11 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 7:39 AM by RJPeasley

How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?

RJPeasley

I have been trying to use Premier to produce videos for our church's kids programs since Christmas.  They look great until I burn them to DVD and then they look grainy or fuzzy.  Might as well use an old SD camera.  I just started searching the forums but the one article that looked like it would help only showed what to do with Premier Pro, using features that are apparently unavailable with Premier Elements.

• 1. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how are you getting it into your computer?

Which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project? If you've selected the correct project settings for your video, you will not see  a red line above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case?

Finally, which version of Premiere Elements are you using and which operating system are you running it on?

BTW, DVDs are, by nature, standard definition not high-definition -- so it makes no difference if you're shooting your original video in HD or SD. You're still just getting standard def video.

• 2. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
            RJPeasley Level 1

I actually have three different cameras used in the project.  Two of the cameras were set to 720p I believe and one was SD.  When I imported, Premier asked to change the settings to match and so I allowed it.  I imported the HD first, so the settings match the HD clips.  I don't see any redlines above the video.

I am using Elements 9 with Vista. 

I did find that the tutorial was helpful.  Elements can do the things that Pro can, but is set up different so, when I couldn't follow the tutorial because they set the program interfaces up differently.  After I figured that out, it seemed to work pretty well.  Still working on it.

There is a benefit to using an HD camera even when the final product is in SD.  The final product seems to be much sharper/cleaner.  Of course I am comparing an old Sony DV SD camcorder to a new Sony HD camera.

Randy

Po Box 466

Sault Sainte Marie MI 49783

906-630-5845

For God so loved the world . . .

• 3. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?

I'm not clear if you're saying we've resolved your problems or not.

But without the answers to the questions in my earlier post, I can't offer any more specific advice.

I do, however, highly recommend AGAINST mixing two or more video formats in the same video project. It nearly always leads to problems later in your work.

But if you're happy with the results, that's all that matters. Happy moviemaking!

• 4. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Randy,

Welcome to the forum.

By "tutorial", do you mean Jeff Bellune's HD to SD TUTORIAL?

As Steve mentions, DVD, by definition, is SD materaial. When starting with HD, a DVD will never look as good as the original footage, because it has been down-rezed to 720 x 480 (NTSC). Now, when viewed on a CRT TV, it still looks quite good. If one is using an up-rezzing BD (or DVD) player, and feeding to an HD TV, it will look even better, than on an older DVD player, hooked to a CRT TV. The internal up-rezzing chips in those newer players are amazing, but one is STILL working from SD material on that DVD.

If one has matched their Project's Preset to the HD footage, and then they use the steps in Jeff's tutorial, that is about as good as it can ever get.

By shooting HD, even if going to SD and to a DVD, the HD material will still be available, should one later do a BD from that Project.

Thanks for the answers to Steve's questions, and hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                  RJPeasley Level 1

I think my problem is resolved but won't know for sure until phase two is complete.  Sorry I didn't answer the questions properly.  I'll try again if phase two doesn't work. 

Your advice about not mixing formats is wise because that has been a source of conflict.  Sometimes it can't be helped though.

• 6. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                    RJPeasley Level 1

Bill,

Yes.  It was Jeff Bellune's tutorial.  I am using the 720p24 section and have finished phase 1 and it seems to have worked, but still have to go through phase 2.  Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for your assistance. 

BTW - is there anything in the Elements Help that address the issue?  I looked but didn't find anything.  Seems like that would be something they would qualify for a help manual, especially for novices like myself.

• 7. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For someone starting out with PrE, there are many great resources. Some are outlined in this ARTICLE. I highly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training, his Learning Series, and then his books.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                        Robert J. Johnston Level 2

You'll need to add the Sharpen effect to each of your 720p clips on the timeline.

Besides downscaling, the pixel aspect ratio is also changing from a nice square pixel aspect ratio to a 1.2 aspect ratio. This will lead to "blurring." That is why you need the Sharpen effect. In PrE9 the Sharpen effect defaults to a value of 10. Don't change it.

The Sharpen effect will increase the time to render your movie to DVD.

• 9. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                          RJPeasley Level 1

Steve,

Well, phase two did not work.  The video was moving 2x faster than the audio.  So let me attempt to give you the info you requested before.

I used two point and shoot cameras - Sony TX-7 and Sony H-55 (I think those are the correct model names - they were borrowed), and I used a couple SD video cameras via an old Videonics MX-1 digital mixer, and an .mpg video clip.

The project settings (Premier reset when I added the first Sony video file):  HDV 1080i  29.97 fps (1440x1080)   Pixel ratio HD anamorphic 1080(1.333)

The sony camera files I transferred to my computer via their memory cards.  The video from the Videonics mixer was burned directly to disc in standard DVD format.  I use Tsunami DVD authoring 4 to get the files off the DVD and then use TMPGEnc 3 xpress to change it to .mpg format to get it into Elements

I am using Elements 9 on a Vista machine

So what do you suggest I do?

• 10. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?

Well, you've got a number of things going on there, RJ. So it's likely going to take a lot of time and effort to make this project work.

For one thing, you've got several video formats mixing in the same project, which is a sure recipe for disaster in Premiere Elements.

The video from your Sony Cybershot is apparently AVCHD -- though I can't find any specs for the camera online so I can't make any specific recommendations on working with it.

Your Sony H55 shoots in a variety of formats, including non-AVCHD MP4 1280x720p, which is usually not compatible with Premiere Elements. (Do not shoot any of your video in 24p, by the way. You'll only further complicate the issue. Stick to traditional formats like ~30 fps and 60i.)

And I can find no information on the type of video that Videonics mixing board is creating. (It's a pre-non-linear editing device, and was not made to interface with a computer.) But converting it to an MPEG will likely only make it less compatible, in this particular case.

But in any case, you should NOT be using the HDV project settings for this project, since none of these devices is producing tape-based HDV video.

So I'm not sure where to begin. Whether you should try to get the program working with one particular format and then hybrid the others, or if you should try to figure out a way to convert all of these videos to a common format.

To convert them to a common format:

1) Open an AVCHD project for your Cybershot video. You'll have to check your cam's specs to know which of the available project presets you should use. Then place your Cybershot video on your timeline and use Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset to output your video as DV-AVIs. (Since you ultimately want to create a standard def project.)

2) Open a new project with the AVCHD Lite (1280x720) project setting, and then place your H55 video on your timeline and use Share/Computer/AVI to output it as DV-AVIs.

3) I don't know what to do with the video from your mixer board, but ideally you want to output it as 720x480 DV-AVI video also.

Once you've got all of your video converted to DV-AVIs, you can open a new project using the DV project preset and mix the AVIs in it. The video you output from it should look great and make a very clean DVD.

But, unfortunately, it's going to take a pretty complicated workflow to get you there. Sorry.

• 11. Re: How do I get a HD video project to look good in SD?
                              RJPeasley Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I may have given the wrong info.  I just posted again with correct info of my project.  Not sure if that changes the advice you gave yesterday?

Randy

Po Box 466

Sault Sainte Marie MI 49783

906-630-5845

For God so loved the world . . .