7 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 10:57 AM by Bushy162

Blue solid - screen gradient

Bushy162

at it's most prominent parts, it doesn't let light through, and at it's most outer part, it's a screen.

increasing screen value

in the centre, it's not a screen at all, and as it gets further outwards, it gradually becomes more of a screen. when i say "gets further outwards", i DON'T mean it travels, i mean like a square has a centre, edges and then a bit in-between called AREA. As we move our attention to more outer parts of the square…..

That's what I mean by "gets further outwards",  

JuSt for ClaRificAtion

• 1. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Errr ... is this poetry?

• 2. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you are talking about a gradient used as a track matte. Pre-compose your gradient layer moving all attributes then use the pre-comp as a luma track matte for the layer below.

• 3. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
              Bushy162 Level 1

No, no don't believe that is what I'm talking about, but I might be wrong. I know how to make a gradient of opacity, that's easy, just feather a white mask and then set the layer below to luma track matte. I'm not wanting that though. That's visibility. No, no no no.. Ok, listen carefully :D:

I've got a solid layer. It's blue, and it's masked to the shape of a rectangle. Now, imagine there's a gradient on that rectangle. BUT, what type of gradient you ask. WELL, I have the answer::::  screenal gradient. Screen means allows light values through. Screenal gradient means "Changing amount of light allowed through.

So, the most outer parts of the rectangle are very screeny - they let alot of light through

Inner parts aren't so screeny - they hardly let any light through

Do I need to explain it more clearly, or have you got it?

• 4. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
                shooternz Level 6

I dont got it!

• 5. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've never heard the word "screenal" before.

I interpret your description to mean you want varying amounts of the Screen transfer mode to occur within your blue rectangular solid.  To my mind, this is simply achievable by duplicating your blue solid and applying transperancy to the upper version.  The lower version (Screen Layer) is solid and set to Screen.  The ramped-transperancy version on top is set to Normal (Normal Layer).  The result is that, where the Normal Layer has 100% opacity, no pixels of the Screen Layer are visible. Where the Normal Layer has 0% opacity, the Screen Layer is 100% visible.  Anything in between is a mixture of Normal pixel value and Screen pixel value.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may also create a gradient, make it a 3D layer, put it between a light and some other 3D layer, set the light transmission to 100%, Cast shadows to Only, and you end up with a filter in front of the light. Is that what you're after???

Check out this old tutorial.

Here's a CS5 project file using a gradient shape layer as a Gobo. Pay close attention to the materials controls of the shape layer.

goboProject.png

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Blue solid - screen gradient
                      Bushy162 Level 1

Thanks a lot you legend!! That's what i was after. And by the way if you want me to give your answer "Answer Status" just post a copy of your answer cos i clicked "helpful" and now it won't let me change it to "this is the answer"..