9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2006 3:55 PM by Newsgroup_User

Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.

karaelise
      I am new to dreamweaver, was having trouble setting up my ftp. i thought i'd remove the site that was in a constant connect to server cycle and set up a new site with my files. but now all of the files associated with the site are completely gone from my computer. they aren't in the trash or anything. the dreamweaver help window says it will remove the site but not the files. so i don't know what happened. any ideas? have i lost my website forever?
      thanks.
        • 1. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
          Level 7
          about the only way this could happen would be if the files were never on
          your computer.

did you use a live ftp connection to edit the files on the server, without
          creating a Local Site Folder?

Even then, afaik- the files are still on the remote server.
          Define a regular FTP connect to the remote hosting and see if they are
          there.

• 2. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
            Level 7
            If your original site was set up as an FTP site, then your files are still
            'there', but "there" is on the server rather than your local site.

Create a new site as a SITE not as an FTP / RDS site. Define a local site,
            and enter your FTP info. Then connect to the remote site - I'll bet you
            find your files there.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"karaelise" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ebtth3$c9t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I am new to dreamweaver, was having trouble setting up my ftp. i thought
            >i'd
            > remove the site that was in a constant connect to server cycle and set up
            > a new
            > site with my files. but now all of the files associated with the site are
            > completely gone from my computer. they aren't in the trash or anything.
            > the
            > dreamweaver help window says it will remove the site but not the files. so
            > i
            > don't know what happened. any ideas? have i lost my website forever?
            > thanks.
            >

• 3. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
              karaelise Level 1
              My site was set up as a local site. I built the thing on my computer and bought my domain name after. I was trying to make the ftp connection to upload the files and it kept cycling between a "server not responding" "waiting for server" window and a "retreiving remote folder" that would then go back to the first window even after i hit cancel. I decided to delete the site assuming I could set it up again from scratch. I removed it from the site manager window and went to create a new site and but all the folders were gone! no where to be found. not in the trash or anything. I don't think I ever uploaded any of my files to the server. I didn't get that far. any thoughts?
              • 4. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
                Level 7
                do a search or find for some exact filename you can remember- perhaps an
                image filename.

• 5. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
                  karaelise Level 1
                  I've tried folder names, page names, image names. nothing comes up at all.
                  • 6. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
                    Level 7
                    Do you remember to what folder where you defined the "Local Site folder"??

Where you were putting or copying the files to, to work with them??

is that folder on the hard drive...

> I've tried folder names, page names, image names. nothing comes up at all.

• 7. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
                      karaelise Level 1
                      I have a new computer without many files on it and I know exactly where my all my website folders were and there is a gaping hole there now. And searching doesn't reveal a mysterious transfer to some other folder on my computer. my file names were very simple and i remember all of them. and I looked through the file manager of my new domain and there is nothing there either. The only thing I can think is that somehow after I clicked done in the site manager, all the files were highlighted in the file panel and I hit delete completely without knowing it and DW deleted all those files associated with my site, including the image folder, my original image folder, video folder and web pages folder. no trash just gone. Oh the cruelty. But there is no way, no way, no way I deleted them accidentally from hard drive myself. Maybe mx 2004 hates the new intel mac thing? I'll just start over. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm going to try iWeb or BBEdit. DW broke my heart...
                      • 8. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
                        Level 7
                        Sorry to hear this has happened. As Murray & Alan have already
                        mentioned, this isn't a known issue, though I have seen one other
                        similar post on the forum.

Can you reproduce this problem with a test site? If you make a new
                        site definition, add some files/folders to it, and then delete the
                        site definition, does it delete the actual files/folders?

Please also see this FAQ about MacIntel support:

Support for Intel-based Macs
                        http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/intelmacsupport.pdf

DW MX 2004 hasn't been tested with MacIntel machines.

David Alcala
                        Adobe Product Support
                        • 9. Re: Help! Removed a site and all my files are gone.
                          Level 7
                          Unfortunately, when files are deleted from within the site manager, they
                          are just gone, not moved to the trashcan as some claim.

--
                          James M. Shook
                          http://www.jshook.com