7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 10:19 AM by 1013media

budAPI - Do I really need it?

1013media

Hi there.

Now into my second full week of debugging, I'm starting to look with more scrutiny towards my Xtras.

Regarding budAPI: I'm authoring using Director 11.5 on an Intel Mac Pro (3,1), and have created cross-platform projectors.

What is not clear to me is "do I even need to include BudAPI?" Removing it seems to make no difference with the (crappy) performance of my projector on Windows (Mac version works great).

Question 2 is: "What does registration give me?" - I'm only needing to play back quicktime movies, which is supposed to be handled by Director now, anyhow.

The only problem I'm having is choppy .mov playback within the interface. When playing off of DVD-ROM, I can't get more than about 5fps from the 15fps source files. Playing them directly out of the SRC folder, and they achieve 15fps no problem - so it's not a throughput issue from the drive. Problem is consistent across all windows operating systems on multiple machines.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice..

-greg

• 1. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

It doesn't sound like you're using Buddy API so there's no point in either including it or registering it. It is a script xtra and won't help with QT playback.

You say you're getting 5 FPS when you expect 15, but which CODEC does your QT file use and what data rate does it plays back at? Try lowering Director's frame rate while QT is playing - that might give your CPU more time to process the video file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
            1013media Level 1

Hi, Sean and thanks for your response.

All QT media assets have been encoded as follows:

480x320

h.264 (max bitrate = 420kbps)

15 fps

audio: AAC / 22.050 / 96kb

All files are in a "src" folder.

Files play at 15fps with audio sync off the DVD right from their source folder, no problem.

Projector works great when run from hard drive on any machine, which to me possibly eliminates scripting errors?

It's only when played via the interface, off of disc, that we have trouble.

Again, mac projector works on everything from a iBook to the latest Macbook Pro and just about everything in betwixt.

I'm a video editor by trade, so the encoding part isn't voodoo - and it's a standard that's been used in the past with success for similar projects.

Interesting thought, lowering the tempo - I'll try that next and burn a disc... Will keep you posted!

Thanks again - I appreciate it.

Best,

-greg

• 3. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
              1013media Level 1

Hi again, Sean...

So, I dropped the tempo down to 15fps, and then to 10fps for the range of frames that contain all of the media. I'm happy to say it now runs on XP via Fusion on my mac, as well as on a aged Thinkpad T43p with XP SP2 and very limited resources. There is still the occasional stutter, but it's 100% better than it was. I owe you a beer!

However, the problem persists with Vista (via Fusion) - even with Aero turned off, and also with Win7 - even on a 3D workstation with 24Gigs of RAM and 12 cores of processor power.

I'm going to next try and swap out a handful of the .mov files with .wmv or mpeg4 and see if it's to do with QT player or what.

Back to budAPI though: does it include any functionality that would aid in playback of quicktime assets, even if on a system level? I've pored through the features list on the buddy site, but haven't found anything that jumps out to my (untrained) eye.

Thanks again,

-greg

• 4. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
                jchunick Level 2

With specs like 12 core processor and 24GB RAM that sounds more like an issue with your setup than an issue with anything else. From your video specs I cannot see having any sort of problem running it on my win7 64-bit or Vista PCs with 4GB of RAM.

I would definitely try testing on a PC and not through Fusion because that setup sounds like the culprit to me if I'm understanding it correctly.

• 5. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
                  1013media Level 1

Hey there, jchunick...

The 12-core/24G machine is not running fusion, but Win7, natively. Fusion is only my 8-core mac pro. Projector works great on XP via Fusion, and also on the old IBM Thinkpad T43p running XP SP2.

The reason I think it's a broad incompatibility between my projector and Win7/Vista is because the projector runs poorly on not only the 3D Workstation with ample resources but also on a "civilian" Win7 machine with a normal amount of ram and processor power.

Basically, there is no difference in performance between Win7 on a high end computer and Win7 on a low-end computer, or on Vista via Fusion.

I read last night that it's possible to run things in "Compatibility Mode" or as an Administrator on Win7 & Vista - so I'll try this first thing when I get to the office today and see if its a 64-bit/32-bit issue, or permissions.

Historically, has there been any merit to authoring the windows projector on a windows machine, and the mac from a mac?

Thanks,

-greg

• 6. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
                    jchunick Level 2

1013greg wrote:

Hey there, jchunick...

The 12-core/24G machine is not running fusion, but Win7, natively. Fusion is only my 8-core mac pro. Projector works great on XP via Fusion, and also on the old IBM Thinkpad T43p running XP SP2.

The reason I think it's a broad incompatibility between my projector and Win7/Vista is because the projector runs poorly on not only the 3D Workstation with ample resources but also on a "civilian" Win7 machine with a normal amount of ram and processor power.

Basically, there is no difference in performance between Win7 on a high end computer and Win7 on a low-end computer, or on Vista via Fusion.

I read last night that it's possible to run things in "Compatibility Mode" or as an Administrator on Win7 & Vista - so I'll try this first thing when I get to the office today and see if its a 64-bit/32-bit issue, or permissions.

Historically, has there been any merit to authoring the windows projector on a windows machine, and the mac from a mac?

Thanks,

-greg

So, I didn't understand things correctly. I understand what your setup is now. That is odd, then. It's been about 10 years since I've authored on the mac so I don't have any knowledge of any issues going from mac to PC.

Trying to switch compatibility mode is quick so I'd try that, too. But have you tried using any of the native video formats Director now supports and see how those play?...

Re-reading your posts I see that it plays fine on all systems if run from HDD and NOT from the DVD... but when running from the DVD drive it's choppy. That would indicate to me it could be the burning to DVD process which you might want to try doing on a PC.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: budAPI - Do I really need it?
                      1013media Level 1

Hi jchunick,

So, first thing this morning, I ran the Start.exe file in compatibility mode (and as an administrator) in both Vista and Win7, via Fusion and on a real-life windows box - and this seems to have solved the choppy playback!

The temptation was to slide open the bottom drawer of my file cabinet and grab the celebratory bottle of single-malt scotch, but given the hour, that'll have to wait...

Anyhow, I'm going through the project now, one asset at a time to ensure everything is accounted for, and I'm about 40% through it with no hiccups.

I did just burn another version that eliminates a few Xtras, like the shockwave decompression one that Director seems to like to place in there by default, and eliminating BudAPI from the roster, too.

Seems like a combination of several factors were at the root of this evil - I'm thrilled to be making forward progress...

I'll post an update either way later today...  Thank you, Sean and jchunick, for your advice and suggestions...

Rock on,

-greg