21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 3:59 PM by Igor Valentovitch

Crash Crash Crash Crash

calebbaker Level 1

I understand the forum guide says not to post crash reports here but the link it gives is broken... PrPro cs5.5 will not stop crashing. Every time I do something.

• 1. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
          calebbaker Level 1

It's still crasing a few times an hour... It saves it each time but it's a hassle and time wasting. If anyone has any information or help or a bug fix update from adobe I would GREEAATLY appreciate it...

• 2. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
            calebbaker Level 1

And now it's getting serious... I can't finish my project, and I can't open it in CS5, and the only other way would be to start over in Cs5 which would be a loss of hours and hours worth of work... Any help or suggestions?

• 3. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
              Pharther Phurther Level 1

And here is a edited txt from my System Log after I had to Force Quit PP:

May 31 13:42:30 Mac-Pro aeselflink[468]: -[NSMenu menuID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1118005a0

May 31 13:42:48 Mac-Pro [0x0-0xb30b3].com.adobe.aerendercore[466]: You have at least one output module template that refers to a missing output plug-in.  Please check your Output Module Templates.

May 31 13:50:48 Mac-Pro [0x0-0x14014].com.adobe.QT32Server[174]: Adobe QT32 Server(174,0xa0a99540) malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error code=12)

May 31 13:50:48 Mac-Pro [0x0-0x14014].com.adobe.QT32Server[174]: *** error: can't allocate region

May 31 13:50:48 Mac-Pro [0x0-0x14014].com.adobe.QT32Server[174]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

May 31 13:50:48 Mac-Pro Adobe QT32 Server[174]: Adobe QT32 Server(174,0xa0a99540) malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error code=12)\n*** error: can't allocate region\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

• 4. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                funkbomb Level 1

If the forum guide says not to do it, then why do it? Crash reports do ZERO good to post here.

That said, welcome to my world. PPro crashes on me at least five times an hour. My advice is just accept it's unstable software.

• 5. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                  calebbaker Level 1

Then they need to fix the link to the "Crash Reporter" at the top of the page...

• 6. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

Keep me in your address book Cuz .. maybe we can push this through ..

• 7. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

Oh .. BTW : Mac Pro 12 Core Dual 2.9

• 8. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                        calebbaker Level 1

Yea Maybe... I'm trying the uninstall/reinstall right now seeing if that helps... Not much else I can do..

• 9. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

Good luck ..

• 10. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                            Jon Chappell Level 3

funkbomb wrote:

If the forum guide says not to do it, then why do it? Crash reports do ZERO good to post here.

I disagree. Crash reports are the only way to tell what's going on, otherwise it's just blind guesswork. However, you don't need to post the entire thing - just the top part and then the crashed thread should be enough.

6   ...be.HandlerProject.framework 0x00000001092c177a HandlerProject::

TimecodeColumn::GetDataAndMediaOffset(ASL::InterfaceR ef<BE::IProjectItem, BE::IProjectItem>, dvamediatypes::TickTime&, dvamediatypes::TickTime&) + 522

May 31 13:50:48 Koveleskis-Mac-Pro Adobe QT32 Server[174]: Adobe QT32  Server(174,0xa0a99540) malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error  code=12)\n*** error: can't allocate region\n*** set a breakpoint in  malloc_error_break to debug

The above lines would indicate that you may have a corrupt media or preview file. I would suggest you trash render files, reset your media cache and check for corrupt clips.
                            • 11. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

Thanks Jon .. the 'media' that got corrupted is nearly the same scenario than occurred in 5.0 .. which was along the way between PP and AE via Dynamic Link.

I think I now understand a little .. that XML file data is transfered between applications via "localhost" ports ...

Do you know this to be true?

When I toggle between PP and AE via DL ( Dynamic Link ) .. as a editor changing the finer details of effects, transitions, etc ..  is where it occurred.

I have may have similar issues .. whereas the execution of a command that uses localhost ports prior to the ports availability causes a kernal panic, crash, freeze, etc ..

Does this make sense?

I am trying to draft the problem for Apple Senior Tech .. and whomever at Adobe .. since the core of the problem may be deeper than understood.

Maybe that my 12 Core is too fast for the localhost port driver to address commands .. and this problem doesnt occur in 8 cores or less ..

• 12. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You need to contact Technical Support:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

• 13. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                  Jon Chappell Level 3

Pharther Phurther wrote:

Thanks Jon .. the 'media' that got corrupted is nearly the same scenario than occurred in 5.0 .. which was along the way between PP and AE via Dynamic Link.

I think I now understand a little .. that XML file data is transfered between applications via "localhost" ports ...

Do you know this to be true?

The only fast and reliable way of transferring large amounts of data between two running applications is through local sockets, so I assume this is what is being used. It sounds like some of this data is malformed.

Pharther Phurther wrote:

Maybe that my 12 Core is too fast for the localhost port driver to address commands .. and this problem doesnt occur in 8 cores or less ..

Your original post was deleted so I've forgotten the specific details of your setup, however if you upgraded from an older Mac Pro, the biggest change in the 2010 models is that they now boot in 64-bit mode by default. That may be a contributor to the issue.

• 14. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

I just have a new Mac Pro.

I have noticed that when returning to PP from AE certain effects render using only half of the processors ( 12 of the 24 hyperthreading ) which may be traced to the "32" bit graphic icon that corresponds in the table metadata. Others use all. I will half to pay closer attention to this. I'm not sure if there is a link.

Thank you for your insight.

• 15. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                      calebbaker Level 1

OMG! Thanks a bunch for your help... Cleaned stuff out and have been running great no problems since. I wish there was some way I could repay the favor...

• 16. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

Any tips?

Still having issues between PP and AE using dynamic link.

Adobe has yet to help me.

• 17. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                          calebbaker Level 1

No I haven't had any issues w/ Dynamic Link sorry. I just clened my cache out, deleted a bunch of stuff, and it all works for me now.

• 18. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                            Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Jon,

How did you manage to interpret the crash report?

I experience instability with my CS5 in different situations but I've never leatned where to locate those crash logs and how to interpret them.

Can you share where to search for the crash logs or what software to use to record them? My problem is that in most of the cases when the CS5 shows instability the PrPro simply freezes and the whole PC hangs - so, I need to execute a cold restart. Do you think under this circumstances a crash log will still be created?

Thanks a bunch.

Igor

• 19. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash

Igor .. I use a Mac. I would be glad to help if you are working from one.

• 20. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                                Jon Chappell Level 3

Igor, I can only read Mac crash logs. I'm not a Windows guy I'm afraid.

• 21. Re: Crash Crash Crash Crash
                                                  Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Thank you.

To the Windows 7 folks: do you know if Windows platform creates crash logs and where are they stored?

Or probably there is a software which does that?