3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 8:27 PM by pbesong

Attaching .SCC captions for preview in Program Monitor

Art.Morgan

The new feature that allows preview of captions in the PP CS5.5 Program Monitor seems very promising and useful.  However, it also seems finicky, and I'm hoping someone can help.

At first I thought it was not working at all.  I selected a sequence in my test project, went to Closed  Captioning -> Attach File, and selected an .SCC file.   I'm using a file that I know works in many other applications.  PP doesn’t give  any immediate feedback, but I assume the link is made. The Clear Data option is no longer greyed out.  Then I go to  Closed Captioning Display > Enable as described in Help, play the  sequence, but no captions show.

Then I started trying some other SCC sample files, with varying results.  The one that works best is a sample that comes from Apple, here:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/ClosedCaptionImporter/Introduction/Intr o.html (download sample code)

So it appears that there are some things that PP's .scc parser does not handle, but I don't know what.  Does anyone know if the scc file should be non-drop frame, or drop frame?  Are there other restrictions in .scc file that would prevent it from working?  Any way to debug the problem?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Attaching .SCC captions for preview in Program Monitor
          DavidB_QE

One thing that can cause SCC closed caption blocks to only appear in the Program Monitor for a second or two at a time is saving the SCC file with a caption data lowest limit of 00:00:00. Saving the SCC file with a five or ten frame caption data lowest limit fixes this problem. My understanding of the caption data lowest limit is that you are giving the caption data time to buffer before display. This is required do to the temporal nature of the closed captioning data.

I viewed the “Example.scc” that you referenced from the Apple web site and found that it played back and previews in Premiere Pro’s Program Monitor with just a couple of strange word wrapping issues. I don’t know why those five or six closed caption blocks had strange word wrapping issue so I will log a bug on that. In general, Premiere Pro’s SCC parser was built to support the SCC 608 specification. I’m not aware of any unique restrictions in the Premiere Pro closed captioning parser. And using non-drop verses drop frame should not make a difference.

I hope this helps you out. I appreciate seeing interest in the feature. Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Attaching .SCC captions for preview in Program Monitor
            Art.Morgan Level 1

Some additional background, as I noticed that someone else is having this same problem:

We tried moving the start of the captions to 2 seconds in, but still couldn't get the captions to display.  I work for a company that provides an online captioning service, and even  though our customers use the .scc format daily, and it works with FCP  and Compressor, among other options, I still haven't been able to get it to work with the CS5.5 preview feature (admitedly, we haven't been able to spend much time troubleshooting since then).  SCC files from MacCaption work  fine, as does the Apple sample file.  My best  guess at this point is that the problem has something to do with  caption prefix codes related to caption positioning.  If anyone has any other clues, let me know.

• 3. Re: Attaching .SCC captions for preview in Program Monitor
              pbesong Level 1

I have (after a lot of testing) discovered that Adobe Premiere CS5.5 will not display SCC captions if there is more than one instance of 94ae (clear buffer) in the file, so I put this code on the first line only. Also, to prevent multiline captions from re-writing themselves on subsequent captions, the code 942c (clear screen) should be at the end of each caption. I now end each line with 942c 942f. Having 942f 942f at the end of a caption seems to cause it to flash on and off so quickly you can't even read it. If the caption is to be broadcast, each of the commands are typically doubled up for redundancy in case the signal is garbled in transmission, so Adobe should support all double commands.