5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 5:44 AM by stephenh44161733

after effects cs5 - frame rate mismatch wmv, flv, h264

stephenh44161733 Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to render my compositions at 20 fps as wmv. Its important that they stay 20fps and that they are an exact length of time.

Since upgrading to cs5 I've been unable to do so as After Effects can no longer render wmv files at 20fps. By default it renders wmv at 25 fps so my animations are now 20% too quick.

According to adobe this is an issue with cs5 and wmv, flv and h264. It mentions a workaround online which involves creating a new output module

please see link.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/852/cpsid_85260.html

When I follow this advice and create a new output module the problem is worse, they now render at 30fps so are now 50% too quick.

For rendering wmv I am getting round this by rendering as Quicktime though I have yet to find a codec that offers file size and quality benefits of wmv.

But my animations also have to be rendered as h264 for viewing on a mobile device. After Effects can no longer render h264 at 20fps and I cant find a way round it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Also if h264, wmv and flv are unconstrained formats why would Adobe constrain them to certain frame rates in CS5. Seems like a basic feature thats been around for years has been disabled.

I tried tech support but they just sent me a link explaining what a frame rate is.

thanks

s

• 1. Re: after effects cs5 - frame rate mismatch wmv, flv, h264
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Also if h264, wmv and flv are unconstrained formats why would Adobe constrain them to certain frame rates in CS5. Seems like a basic feature thats been around for years has been disabled.

You misunderstand completely. Adobe is not forcibly constraining them at whim, only specific sub-sets of these formats are constrained which Adobe is obeying, having to do with how these formats themselves provide oprtimized presets for playing back certain standard resolutions more efficiently plus, naturally, some things not working natively in a 64bit environment and Adobe having to work around that as well. For H.264 all the magic is in the MPEG profile levels - choose 5.1 and you're good to go and free to determine any custom resolution and framerate. For WMV, the trick is to simply choose the correct WMV version (9 or above) and manually override all the framerates in teh encoder panel. Very much the same applies to FLV. What you have in mind, should be perfectly doable you just need to understand some of the limitations of the formats thmeselves and magle them as needed.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: after effects cs5 - frame rate mismatch wmv, flv, h264
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want complete control of your highly compressed codecs open your After Effects project in Adobe Media encoder. Dynamic Link will open up and you can load your comps directly in the media encoder. You can then choose any format, frame size, or codec you want. This is the only way you can go directly from AE to a multi-pass render. You'll find that the quality is better and it will save you time.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: after effects cs5 - frame rate mismatch wmv, flv, h264
              stephenh44161733 Level 1

Thanks for reply Mylenium, much appreciated. I dont think I do mis understand completely however.

I understand some formats are constrained such as mpeg. And some wmv formats maybe constrained in some ways, but to quote Adobe online help

"In After Effects CS5, there is a known issue that causes WMV and FLV output frame rates to be constrained unnecessarily."

I have also found the same issue with H264 format.

the online help goes on to say

"By creating an output module template and applying this template to a render item, you bypass this bug."

Unfortunately in my experience creating an output module template does not bypass the bug, but it makes it worse.

The same projects worked fine and rendered correctly in CS3 as flv, h264 and wmv. The render issues occur in CS5. Like you say Adobe has the 64-bit environment to contend with.

When you say manually over ride the frame rates in the encoder panel I guess you  are referring to Adobe Media Encoder which is an option and maybe would give better quality results too.

thanks

s

• 4. Re: after effects cs5 - frame rate mismatch wmv, flv, h264
                stephenh44161733 Level 1

good idea Rick, I hadn't realised you can open After Effects projects in Adobe Media encoder. Like you say the quality will be better too, I'll give it a shot.

many thanks

• 5. Re: after effects cs5 - frame rate mismatch wmv, flv, h264
                  stephenh44161733 Level 1

Ooops I've dug out my old wmv files rendered from CS3 and it seems they also rendered at 25 fps, not 20fps, I just didnt notice. How embarrassing, I appear to have been spouting nonsense.

Apologies one and all, . .  can u pass me that humble pie please . . mmmm, yummy

s