DV video?

• 2. Re: Why only audio and no video with Premier Elements 8?
            zzaazzaazzaazz Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

Yes today I downloaded latest version of Quicktime and that is now installed on my computer. And yes I capture my videos with Premier Elements 8 by

pressing "Get Media" then chosing "DV Camcorder". During the capture the audio and video can be seen in the capture window without any problem. But when the resulting file is brought to the sceneline the problem starts.

As an aside I went ahead and burned a CD in spite of not being able to view the video in the program, and it turned out fine Also the avi files play fine with Windows media player. But I need to solve this problem if want to continue to use Adobe premier Elements.

Al

• 3. Re: Why only audio and no video with Premier Elements 8?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what's going on.

You can try right-clicking on your Monitor and selecting Playback Settings and switching some of those options around to see if they make a difference. I think it goes without saying that you should go to the nVidia web site and ensure you have the latest drivers for your video card. And certainly go to Help menu in Premiere Elements and Check for Updates to ensure you have the version 8 patch.

But, if all that doesn't work, I'd recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support. Your problem is likely too deep for us to troubleshoot it on this forum.

• 4. Re: Why only audio and no video with Premier Elements 8?
                zzaazzaazzaazz Level 1

Again many thanks for your reply. I downloaded the latest driver for NVidia

GT220 but to no avail.

Then started going through some of the options in Premier Elements. First of

went to the Organize section and brought up my video - of course there was

only audio, no video on playing. Right-clicked on the video display window

and chose "Playback Settings" and the settings window came up. The box

labelled 'Desktop Video Display During Display" was checked and "External

Device" had DV:29.97 720x480i listed. The other choice was "None". I changed

it to "None" and went back to play the video. The video played as it

should - audio and motion. So we live and learn although I'm not sure I

really understand what is going on even after reading what the Help files

had to say about Playback Settings options. Nevertheless thank you again for

taking the time to help in this matter.

Al