11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 5:48 PM by mstanleyg

PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files

mstanleyg Level 1

General Problem:

I have a 110 files (42GB) of HD720 (30fps) video taken with a Canon Sx 30 Point & Shoot Camera from which I would like to create multiple DVD's.  My first attempt began with a timeline of nearly two hours that consisted of 20GB (70 .mov) file.  CPU ran at 80+ % until it hung at 13% complete during the encoding process.  At this time the cpu remained fairly consistant at 13%.  In subsequent attempts, the input was halved (from 2 hours to 1, etc) with the same results.  I was able to cut a dvd that worked with a timeline of 4:30 minutes. Prior to taking all this video, I did some preliminary testing with the camera and dvd production to gain some confidence in the overall process. (Surprise)

Here's the particulars:

System:

• Dell XPS Studio 435T/9000
        • CPU: Intel I7 940: 4 cores, 2.93ghz, hyperthreading
        • Memory: 6GB - ddr3
        • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series - Driver 8.821.00 / 1/26/2011
        • HDD: (Sata II)
          •   C:\ 500 GB (233GB free) - operating system / programs.
          •   D: 1TB (700GB Free) - Data
          •   Page File: C:\ - system managed - 6434mb allocated.
      • OS: Windows Vista Home Premium - 64bit - SP2 - all latest patches/fixes
      • Premiere Elements - 9 - newly installed from retail CD - no  updates.

Assets:

• 20 GB (70 .mov files) - 2hours timeline duration - max - failed.
      • 4minute timeline succeeded.

Project:

• Timeline - 2 hours - failed
      • Timeline - 4 minutes - succeeded.
      • Preset - used both NTSC's.

Workflow:

• goal was to create a simple  DVD with 2 hours of concantenated .mov files for timeline.  No transitions, effects, ect. were used.  Started with 2 hours of timeline - the media encoding went 13% of duration (cpu ran >80%) before it lapsed into a hang or loop where cpu posted 13%.  Continued on by halving the timeline multiple times - duration would changed but ended the same with a 13% cpu hang.  Finally succeed with a 4 minute timeline.

Concerns:

• PE9 system requirements specify 3GHz for HD - not sure if this is required for 720 at 30 fps.
      • Process did succeed for small amount of input - am I doing something wrong?
      • Should I be looking at any other video software?

Thank you for reviewing this - I am somewhat new to PE, as well as the various intricate issues and  problems video editing offers.  I hope what I provided is sufficient.

• 1. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For cases, where PrE hangs, this ARTICLE will give you a checklist, plus links to other articles, that might help.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
            mstanleyg Level 1

Hi Bill - thanks for the quick response and information you provided!! -

through it I found I was missing an update to PE9 - which, unfortunately,

when applied did not resolve my problem.  Everything that was suggested in

the article, is pretty much up to snuff on my system here.  At this point

I'm going to start playing with the video files (import them via a different

method, resize the timeline, etc) and see if any clues jump out.

One thing bothering me is a system requirement for HD files - the dox

specifies a need for a 3GHz processor for HD files.  The .mov files I have

were created from camera video that is 1080 x 720 which I believe is HD.

Could the processor speed ( I have a 4 core 2.93GHz I& Processor with 6GB of

memory) be an issue?  I tend to disbelieve this since I was able to cut a

DVD with a 4 minute timeline, as well as travel well into the timelines on

other occassions before entering what I think is a loop.

Any hints or additional advice is well appreciate.  Thanks again for your

response.

Mike G

• 3. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

That CPU spec. is for a single-core processor. Your Quad-Core, while not the latest, or fastest, should not be the issue here. In general terms, I feel that a Quad-Core is the min. CPU, with an i7 - 9xx being better with HD material. You should be OK, though obviously, some operatons might not transpire as quickly, as you would like. With AVCHD, and H.264 (AVCHD is but one sub-set of H.264), the CPU carries the bulk of the load, with the I/O and RAM the rest. With HDV and SD material, the roles are reversed a bit.

Did you see the link to Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up Tips in the Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine article. I highly recommend those. The FAQ sub-forum here also has many useful OS, and machine tune up tips. Most were taken directly from the Appendix of Steve Gresetti's excellent book on PrE.

Good luck, and hope that you isolate the problem with the Project.

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                Ted Smith Level 3

I believe the speed of the processor only affects the time it takes, not whether it will work or not.

I suspect Adobe only publish a spec because they would get too many complaints if someone tried to use it on something like a 386!

On the subject of CPU requirements, I have an old 2.4gz Dual Core with 3gb RAM (3 Sata hard disks)  and it works perfectly with AVCHD 1900x1080i HD.

If you dont use any special effects, you dont even need to render the transition to see a perfectly smooth preview and you can zip up and down a 1 hour timeline with only a brief pause delay before it starts to play. (If I want to work faster, I set thumbnails and the sound waveform to off except when I really need them to work on a transtition cut to the sound)

With SD AVI (from DV tape) it is even faster.

Biggest nuisance is it is slow to render HD and I have to set it to make Blue ray disks then go to bed!

I don't attempt to render the whole project, only around the effects I need to accurately preview.

I presume you have set all extraneous other running programs and set the computer power settings to 'alway on' and disabled the screen saver?

• 5. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Those "other programs" are addressed in the link in the article above, called Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine. Many programs and processes will steal CPU cycles, RAM and Virtual Memory (Page File). I mention ways to eliminate those programs and processes, that are not necessary, and then ways to "kill" others, before an editing session.

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                    mstanleyg Level 1

Hi Ted - thanks for the response and information!!  Also for the reassurance

(along with Bill Hunt's) that my I7 quad core processor still had a bit of

life left.  Disabling the screen saver, etc, was not done since the failure

occurred somewhat early in the share process.  I willl take note of that and

the information you added.  Thanks again for your help and insights.

Mike G.

• 7. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                      mstanleyg Level 1

Thanks Bill for the addition information!!  I run Windows Task Manager along

with the PE software to try and guage any outside impact.  Based upon this,

it appears, little cpu or memory resources are used by anything other than

PE in this instance.

Mike G

• 8. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                        mstanleyg Level 1

The cause of my problem has been identified.  It appears that one file in the timeline causes PE to enter into what I believe is a loop (CPU runs 13% continually).  Removing that file and then re-running the entire 2 hour timeline is successful.

My next step is to download the file from the camera via PE, along with other methods to see if it became corrupt during the transfer to the computer.   Somewhat interesting is that I am able to play back the file via Quicktime, with no problems.

I have more work to do on this, but I wanted to post that I have a circumvention to my original problem.  Many thanks to Bill Hunt and Ted Smith who provided rapid and valuable help and information with this.

Mike G

• 9. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Somewhat interesting is that I am able to play back the file via Quicktime, with no problems.

Remember, simple playback is very different, than editing that same file. Playability can be a useful gauge sometimes, but not when it comes to editing that same file.

If the new Import does not work any better, I would look into perhaps converting that problem file to something that PrE might handle better. If it gets down to that, post the full specs. of that file, and someone can likely suggest how best to convert it. Also note: PrE (and PrPro) are very strict with aspects, like the file's header info. Some other programs, not so much. It could be as simple as opening the file in something like VLC Player, or QT Pro, and then doing a Save, choosing the same format/CODEC. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Good luck, and I hope that the new download/Import will handle everything.

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                            VDOSurfer Level 3

Good to know that you isolated the problem. Was that file any different as compared to the other files? What was the difference?

• 11. Re: PE9 - system hangs (loops) during media encoding with large .mov files
                              mstanleyg Level 1

I haven't been able to discern any differences between this and the other

110 .mov files that I uploaded from the camera - this is based simply on

information found in 'properties, etc.'  The file was created midstream of

all my video taking and nothing sticks out.  At this point I am not aware of

what I should explore regarding differences in the file (structure, headers,

or whatever).  I did try uploading the file via windows, copying it directly

from the SD card, and via the camera software again.  All versions failed

immediately when I tried to burn (share) the file alone.  In fact, when I

ran PE' Auto Analyzer, the process hung at ~88% completion and never

finished.

I'm new to PE - should I forward this problem to Adobe support?  Seems to me

that a program should not hang or loop due to a problem with input data

(this video file)  - rather an error message should be generated.  I'm also

going to trying re-coding the file into a different format (per Bill Hunt's

suggestion) for further processing.

thanks for your interest

Mike G